cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Ping/Latency, unable to play game for month now.

Lee03
I've been around

Pretty sure I'm not the only one but for the last months or so I have been having high ping/latency during gaming, I play shooter so its crucial to have a low ping.

Called techs to come to my place 3 times already and the last time I was told I'm not the only one having this problem and rogers is doing some work since Jan this year (around the time I started having issue), is this still going? When will this end? Why aren't we notified before they start?

I just hope someone can give a date when this will be fixed, the techs have done everything they can and are certain there is nothing wrong on my end...

**Labels Added**

3 REPLIES 3

Re: High Ping/Latency, unable to play game for month now.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Lee03  If you run a ping test (on Windows, the command would be: "ping -n 3600 -w 20000 8.8.8.8"), what are you seeing for your min, max and average round trip times, and how much packet loss are you seeing?

In my area, Rogers recently made some network changes associated with infrastructure upgrades that had some disastrous results.  They reverted some of those changes on Tuesday and things are now settling down.  My ping RTTs to 8.8.8.8 are now peaking at 35ms.

If you are seeing different ping RTTs to your game servers than to 8. 8.8.8, the problems may be due to issues that are outside of Rogers control.

Vandyrew
I've been around
Wow, if this is true.. That's truly. Messed up. I too, have been having terrible ping spikes/packet loss the past few months.. I thought it might've been because I had a temp line put up for my house last year and it was wearing out or something. How could they have just left this unaddressed.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Vandyrew wrote:
Wow, if this is true.. That's truly. Messed up. I too, have been having terrible ping spikes/packet loss the past few months.. I thought it might've been because I had a temp line put up for my house last year and it was wearing out or something. How could they have just left this unaddressed.

If you have a bad line, you will end up with transmission errors and packet loss, and you could end up with a situation where the network does not perform well; like an engine that runs rough.

Latency spikes are the result of slowdowns somewhere on the network path between your home and whatever end-system on the Internet that you are trying to communicate with.  It could be that a router is temporarily unable to forward packets, or it could be caused by some other slowdown that causes data to get backed up (and queued in a buffer, but not lost), similar to a clogged drain.  The slowdowns may or may not be a Rogers network problem.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation