cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - How to find router MAC on xb6

catalano11
I plan to stick around

Hello,
So I have set my xb6 technicolor into bridge mode and I have hooked up my xr500 nighthawk as a router. The issue I am having is that I get way higher pings. I have read from the xr500 forums that a fix would be to get my old routers Mac which is the xb6 and change the Mac of the xr500 nighthawk to the old routers Mac (xb6) and it should solve my issue. “ ISP/modem not properly acclimatising to the new MAC until it does a rescan after a few days.” I wanted to know how can I find out my xb6 router MAC? Would I have to take it back out of bridge mode to find out? Also I have seen 3 different MAC in Rogers network settings (10.0.0.1). WAN MAC / CM MAC / MTA MAC I don’t think any of these would be my xb6 router MAC tho. Thank you for the help!

**Labels Added**

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Help - How to find router MAC on xb6

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I honestly can't see that proposed fix making all that much of a difference.  We also still seem to all be dealing with an ongoing issue where we have been seeing higher-than-normal pings for the last two months.  For some, even if the problem of extreme ping spikes (lasting several thousand milliseconds) has been resolved, there is still quite a bit of minor jitter.

I also don't think that you can pull off the proposed workaround that you saw on the Netgear forums either with the XB6 because it does not have a true bridge mode.  The LAN port gets bridged (so that your router can obtain a public/external IP address) but the XB6's Wi-Fi radios still continue to remain active as do its gateway functions so that telephony, LnF for set-top boxes and other connected-home services that it supports can continue to function.

catalano11
I plan to stick around
Thank you for the quick response!
What would be my best option. Use the xb6 alone or continue using my xr500 with xb6 in bridge mode. Reason I ask is because my xb6 alone runs speeds fine 800-950Down / 22-32up but my buffer bloat is horrible especially on the upload I get red bar spikes last long with 1000ms buffer-bloat. With my xr500 I can control buffer bloat so I can somewhat enjoy my internet service. While gaming or video streaming is when I can feel the spikes / delay . I also know that during peak hours this is a common issue since the neighbourhood is all using the internet at the same time. Possible I can have my own dedicated line to the house for something extra a month lol!

catalano11
I plan to stick around
Also now thinking! You said the xb6 is not a true bridge mode? That mean my high ping is probably coming from a double Nat issue now. So there is no possible way to make it a true bridge mode? If not the only way I can maybe get around this is by putting my xr500 in the xb6 DMZ. I would rather do a true bridge mode but if I can’t then DMZ would be the only possible option if I’m correct.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@catalano11 wrote:
Also now thinking! You said the xb6 is not a true bridge mode? That mean my high ping is probably coming from a double Nat issue now. So there is no possible way to make it a true bridge mode? If not the only way I can maybe get around this is by putting my xr500 in the xb6 DMZ. I would rather do a true bridge mode but if I can’t then DMZ would be the only possible option if I’m correct.

No, with Bridge Mode enabled, you are not doing a double-NAT, so it is functionally "bridge mode" in that respect.  I'm just saying that with Bridge Mode enabled, the XB6 still has a lot of stuff running on it that you cannot turn off; there's no way to reduce it down to being a simple dumb modem.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@catalano11 do not use the modem MAC for your router.  Already been there, done that, and ..... it doesn't work.  You'll should end up with no internet connection as the CMTS will see that there are two devices on the network with the same MAC address and reject the attempt to establish a path to the router.  

The MAC address in question should be the WAN MAC for the modem, but, as I indicated above, you should see that it doesn't work. 

The days of a simple modem, first in, first out are long gone, except for possibly a DSL modem?? Don't quote me on the DSL modem however.  DOCSIS modems do much more than just handle data packets, interacting with the CMTS for timeslot management and the performance requirements to do that at high speed and where applicable running proactive network maintenance applications to monitor the network and modems.  So, they do much more in the background than users might think.  

The bigger problem is most likely the secret squirrel project that Rogers appears to have on the go.  From comments posted by other users, it appears that at least some of the techs know what's going on but they appear to be sworn to secrecy, so no one outside of Rogers has been given any reasonable explanation of what Rogers is up to. 

catalano11
I plan to stick around

@-G- @Datalink yeah i have been noticing some issues with the service lately and its been going on for far too long with never an explanation. so many spikes and high buffer bloats. its 2020 by now you think these issues would be fixed. i guess the only fix will be when they / if they bring fiber to my house. the only services i have is rogers cable 1000 down / 30 up best and  best for Bell is  DSL 5 down and 680 kbps up. Not sure how the DSL will work but its only 5Mbps im not even sure if that is good for any home now a days? would take a long time to download something. 

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation