HELP: Wireless internet problems

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

HELP: Wireless internet problems

Hi, I have a modem that has 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz of conectivity. My problem is that every few hours the 2.4 Ghz goes away and only the 5 Ghz stays on,and to fix this problem I have to restard the modem. I thought it was a modem issue, so went to get a new one and the problem still there.

Pliz I need help, everytime that call rogers technical support, all they do is a factory reset which does NOT heklp at all!!!!!!

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: HELP: Wireless internet problems

Ok, from your comments you probably have a CGN3 which runs either 2.4 or 5 Ghz networks.  An interesting fact that I came across in the Wifi Alliance certificate for the CGN3 is that the CGN3 is rated as a switchable 2.4 or 5 Ghz device, not concurrant operation of both networks.  I run the 5 Ghz network only and my CGN3 runs without any issue.  Give that some consideration in terms of running a test period where you would run either network but not both, just to see if you can duplicate the issue that you are currently seeing. 

As far as looking at your wifi environment, you can download inSSIDer and install it on a laptop.  This will allow you to look at both 2.4 and 5 Ghz environments if its loaded on a dual band laptop, and determine how your networks stack up against neighbouring routers in terms of received power.  When you have a failure of the 2.4 Ghz network, use that program to look at the networks that are running and see if there is a power drop in your network that might explain what you are experiencing.  Note that the received power is always shown in negative numbers and listed that way on the network display.  The larger the negative number, the less power is received from the router that is transmitting that network. Your network should be in the -30 to -40 dbm range with at least 15 to 20 db difference between your network and the next network down.  All of the columns are sortable up and down by selecting the column title, so that gives the user some flexibility in how the data is displayed.  Here's the link:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

If you have any trouble interpreting the results post a screenshot and a link to it so that people here can have a look at it.

I'm a Regular

try the following on the 2.4Ghz band in the router pages:

mode = wireless N only
channel = 1 (not Auto)
WPS = off
Save

then have a look at Wireless Clients under Status > Wireless

RSSI should be 70 or less

40Mhz or 20Mhz?

rate?

I've Been Here Awhile

when i click on the wireless clients, it pops up a small window with a loading icon. And it stays there keep loading......

After changed the settings, now I can not acces to thewireless page (http://192.168.0.1/login.html), it shows a blank page and keep loading..............it seems that the internet doesnt work only for that page.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Fwiw, I've never seen the client list show for the 5 GHz network.  Same thing, shows that its loading but never gets there.  Not a big deal as the connection rates from the CGN3 to the device, as shown at the device end can tell you how many antenna, and therefore number of data streams are being used and what the maximum data rate can be if a 40 MHz wide channel is used.  If the web interface hangs, unplug the modem and plug it back in to force a restart.  After that it will be fine.

I'm a Regular

an out of the box test may help... attached are two of my wireless clients after a factory reset... notice the network id is the default id... yours will printed on the back of the router along with passwords

http://imageflow.webs.com/WirelessClientList1.JPG

to do a factory reset, depress the embedded button on the back of the router for more than 10 seconds while its plugged in... once the lights flash on the front of the router you can let go

after about five minutes, connect a laptop or PC using the default network id for 2.4G and see what show up in the Wireless Clients List... it should not hang... a screenshot at this point would be good for future reference.

next:

turn WPS off  for both 2.4G and 5G and Save

change encryption to AES for both 2.4G and 5G and Save

take another screenshot of the Wireless Clients List... it should be similar to the out of the box screenshot... 40Mhz bandwidth should be showing with good RSSI's around 60 or less if you're within 20 feet of the router and you have 0 or higher for signal strength in the DOCSIS WAN tab

try a speed test... then move around your residence, check the Wireless Clients list to see the effect and do some more speed tests... i would take some more screenshots for anything out of the ordinary

next:

change the mode to wireless N only in the router and set the channel to 1 (don't use Auto)

Save

try some more speed tests

hopefully this will help to get to the bottom of it

final step (not before doing the tests):

change your network ids and passords on 2.4G and 5G to your desired settings and Save

change your cusadmin password and Save

IMPORTANT: you should have firmware version 4.2.4.3 or 4.2.4.5 before doing this test

its hard to say what is causing your issues... hanging router pages are generally a result of a the router waiting for some info from a client or waiting for a client to connect... going forward, turning off all devices and powering off the router and back on generally clears the hanging issue

the disappearing act is a mystery... i have crashed the 2.4G network before at a distance from the router with a speed test crawling to its knees... all connected devices were kicked off and could not connect until i powered off the router and powered it back on

hope all this helps

I Plan to Stick Around

When you lose the connection use the command prompt to do an ipconfig - if you see the default gateway blank and the ip address starting in 69 then it is a problem that can be fixed through Windows.

There are several causes here, a location where the IT guys have blocked extrenal connections, badly written web pages with media (Youtube prolems) where they are geolocating, a VPN or proxy use and a simple signal lose because of thick walls.

Windows is trying to compensate for the signal lose by communicating with the router, which needs to be set to broadcast - but the junk Rogers aren't. (I don't use them so I don't even know if they have a setting for it)

If the wireless router will let you do a mac address to an IP this will often fix the problem (you can also set the computer to the same specific IP)

Or you can tweak the Windows registery to turn off the Windows feature

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-networking/invalid-ip-address-169254x...

I'm a Regular

Wireless Client List from my CGN3 with 2.4G and 5G showing...

http://imageflow.webs.com/WirelessClientList2.JPG

both 2.4 and 5G must be on... in addition, everything is factory default settings except for my 2.4 and 5G settings... WPS is off and encryption is set to AES and the channel is fixed for both 2.4 and 5G... don't use Auto for the channel... best channel for 2.4 is 1 unless you have serious interference from neighbours

I've Been Here Awhile

this is my setings are :

RSSI0  RSSI1  RSSI2  Phy Mode  Bandwidth  Rate(Mbps)  Wireless Band
-75  -55  -46  802.11g/n mixed 20M   65   2.4G
-73  -60  -61  802.11g/n mixed 20M   65   2.4G
-79  -68  -58  802.11g/n mixed 20M  65   2.4G
-65  -69  -65  802.11a/n mixed 40M   135   5G
-66  -67  -71  802.11a/n mixed 40M   270   5G
-71  -73  -69  802.11a/n mixed 40M   135   5G

is it alright ? all my connection are really slow on wifi, ethernet is fine..

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you post a list of devices that you are running on the 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks.  If you can, drill down to the device manager and copy the model data for the wifi mini-cards and post that info as it will be much easier to look up the specs for the equipment.  The 5 Ghz network I would expect to run without any issue.  The 2.4 would lock down to a 20 MHz wide channel, and a lower data rate if any of your devices will only run 20 Mhz wide data channels.  I suspect that is where you see the slow data problem.  If you can, load inSSIDer on a dual band laptop, do a screen capture of the network display and post it somewhere so that I can have a look at it.  Here's a link to the last freebie version of inSSIDer, which will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html