Help - Monthly Internet Usage has spiked

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Help - Monthly Internet Usage has spiked

I've noticed over the past 2 weeks that my internet usage is spiking.  According to the Rogers Usage Meter, I'm sitting at 100gb after 10 days vs. using 50/60gb tops per month for the last 12 months.  I can see my usage increasing a bit over the christmas holidays but going up 50-75% no way.  There are no P2P or torrents involved as far as I know.  I have a PC, IMAC, couple of Macs and some iPads and phones connected but all used sparingly/ 

I'm trying to find what could be causing.  I'm using the Cisco DPC3825 Gateway modem/router and looking for an easy way to monitor all the devices that are connected. It's set up with WPA2 password security with a 16digit alpha, numeric, capital, uncapital characters, so someone hacking into the password isn't likely given location of the network. 

Can anyone provide some suggestions.  Is there a way to investigate all the devices that may have accessed the network and determine where the bandwidth is being drawn.  Is there software or a device that can be added that would measure the usage to confim if the problem is at my end or at Rogers. 

For now until I have a plan, I've unpluged the DPC3825.  According to Rogers I had no useage yesterday (Jan 9th does not show up); but their network was down too so not sure if that's why.

Any suggestions would be appreciated 

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Help - Monthly Internet Usage has spiked

Unfortunately, with the rogers gateways... or even MOST of your regular commercial routers, there is no way to check to see from WHICH its drawing from.
There are some 3rd party router firmware, like Tomato, which can be installed on some model routers, which will allow this.

Beyond that.. its troubleshoot.. device to device, to find out.

-You have taken the first step.. having it turned off, will prove there is nothing being charged, while its off.
-Next step, would be to turn it back on... but DO NOT have anything connected.. no computers, no phones/ipads.   IF none of your devices are connected, and you do see usage... its either that someone else IS somehow on your network, or something up with the modem itself (you should be able to go swap it then, but will have to reset all your settings).
-From there.. add a device at a time.. and see if/what goes up.  I believe the ipad (as the iphone has it) has its own built in data monitor.. could check that.   Its possible that its a particular device which is causing the issue.  Make sure on the ipads, you do a full shut down (not just the power screen off).    I have had run away apps on my iphone cause high data usage (ended up on cellular).   I have seen 2 users report on here... updates on their  MAC, have got stuck in a loop, and were CONTINUALY downloading.. but there was no way to see this easily.   Could be a virus on the PC consistantly spamming, etc.

I've Been Around

I have the same headache recently. Five days ago,  I started using MAC filter to let only one device allowed to access internet each day, but the usage is still very high; even as high as multi -devices online same time. Then, I suspect if Roger's usage meter is cheating customers. Is it the way Rogers making money from customers?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Perhaps?

But there is MORE than enough people that go over on their own (netflix, etc), without having to do it to others, at least on purpose.
Thats not to say, that there isnt a bug in system that is recording it improperly.

My usage seems about bang on... i dont think its a widespread thing, but there are a number that do report it.

I only recomend my instructions in my post above, just to narrow out ALL possibilities, so you can prove its not comming from your end.

I've Been Around

I have noticed the same thing. I am attempting to monitor it. I am not at all technical so bare with me.  But does multiple phones logged onto my wifi in the house have an affect on my home data usage? As in 5 phones Iphones/Androids all logged on and using for videos, etc?  The phone data is being turned off, but they are using Wifi. 

Silly question? Just sorting this out. 

Thanks 

I'm a Senior Advisor

Every device in your house that uses your wireless network will consume bandwidth on your home Internet plan!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Anything connected wired, wireless, etc on your home connection, will use up usage.

A PC, wii, blu ray, etc thats web connected.. some of them will go out on their own, and download updates, which will use usage.

Any streaming, uploading to facebook, etc, on mobile phones, on wifi, will use usage, etc.

---

If usage is an issue, and you do have tv and home phone with rogers as well, you can add unlimited usage now, for just $10 extra (heck of alot cheaper than overages Smiley Tongue).  If you dont have all 3, you can still add it, but its $30 instead.
Just as an option.

I'm an Advisor

As Gdkitty pointed out: "Anything connected wired, wireless, etc on your home connection, will use up usage.

Last fall I got my wife a new Samsung Galaxy S III smart phone.  Suddenly the usage on my RocketHub has gone up dramatically.  Why?  Well, she loves looking at Utube videos and other video clips which her friends and family point her at through texts and emails.  So, when she is at home her phone connects to our WiFi, and the usage on the WiFi is impacted.

That is in addition to the extra $90 on her cell phone bill last month because she went way over her data plan.  I immediately called Rogers and increased the plan to allow a whole 1 Gbyte a month, instead of the original 200 Mbytes.  That costs "only" $15 per month extra.

Now, why the extra 800 Mbytes cost $90 in overage, and only $15 if in a monthly plan mystifies me.  That is a 600% difference in cost!  And what about the text Rogers was going to send my wife when she approached the 200 Mbytes on her original plan?  My wife claims she did not receive it.  And a Rogers telephone sales person admitted that they are not reliably sent out.  So, go figure.

Just another example of crass opportunism on the part of a big company, I guess.

skinorth

I Plan to Stick Around

i know its terrible cost per mb...

here is an intersting article to give you an idea that ISP's are making 3900% markup on data costs..... why isnt there a law against this?

http://business.financialpost.com/2011/02/05/how-much-does-bandwidth-actually-cost/

Thanks

I've Been Around

My usage has spiked on the bell network why do we not get axcess in rural areas to city areas? I am a few miles away from these places I want unlimited axcess, what is wrong with these companies they are greedy. well bell and rogers you will be done soon I hope tv is gone the internet is next yes one les customer does not make a difference.