High Pings and Ping Jitter with CGN3 and CGN3AC Modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: High Pings and Ping Jitter with CGN3 and CGN3AC Modem

Just wanted to provide a quick update, after a bit of back and forth messaging and further testing the node and modem the results came up great yet the latency/jitter was still present, so we sent a ticket to the enginnering team and managed to resolve the problems  and everythings looking great now! Thank you @Datalink and @CommunityHelps

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, I'm new to these forums and am here as an absolute last result. I've been calling Rogers for almost 2 months now regarding high jitter with occasional packet loss and degraded speeds between 7-10pm. Pretty much I'm convinced it's either congested node or truck line.

I primarily use my internet for fps shooting online and I cannot anymore in the evenings.

I am on a wired connection. I have had several techs to my house. When I do speed checks from either the Rogers speedcheck or ping test.net I get very similar results with hitter as high as 700ms, but usually between 50 and 150ms. Sometimes I get no connection whatsoever in the evining. My internet is flawless throughout the days.

I have no idea if Rogers is going to fix it and am looking for some advice on trying to get maitnance of the engineers to look at when its acting up and not throughout the day.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to 100% confirm.. since the techs dont always look at all the finer details.. stuff can be 'within spec' but still cause a lot of issues.

Are you able to post your signal levels, both at a GOOD time and a BAD time?

Just to see if there is any variance.
Or any leads in there as to what could be causing it.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm responding here in hopes of also getting some help. Ever since we changed our plan to the ignite 100 and received this modem, I have been having this problem. The ping is absolutely awful throughout the day, and to top it off, there are also periods where there is a ton of packet loss that lasts anywhere from 5-10 minutes. It basically makes the internet downright unusable.

Apparently this issue was reported over a year ago and there still hasn't been any fix? I'm on the latest firmware on the CGN3AC modem (4.5.8.16)...truly unacceptable.

I can't even get the advertised speeds most of the time now. Gaming is awful and streaming videos also suffers. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1.  Can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS..... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread?

2.  Run a wired speedtest at http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html and www.speedtest.net using the Toronto Telus server and post the results. 

3.  Are you running via ethernet or wifi, where you are seeing slow download rates and high ping times.

4.  Are you in a house, apartment, condo, highrise, etc, etc, which can make a difference in the next device that the modem connects to.

5.  Please confirm that you do have a CGN3ACSMR as seen by the product sticker at the back of the modem.

Just to note, of all of the 24x8 modems in use in Canada, the CGN3ACSMR with firmware version 4.5.8.16 loaded looks like it has the least amount of latency to and thru the modem.  If you compare that to DSL however, that latency time is high in comparison.  So, depending on what your previous modem was, you will have different opinions about your current situation.  The important factors for this modem are the signal levels and signal to noise ratios as shown in the DOCSIS WAN page and the node or MDU performance, which is the next device that modem communicates with.  Wifi is not great on any of the combined modem/router boxes, so, if wifi performance is a must for what you are normally running, you will probably want to consider buying a good third party router and run the modem in Bridge mode. 

I Plan to Stick Around

1. Here is the signal strength at around 6 pm. The pings to google right now aren't bad and are around 17-30 ms usually, which is much much better than yesterday. So I guess this would be considered a "good" time. Yesterday was just abysmal though, with ping spikes up to 150-240 ms constantly.

http://imgur.com/r0TuCIS

Wired connection (through powerline on my desktop)

Here is the Speedtest from the Telus server:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4895925310.png

3. I am on wired, however this is through a powerline adapter running to my router. I have a desktop and the modem is in the other room, so I can't really drag this over to do a proper wired test. My laptop has a fairly good AC card and I have a high end AC router though, and the speedtest results are even better than through my powerline adapter.

4. I'm in a house.

5. Yes, my Modem is the CGN3ACSMR as per the sticker on the back.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm, well, you have a few challenges there.  The first thing I would do is go out and buy a 50 or 100 ft Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable for test purposes.  I have one kicking around for occasions where a direct connection test is required.  Connect your modem directly to the pc to determine what the modem will provide thru an ethernet connection.  Running a wired, directly connected test provides the baseline by which you can judge the rest of the system.  Until then, you're guessing.  The problems that you saw might be attributable to node overloading, which is the next device downstream, or, perhaps one of your neighbors was running some high power electrical tools which brought your signal to noise ratios in the powerline equipment right down, killing your data rates, or some combination of both.  And then of course, throw in wifi issues.  A direct connection will provide a clearer picture of what is going on.  If you happen to have a laptop that you can connect to the modem, that might suffice.  Just be careful with that one as not all laptops can handle the higher data rates at 250 Mb/s or higher.  We have an an Acer laptop/ultrabook that won't go much beyond 200 Mb/s while the service peaks out at 328 Mb/s, as tested with desktops and gaming laptop.  So, it just depends on what your internet plan is and what your laptop will accept on a speedtest. 

Your signal levels on the downstream aren't great.  The signal to noise ratios are ok, as are the upstream signal levels.  If you call tech support to run a cable signal check, the CSR can do that, but, any observations you are making will be met by a request to for you to run a direct connection for test purposes.  So, if you do that first, and see that the download rates are nowhere near what they should be, that will provide some necessary ammunition to get a tech out to your home.  As it is, even with the signal levels where they are, you probably won't see a tech anytime soon.  But, if your seeing slow data rates and problems with any other service such as Cable TV, thats a different matter. 

The normal signal levels are 0 dBmV on the downstream with 36 to 40 dB for a signal to noise ratio.  The upstream is normally within a 36 to 40 dBmV range. 

Fwiw, there is a new generation of Powerline adapters out on the market now.  These use all three of the electrical wires for signal purposes, as specified in the HomePlug AV2 MIMO standard, as opposed to one single pair that has been used in the past.  This might be something worth checking out in order to increase the data rate thru the Powerline portion of the network.  Here's a link to the most recent review:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2868314/home-networking/the-essential-guide-to-buying-a-homeplug-eth...

It might be worth having a look at your electrical panel and determining if both the transmitter and receiver circuits are on the same side of the panel.  If not, find another room for the receiver adapter that would put it near the desktop, and would be located on the same side of the electrical panel.  That way, the signal path would be from the transmitter adapter parked near the modem, down to the electrical panel, down or up along the bus bar internal to the panel on the right or left hand side, and then out to the transmitter adapter.  That keeps the path length down and keeps the background noise to a minimum as well, simply due to the path and path length. 

Are you in a bungalow, or multi-story house.  If its a bungalow, you could consider replacing the router antenna with higher gain antenna.  They will squash the radiated power which is in the shape of a ball surrounding the router, reduce the power in the vertical dimension and radiate more power in the horizontal dimension.  The end result is a higher signal level and signal to noise ratio at the remote end of the wifi network, and higher data rates (on the same floor that is).  That might be enough to allow you to park the router at the modem and simply run wifi from that location. 

Do you run the Powerline equipment encrypted?  It should be to ensure that there isn't anyone else in the neighborhood accessing your network thru the Powerline network.

So, consider the long test ethernet cable or run a wired laptop and let us know what the results are.  That alone might prompt you to call tech support to run a signal check and get a tech out to your home. 

What internet plan are you on?  60/10, 100/10, 250/20

Rogers Contact Number 1-888-764-3771 (1-888-ROGERS1)

I'm a Regular

What is a good ping and jitter for online gaming?

What should my ping and jitter range be at ?
I'm a Regular

What's the best way to test my ping and jitter , when doing a speed test on my Xbox one I'm getting pings of 72 -76 is that high ?
I'm a Regular

And when running a speed test wired on Rogers speed check , to my router I'm getting pings around 8- 10ms and jitter 3- 5