HELP - Extremely poor speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: HELP - Extremely poor speeds

@Datalink I was in Bell fibe 50, nothing close to 500 or gigabit... I had all 3 bell services, and now I have all 3 rogers services. Bell fibe used to not be capped at 10mbps upload.

I called in just now (again), and the guy did notice the package was dropped to 100down an hour ago, but couldnt tell why or by whom. So he pushed the reconfig file to me again as "the network guys looking at your case shouldnt have changed it like this..." and we reset the modem, AGAIN... and still stuck on 100, and he has no clue why... despite his "reconfig file successfully going through"

I reran the speed test after his config... and now im getting ~100mbps down, and .... 0.7 up. That's right, now 7mbps, 0.7, on the Telus and similiar Beanfield server.... and on rogers own I get ~2mbit up....

I am annoyed that @RogersPrasana hasn't chimed in since her initial "welcome"...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

hmm, ok then, personally my next step would be to swap the modem at the nearest Rogers store.  There is always the chance of getting a bum modem, but, if so, I think this would be the first case on the forum of a bad CGNM-3552.  One bad modem is possible, two, I wouldn't believe, three, you should be buying lottery tickets.....

Just to check, you are running the modem in Bridge mode when you have the R7000 up and running behind the modem?  If the modem is in Gateway mode with a router behind it, you have a double NAT situation going which isn't good.  To switch the modem from Gateway (router) mode to Bridge (modem only) mode, log into the modem, navigate to BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION and disable the Residential Gateway Function.  Apply or save the setting and the modem will reboot into Bridge mode.  

With the modem in Bridge mode, to access the modem thru the router, use 192.168.100.1.  That usually works without any problem.  Some people have had to add a routing rule in order to use that address thru their particular router.  With the R7000 I don't believe that is the case.  

To switch the modem back into Gateway mode, you can run a factory reset, either thru the recessed reset button at the back of the modem.... hold for thirty seconds and release, or, run the factory reset thru the user interface.  That is located in the ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET page.   Or, you can log back into the modem using the 192.168.100.1 address, navigate back to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION page which is still accessible in Bridge mode and enable the Residential Gateway Function.  The modem will reboot back into Gateway mode.  Doing the switch thru the user interface should preserve all of the settings, whereas the factory reset will set all of the settings back to their default values.  When the modem is in Gateway mode, and with a direct connection to the modem, you can use 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1.  The latter address is required for use when you are running the modem in Bridge mode. 

When the modem is in Bridge mode, it will support two IPV4 devices, each with their own IPV4 address.  Now, since Rogers has enabled IPV6 that becomes problematic as the server will only support one main IPV6 address to the modem.  So, if you are doing any testing with the modem in Bridge mode, keep only one device connected, and of couse keep in mind that the modem isn't protecting the device when the modem is in Bridge mode.  The test device will have to rely on its own firewall to protect itself.  

One more consideration about the R7000.  That router, like my Asus RT-AC68U uses a Broadcom chipset.  That chipset employs Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding, which routes data thru the router without involving the CPU.  Essentially its a fast path thru the router.  If you use QOS, traffic monitoring or any other function that requires the CPU to do something with or to the data, that will kick off the CTF function.  On an Asus Router that CTF is called NAT Acceleration.  There is a separate check box to enable / disable the function and you can see if its been disabled by anything.  On the Netgear routers, specifically the R7000, there is no enable / disable function unless that has been added very very recently.  So, if the function is kicked off by some other function on the Netgear router, your only warning would be a drop in data rates when you run anything over 100 Mb/s.  At something like 1 Gb/s, the effect would be very noticeable.  So, that is something to keep in mind if you weren't already aware of it.  

Here is a link to a CGN3 user manual which is still fairly close to the other CGN3XXX modems and CGNM-3552 in terms of the user settings.  It would be really useful one of these days if Hitron would produce an up to date manual for the CGNM-3552.

https://www.midco.com/contentassets/87322b7ed6b04cabb102fe22607bc4d1/hitron-modem-user-guide-cgn3-re...

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Datalink wrote:

hmm, ok then, personally my next step would be to swap the modem at the nearest Rogers store.  

I see a common theme here. Hardware from rogers does not work properly so you swap it out. Same as with NB3; does not work, swap it out. Why can rogers just not supply us with decent hardware? How much time are customers supposed to waste trying to solve issues that are just not solvable with the poor quality hardware provided by this company? 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In this particular case it appears that the modem is not responding to the uploaded configuration.  From anything else that I've seen on the internet forum, that's very unusual.  I don't recommend swapping modems very often but this is one of those cases.  The CGN3, CGN3ACSMR, and CGNM-3552 that I've had have all been rock solid, except for the CGN3 that was bricked by using the USB setup stick.  Admittedly there have been and are firmware design issues, not problems with the upload and installation of the firmware, but problems made in the design and implementation of some of the features that these modems can support.   Where this becomes an issue is when someone is advised to swap equipment, internet modem, cable tv modem or other, again and again,  in the hopes of solving a firmware design issue.  That leads to a lot of frustration on the part of the end user.  That is why I don't recommend swapping modems very often.  If there is a design issue, I would usually say to run the modem in Bridge mode and use your own router. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Since upgrading to Gigabit, I haven't been able to get speeds faster than 340 - 380 down and 30 up. I've tried at all hours, even 3 am, my equipment is all running wireless ac, the laptop has a Gigabit card when wired too, still no more than 380 hard wired. ( Laptop shows 1gbps connection speed) laptop even has a SSD, I know it can handle Gigabit, all wireless devices are showing 866 mbps speed) tech was here and replaced a few f connectors, the signal level is near perfect hovering around 0 to - 1 accross the board. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@LUC82, are you making any headway with the data rates issues?  Just to note, and not casting any aspersions on anyone's equipment, running gigabit rates on a desktop or laptop is going to be a challenge.  The presence of a gigabit port on a desktop or laptop in no way guarantees that the device in question will support higher data rates.  What is equally important is what's behind the port, as in the processor, memory amount and speed, and in some cases the hard drive data rates where the main memory amount isn't very large.  In order to be sure that a desktop or laptop is able to handle the higher rates, you would have to be able to test out the data rate of the CGNM-3552 first with a device that has proven itself to run at higher data rates.  Once that is done, then its possible to use the CGNM-3552 to prove out the capability of the pc or laptop in question.  As an example, I have a couple of desktops, one newer that peaks out a 940 Mb/s, and one with an older motherboard that peaks out around 500 Mb/s.  Laptops are a similar situation, we have one that won't go any faster than 200 Mb/s, wired or wifi, and a gaming laptop that will run 840 Mb/s wired thru the network and 440 Mb/s with wifi.  The gaming laptop will probably run faster, but I haven't spent the time to really test it out.  So, the end device will make a huge difference on its own. 

If you're still having problems with this please let us know.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty @Datalink - So the Rogers tech came over Monday, spent 3 hours at my place, swapped out modem. Ran speedtests directly on modem (router out of equation), on both modem... basically couldnt figure anything out.

Said just like the first rep "its in spec" even though his own speedtests on speedtest, rogers, and some 3rd site all showed downloads of ~340 and uploads of ~6-7.

Said he will escalate ticket to "FSC" who will resolve it in 24-48 hours... or at the least call me in 48.

Here I am ... on Thursday, no resolution, no call back.

So *I* had to take the initiative and called them back, they are now saying "there seems to be a noise issue that wasn't there before" and are sending yet another useless tech out to waste my time tomorrow... while they look into the server side issue (that the tech said they;d look at within 24-48 hours).

Sheer incompetence...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@negativefusion, here's one idea, and that is to run pingplotter to monitor the modem to CMTS path, looking for packet loss that might be due to noise and high ping times that are due to the modem itself.  Once you have a look at the pingplotter output, it might all become clear as to why there is such a problem with the data rates.  Have a look at the following post for instructions on how to set that up:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/355...

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Just received Rogers gigabit and only getting speed of 10 mbps (1.2 MB/s) for download.

Upload speed seems to be better.. at around 32 mbps.

My Setup. Modem is in Gateway mode and my ASUS AC-68U is connected to in AP mode. Modem is giving out all IP addresses etc. WiFi is disabled on the CGNM-3552-ROG router.

I have tried removing the router and connecting the PC directly to the modem. Still speed is only 10 mbps. Cable is fine because i get gigabit speed for local LAN traffic.