High Pings and Ping Jitter with CGN3 and CGN3AC Modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: High Pings and Ping Jitter with CGN3 and CGN3AC Modem

Thanks for the quick reply.

Please note that right now it is fairly early on wednesday and usually I would have perfect ping.  However for the past 2 days I haven't had good ping at any time at all (Good as in no spikes like I usually have)  If I were to do this in the evening im sure it would get worse.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Those ping times are still high.  I'd say that you should be in the very low 20 ms range or less, all the way to google.com.  No packet loss however.  I'd wait until the packet loss shows up and then call in.  

I Plan to Stick Around

How would I know if there is packet loss?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

D'oh, sorry, confusing you with someone else.  Looking back on your pingplots, you don't appear to have packet loss problem.  In your case the problem shows up in high ping times.  So, have a look later in the evening to see how much of an increase there is.  If and when there is a marked increase in those ping times, call into Tech Support. 

If you look at post # 32 on the following thread you can see the packet loss indicated on the plot.  The packet loss shows up in the PL% column.  You can also display that on the graph by right clicking on the graph and selecting "Show Packet Text Loss on Graph".

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/page/4/thread-...

I Plan to Stick Around

A senior tech is coming in later today.  Should I try to explain that I think it has to do with the node or will they not know what that is?  Also I didnt set the time so I don't know if it'll be when the ping is really bad, should I ignore the call if it isnt terrible or should I just have him come anyway.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Explain to the tech what you are seeing with the ping times.  Hopefully the tech will understand what you are getting at.  I'd leave pingplotter up and running for data collection purposes.  Show him or her what you see with pingplotter and show some of the previous plots that you posted that have much higher ping times.  Unfortunately, a lot of problems like these show up in the evening when there is a greater load on the node, and, the techs arrive during the day when the reduced load makes it difficult if not impossible to diagnose.  But, wait to see what happens.....

I Plan to Stick Around

Alright the senior techs just left.  It was a great change having them actually know what I was talking about.  However they tested the cables outside and also changed my router to the CGN3(none ac one) but still no luck.  They say the node doesn't have icmp so they wouldnt be able to ping it to check the speeds but, also mentioned they don't think its the node.  They also said that the 2nd hop was their's since it was a 7.x.x.x ip.  I asked if they could find a way to re route it but they don't have the power to do so even thought they have been senior techs for 15 years.  I'm at a loss here and guessing I should just switch to bell when my subscribtion finishes.  I really prefer rogers and thats why I have been with them for over 10 years so it is unfortunate.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There wouldn't be any way around the node, that's the way that the neighborhoods are wired, modem, local tap, node, Cable Modem Termination System, Rogers system ..... everywhere else.  Are you still seeing high ping times downstream?  If so, then the maintenance staff should probably be involved.  Did the techs indicate if they had closed the ticket or is it still open at this point, and did they indicate if they were going to escalate this to the maintenance staff?

I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure what you mean by downstream pings but, they did not mention escalating it to the maintence staff.  How do I get into contact with them?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

By downstream pings, I'm referring to the ping times as shown from the 7.xxx.xxx.xxx address or beyond within the Rogers system.  The path to take at the present time is to send a pm to @CommunityHelps and ask the mods to escalate the issue.