Help - Monthly Internet Usage has spiked

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Help - Monthly Internet Usage has spiked

One more thing to check is to make sure all your computers, smartphones and tablets are free from malware or viruses. Sudden spike in internet usage is often a red flag for virus activity. Make sure you have a quality security software in place on all your devices. Comprehensive review of firewall logs from the date internet usage had spiked might help you to identify the cause of the spike.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

sgabrjolek wrote:

My usage has spiked on the bell network why do we not get axcess in rural areas to city areas? I am a few miles away from these places I want unlimited axcess, what is wrong with these companies they are greedy. well bell and rogers you will be done soon I hope tv is gone the internet is next yes one les customer does not make a difference. 

I am not sure what rural/vs city areas have to do with anything?

While sometimes SPEED may be a factor, at least for WIRED internet, etc..  you may only be able to get a slower package, but both bell and rogers, offer unlimited addons to their services.. no matter what package you are on (cost may varry based on what services you have)

There are also many 3rd party companies which sometime offer unlimited, and will often service the same areas as rogers/bell.
Only issue you run into, is when you are OUT of a serviceable area for wired internet.. when you run into having to use cellular based.

For usage.. It can happen on ANY network to anyone. 
Knoledge is power.  Know what your usage habits are like, and what the normal amount used for those times are.
Know how much what you do, uses up (1 HD netflix movie, etc). 
Keeping track of these things, you can easily monitor your usage and look for odball things.
I can go in, and go "Yup.. this much usage for regular, plus wife watched two things on netflix, oh, and downloaded one album of this size... yup, thats pretty accurate"

Even little things.. while i encourage everyone to do windows updates... set them to NOTIFY you when new, but not download till you say, etc.  So you KNOW when things are downloading.  I have seen PCs where a windows update was stuck downloading for 2 days, suck in a loop or something. That will eat usage.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Netflix has become such a convenient excuse for rogers to blame everything on the consumer when in reality the issue is with their faulty data counters. Seriously. Log on to Netflix. You can view your account setting and streaming options. Setting the quality to "medium" uses .7MG per hour. That is absolutely minuscule, and is IMPOSSIBLE to chew through your data unless you streamed non stop, NEVER taking a break, for 3-4 solid days. Rogers sure do love to scam their customers, which is why I left.
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Sisterawake777:

I may be in the minority, but can't say. My internet usage statistics are completely accurate and always have been. I check it every day or 2 and have never seen questionable usage. As for Netflix, I occasionally watch it and use Super HD for quality. The usage for that is quite noticeable, of course.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have to agree with Jimboden.. within about a 30mb.. my usage is pretty accurate.

At .7g on medium.. with say 2 hours a day usage.. you are looking at about 45g a month used up just for netflix.

MOST people i know.. stream on higher than medium to get the picture quality.. (i beleive, a new account DEFAULTS you to high as well, so if a user is not aware and doesnt go in and change it)
On high, you are looking at up to 3g / hour.  same 2 hours a day... thats up to 6g a day... 180 a month!
Let alone, if you are running software (win8 netflix app) or a device which supports SUPER-HD.. you can use up to 5g a hour.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Oh i agree.. netflix should not be a DEFAULT excuse.

But i can understand if they mentioned it to people. 
MOST people are not aware of WHAT Their usage is.. and what uses what. 

A lady at work, who is on ANOTHER provider.. I think only with a 50g or 60g or so usage.. Over the summer she started to go over.
She has 3 kids at home all day... Each of them was watching 6+ hours a day usually of youtube videos.

That potentially could run up a fair bit.. even on LOWER settings.  
But most people.. kids, etc specifically, dont always realise that  there is a difference.

You can watch a video in the normal size window in the webpage player... it may all looks the same...
But video A running at a lower resolution... vs a video at 1080p (or even now 4k)... they all look the same in the web video window.... but can be a HUGE difference in the amount of usage that one vs the other will use.

One of my jobs at work, is to monitor internet usage, etc.  Its fun watching a live bandwith monitor... and as a lunch or break time comes, the SPIKE in usage, as people start getting on facebook, viewing pictures, watching videos, etc.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

MIne spiked this month and Rogers blamed it on Netflix, too. The problem is that they show usage for 3 days when no one was in our house. The wifi on my router is off as the house is wired everywhere. When I told Rogers this, I got a long pause, and no advice. I read on DSL reports that there are cases of cloned mac addresses so that other modems appear to Rogers to be mine and I am charged. I don't know if this is accurate, but on our next trip, I will unplug the modem entirely. If there is usage then, I hope Rogers will listen. Not likely, but I can hope.   🙂

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have heard some rumors, on the mac cloning as well... not sure the truth behind it.. but its possible.

One thing to consider, would be a modem swap.. IF the mac has been cloned, then swaping to another would have a different mac address.

Unplugging is also a good idea.

Best bet, if you are doing this... (and suspect higher usage).. would be before you go, to unplug it, and to then give a quick call in.
Inform them that you have unplugged it... have them to a check to make sure they CAN NOT see it.. and have them put a note on the file.   This ensures that they know that its unplugged.
(vs, they have no way to know if you actually DID unplug it or not... there are people, who could try and 'cheat' it, by saying they were away and it was unplugged, when it wasnt and they WERE downloading, etc)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Good advice, as always, GDK.

One question somewhat related, if you don't mind. I recently finally caved and got the doc3 modem from Rogers. You and I swapped posts here about that. I have the 3825 in bridge mode. I did not turn off wifi on the router portion before I put it into bridge mode. I assumed that, in bridge, it didn't matter what router functions were on or off, since the whole router was "off". Is my assumption correct, in your view?

I'm thinking in my parnoid fashion that someone could be hacking the wifi router part of the gateway if my assumption is incorrect.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Everything SHOULD be off, when in bridged mode... that is at least my findings, when i have done it.

ALL that being said.. i guess it IS possible.  Turning them off first, would just double ensure things.
But if you do a scan, and cant find them... and they WERE still on. (just say, hidden?), someone would have to do ALOT of work, to set up a manual connection to them.. they would have to find the right channel.. combined with the right SSID name... then from there break the password, etc.