“HELP! Laptop Wifi Incompatibility with Gateway After Win 10 Upgrade?”

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

“HELP! Laptop Wifi Incompatibility with Gateway After Win 10 Upgrade?”

I'm at my wit's end with this problem, and I need help. The wifi on my laptop dropped from about 20-30 mbs pre-Windows 10 upgrade to about 0.5 - 1.3 mbs at best. I didn't notice it at first, but then read reviews online that this upgrade had caused some wifi connection troubles. 

Specs:

- Cisco DPC3825 Gateway with wireless connection to laptop and two smart phones

- Normally get about 30 mbs on wireless / 40 mbs w/ cable

- Both smartphones still have 20-30 mbs connectivity, and laptop gets 35 - 40 mbs when connected with cable

- Laptop also has perfect wifi when using Starbucks or other wifi networks - it's only getting slow connection speeds when I use the gateway at home

- Moved laptop beside gateway, moved gateway to different positions, rebooted and dis/reconnected all cables 

- Uninstalled and reainstalled all wifi drivers - upgraded outdated wifi drivers from Realtek website

- Reset gateway to factory settings

- Unistalled Windows 10 and wiped laptop, reverting to factory settings (Windows 😎

- Reconfirmed that all drivers are updated - uninstalled and reinstalled updated drivers

After everything I'm still experiencing dismal wireless speeds. I've had to go to Starbucks to get anything close to normal, or plug in the laptop to the cable. Just can't figure it out. There seems to be only one explanation, and that's an incompatibility betweeen the laptop and my gateway. I've not changed any gateway settings (and also reset to factory just to be safe), and I've not changed any settings on the laptop other than the Windows 10 "upgrade."

Please help!

Thanks--Rob 

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: “HELP! Laptop Wifi Incompatibility with Gateway After Win 10 Upgrade?”

When you reverted back to Windows 8, were you back up to the normal 20 to 30 Mb/s for wifi?  And, returning back to Windows 10, it dropped again?

I'm Here A Lot

No, I'm back to Windows 8 now (or perhaps 8.1, since I recall seeing another update recently), and I'm still experiencing slow--perhaps even slower!--connection speeds. I reset the laptop to its factory settings (Win 8), with no luck. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When you say reset, does that imply reset thru the troubleshooting within the operating system, or did you wipe all sectors of the drive manually prior to any reloads, so that the disk was in fact absolutely clean?

Is this an HP laptop with a Realtek wifi card?

I'm Here A Lot

Yes, I just did it through PC settings --> Resiet and resinstall factory settings. I didn't want to get into wiping anything yet. And you're correct - HP Paviliion with Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, did you go back to the HP site and grab all of the drivers and reinstall them, or just rely on the reinstall to install the necessary drivers.  Personal opinion, I never trust Windows to install the drivers.  I always go back to the manufacturers site, grab the latest drivers, starting with the system driver and follow that with the remaining drivers.

I'm Here A Lot

Okay, that was a great suggestion. I went to HP and grab all the drivers that were out of date for my Pavilion, including the wireless driver, LAN driver, and BIOS. Sadly, that didn't fix the problem. It did seem to make my ethernet connection faster, though! But the wireless is still stuck at about 1.5 mbs. When I run the speed test it peaks at about 6 mbs for the first couple of secs, then quickly dips back down to 1.4 - 1.5. Any other thoughts? What am I missing, do you think? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have a look at the following web page, specifically disabling the power management which is the second item:

http://www.rushinformation.com/hp-envy-ralink-rt3290-wifi-problems-fix/

Also have a look at the bluetooth status, and, if you don't need it, turn it off or disable it. 

Have a look at the Ralink adapter properties and turn off any power saving that is indicated.  Look at the advanced settings and disable anything that indicates PSP (Power Save Polling).  Have a look at the following page regarding PSP.

http://www3.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005645.html

Also have a look for anything indicating use of 802.11w, which is an encryption of part of the management packets to prevent hackers from deauthenticating your laptop or pc from the network.  This was introduced in Windows 8 or 8.1, and is all likelihood would not be supported by your current modem. 

Reboot the laptop after any of those are done.

Here is additional food for thought.  Load inSSIDer on your laptop, which is a wifi monitoring application. When loaded on a dual band laptop, inSSIDer will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks that can be detected by your laptop. Have a look to see what you're competing with.  In a suburban area, the 2.4 Ghz band is usually pretty crowded and tough to work in, so, I'm not surprised that you're having problems.  Usually the 5 Ghz band is less crowded and easier to find a clear channel.  After you have a look at the display, you might be able to determine if there is any 2.4 Ghz channel that is clear enough that it might work with the present modem.  Never know unless you have a look, using something such as inSSIDer.  The program link below is for the last freebie version.  A new version is out now that will handle 802.11ac networks in the 5 Ghz band, and which will work on a 802.11n laptop.  The new version will read the broadcast management frames and display the 802.11ac networks that are running in the 5 Ghz band.  Its worth the $20 U.S. to buy, so that you can see all of the networks that are nearby.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

What you want to see on the graphical display is that your network is the highest network shown, which indicates that it has the highest received power of all the received networks.  Generally you want somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 to 45 dBmW separation between your network and any other network that is on the same or overlapping channel.  So, while your network should be the tallest on the display, everything else should be well below yours.  When that power level separation decreases, you end up with interference and possibly with problems maintaining a wifi network.  Your only option is to change to a channel with less overlap from the competition.  By looking at that display you might conclude that the 2.4 Ghz band is hopeless and that its time to move up to the 5 Ghz band, which would mean either changing the modem or buying a router that will give you 5 Ghz capability.  That won't help for this particular laptop as its only 802.11n capable and it has a 1x1 wifi card from what I can tell, meaning that it has a single antenna that if used for both transmit and receive.  That will limit the wifi data rate unfortunately.

Have a look at those items first to see if there is any improvement.  In terms of the laptop itself, in order to really reload the laptop from scratch, using a Windows 8 or 10 USB ISO, you would first have to wipe out the existing partitions by using GParted.  This can be downloaded and installed on a USB stick that you could boot from by setting the boot order in the BIOS to USB first.  After wiping the disk out, shut down and restart the laptop using the Windows 8 or 10 USB ISO.  You would have to download the ISO and prepare a USB stick with the ISO installed on it.  After restarting the laptop, the reinstall should be straightforward.  The installation will rebuild the partitions and install windows from scratch.  After that install is done, resinstall all of the drivers from the HP site, starting with the system driver first, Management Engine, SATA, video, LAN and audio. 

So, depending on how adventurous you feel, and how much work you want to to you would need:

1.  The original Windows licence key that currently exists on the laptop.

2.  A USB loaded with the GParted ISO

3.  A USB loaded with the Windows 8 or 10 ISO

4.  A USB loaded with all of the HP drivers.

With all of the drivers collected before hand, the reinstall will go fairly quickly.  The windows install will probably require more than one check for Windows updates.  I've found that one set of updates usually leads to another, and another, etc, etc, until it decides that its finally done.  thats usually the longest part of the whole process, installing the updates.

GParted can be obtained from here:  http://gparted.org/index.php

A complete reload from scratch would be a pain to say the least, but, if there isn't anything else loaded at this point in time it would be fairly straghtforward.  Hopefully you'll have some succcess before deciding to take the plunge.

Edit:  Here's an interesting thread and post which mirrors your situation:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Windows-10-wifi-ridiculously-slo...

"Re: Windows 10 wifi ridiculously slow

I battled with this for days.  Wifi was a snails pace while being plugged in blazed.  After checking all settings and updating drivers, it ended up being as simple as going to notification center on lower right of desktop (or WINDOWS Key + A) and unchecking the location button.  I was shocked that enabling locations for the Cortana feature was the root of the issue.     "

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you! I'll try all of these and hope for the best. I'll post later 🙂

P.S. Turning off location didn't help, unfortunately.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi all, I bought a new computer, wireless keyboard and mouse. It came with Windows 10. Have been on the phone since

Saturday (about 7 hours so far in total) with Rogers, and HP. Hours of fixes etc but still no internet. My devices are working

from the WiFi but my computer says no network no internet access. Any ideas? Do I need a wireless router?

Thanks

Mike