Guest account & WPS - CGN3ACSMR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Guest account & WPS - CGN3ACSMR

So I swapped my modem for a new one yesterday and set it up manually (did not use the red stick).

Going through it I notice that there is a Guest Account but there is no way to turn it ON.

Also noticed that there is WPS but there is no way to turn it OFF.

Am I missing something?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Guest account & WPS - CGN3ACSMR

For the guest accounts you have to either use the USB set up key, or, call tech support to set the account up and enable it.  Personal opinion, if you need guest accounts, buy a good router so that you can control that yourself.  You will end up with better wifi performance and access to all of the settings instead of having access to a limited set with Tech Support having access to the remainder.  

For the WPS, that is located in WIRELESS..... BASIC SETTINGS.  There are two tabs there, one for the 2.4 Ghz network and one for the 5 Ghz network.  On each tab there is a WPS Enabled function, which should be disabled.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For the guest accounts you have to either use the USB set up key, or, call tech support to set the account up and enable it.  Personal opinion, if you need guest accounts, buy a good router so that you can control that yourself.  You will end up with better wifi performance and access to all of the settings instead of having access to a limited set with Tech Support having access to the remainder.  

For the WPS, that is located in WIRELESS..... BASIC SETTINGS.  There are two tabs there, one for the 2.4 Ghz network and one for the 5 Ghz network.  On each tab there is a WPS Enabled function, which should be disabled.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks. I've now turned the WPS off.

As far as the Guest Account goes might leave that one alone for now.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the information. I just tried to ask Rogers Technical support about setting up the Guest Account and was told that NOBODY at Rogers could help me as they were updating their support tools.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@mrbrimi wrote:

Thanks for the information. I just tried to ask Rogers Technical support about setting up the Guest Account and was told that NOBODY at Rogers could help me as they were updating their support tools.

@we are ready to help you now, please call back @ 1-855-381-7839

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Okay so I called back to the number above.

On the first attempt they were not able to set up the guest account properly. By the time the call was finished I had lost my ethernet, my 2.4, my 5.0 connections were all lost.

Along the way they screwed up my 5.0 password.

I asked to be transferred to customer retention...the call was dropped.

Went called back to Technical Support. They finally got me connected on my ethernet, 2.4 & 5.0 BUT the guest account still doesn't work. 

So the bottom line, 2 Live Chat, 3 Technical Support calls BUT still NO guest account.

So tomorrow I'll try Customer Retention - after 15 years with Rogers I should have known that Customer Support doesn't exist. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just to follow up:

Before allowing Rogers to access my modem I was assured that all passwords would remain in place and the modem settings restored the way I had them. The only thing being changed was that the Guest Account would be enabled.

The reason I couldn't get ethernet was after Technical Support "fixed" my connection they left the easy connect software in place.

They also left the name of guest account as easy connect instead of the name I requested.  It has now been changed but my Android device will not connect as it is an insecure network.

The reason they lost my 5.0 password was because it contained illegal characters. They were legal when I set them up a year ago and worked fine up until this afternoon but now are illegal.

In the process they also reverted the modem password to the very secure "password" instead of the one that I had been using.

Very sloppy work to say the least though they did offer to send a rep to change my modem but not today or suggested I return it to the store that was closed at the time of conversation.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Guest account on Hitron CGN3ACSMR

Hello. The wireless guest account (Rogers-guest) on my Hitron CGN3ACSMR shows up on my ipad, but will not connect or show connected on the ipad. In the information part of the ipad networking, the IP shows up as 192.168.103.11. My DHCP ip range is set to 192.168.1.100-200! A search of the manual that I have does not even mention the guest account.

Highlighted

Hello @Footman!

Welcome to our Community! I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble setting up the Guest network. Has anyone in the Community had any success in setting it up?

If so, please offer your advice here! 

Thanks!

RogersCorey

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

How do I turn on WPS on 5G?

The modem I have is a Hitron CGN3. In the Wireless menu I can turn the 2.4G "WPS enabled" function ON or OFF. However the 5G WPS is set to OFF and can't be turned back to ON. In both instances the 3 Multiple SSID Settings are ON.

I shall be grateful for any help. Thank you.

Mard Osk