High Pings and Ping Jitter with CGN3 and CGN3AC Modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: High Pings and Ping Jitter with CGN3 and CGN3AC Modem

http://gyazo.com/016f38acedcd54a0abd84a2524715f34

The problem has to be something with rogers

I have tried every option

I am just getting enough proof so that when i break my contract i dont get fined

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

If you run multiple traces, are your results similar or do the response times vary a lot?

While you're not seeing as bad of a problem on 7.11.163.21 as I am, you're still getting values which are way too high for a hop that close to you. I wouldn't be surprised if running further traces will start showing results in the 100+ range. You should call support and tell them about the problem on that specific hop.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well out of nowhere my internet was fixed about a week ago.

in my case they needed to do a segment upgrade in my area which instantly fixed my internet.

http://gyazo.com/d7fd890e583accee268a9c38f8ef2d7d

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you remind me as to which modem you have, and have you been following the firmware release for the CGN3ACSMR which fixes the issue for League of Legends and the general latency through the modem?  The firmware for the CGN3 and CGN3AC does not have a release date as of yet for a firmware fix to correct the latency issue.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the CGN3ACSMR, and i havnt been following 

however when i check ping times to the gateway it is alot better

still not <1 ms but it stays around 3-6ms

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, if you haven't been following the forum with regards to the updated firmware for the CGN3ACSMR, have a look at the first post of the following thread, and then send @CommunityHelps a private message with the Cable Account Number and the Modem MAC address.  The firmware should be updated later in the day or overnight, which will drop the latency to and through the modem.  That should help to some degree, and give you a better idea of the latency through the network by removing the modem latency component.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/2532...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi everyone,

It's unfortunate that other individuals are experiencing this problem, however I am not surprised!

As requested from other members on this thread, I am still experiencing packet loss and high pings. For example when pinging www.google.ca i get the following result:

http://snag.gy/u03pg.jpg

I've spoken with many techs and I was told this issue is an "area" issue and rogers maitenance will have to service the area. Although I've been experiencing this problem since November of 2014, the area ticket was created in March 20th of 2015. I sometimes get text messages indicating that they are still working on the issue...

Anyway, I pretty much gave up on Rogers. Lately my internet has been so bad that I can't even load webpages properly. Forget trying to stream music or videos from youtube, soundcloud, or netflix. I can't even open a reddit thread without having to click refresh 10 times. It is extremely frusturating, and I plan on leaving rogers if the issue is not resolved when I get back from Europe in August.

For now, I just call in and complain and ask for my internet fees to get credited back to me. There is no way I'm paying full price for this awful internet (I'm not even on a contract).

My advice is just to keep calling in and complaining. Bonus points if you can get more members in your area to call in too. 

Good luck everyone. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just discovered this thread.

I have been expericing this problem for almost 2 years......and Rogers has been making it out to be MY issue.

Unacceptable service.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not sure why this got moved here... (one of the mods must have moved it)

If you have been having issues for 2 years, its not an issue with the CGN3..

hasnt been out that long

If you provide some info, maybe some of us can see if anything directly pops up.

What/where are you getting the ping/jitter.
Is it with everything, or just specific games, etc.
Are you able to post your signal levels

how/what  you have connected to your modem

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have had line "jitter" for over 2 years....and they keep sending tech repair people that either can only swap a modem, or Teir 2 says..."not our equipment".

When I first moved in here........perfect connection, so I know it is possible to have that kind of connection.

According to speedtest.net...... I have 5% line jitter and a "B" class line.

I pay for a "A" class line.