Gigabit Speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Gigabit Speeds

Just to note, 802.11g max data rate theoretically is 54 Mb/s, so, if you're seeing anything above that, consider that you're doing well.  That brings up a couple of questions, why are you using 802.11g, and, are you using devices that only use TKIP to go along with that?  WEP and WPA-TKIP are not compatible with 802.11n and as a result, the data rate will not exceed 54 Mbps when you use WEP or TKIP encryption.

The security mode for wifi should be set to WPA-2 and the encryption mode should be set for AES only.  TKIP or the TKIP/AES combo should not be used as TKIP is no longer secure.  

The WPS function should also be disabled. 

These apply to both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks.  TKIP, WEP and WPS are not secure and should not be used any more. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I am using my 2011 MacBook Pro and my Samsung S7. Which should be able to handle most of the new network interface (except the N on my Mac).

I always use the 5Ghz network as my wireless login as oppose to the 2.4 Ghz.

Contacted Rogers Tech and was told it takes anywhere and upto 12 hours for the router to reach the speed after an install.

Thanks 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tester2013 wrote:

Finally got my Gigabit Interent installed..wired is around 500mbps or over, upload is consistent about 47 mbps...but on wireless (G) network I can not get more than 87 mbps and upload is around 20 mbps..tested on Speedtest.net

I had Bell Fibe 50/10 and still have it now (should be cancelled tonight)..wireless I hit 60 mbps and upload 10 mbps...

What do you suggest for this?

For 2.4Ghz set it to "N Only", 20mhz channel width, and wireless channel on auto select.  

For 5Ghz set it to channel width 80mhz, wireless channel there should be 3 options: auto, low channels, and high channels (149-153, etc.) Select High Channels (more power, better range/performance)

Next for both disable WPS, and for security use WPA2-AES on both. This should improve your wireless performance.

For me using these settings my wireless N devices connect at 300mb/s (max supported by N) and my AC devices connect at 1300mhz (max supported for AC).

I Plan to Stick Around

I did alll of the above but it made it worse. My TX rate is around 200 mbps on the 5G network.

I Plan to Stick Around

Just spoke with Rogers tech and he suspects the modem is bad. I will be going tomorrow to get it exchanged!

I Plan to Stick Around

I was just about to head to the Rogers store to exchange my modem when the Rogers tech guy called my house to see what was going on as they screwed up my installation date for tv and internet last week. I told him everything was installed but explained to him my situation with the internet. He said that he will be here in 20 minutes (I did not have any appointments whatsoever). He arrived and did a test on my cable. He noticed I was getting fluctuating speeds from 10mbps to 100...he went to the basement and did the test and it was well over 800 mbps. I had some issue with my cables and he ran new lines which resolved the issue.

Hardwired I am getting 800mbps and wireless is about 200 mbps. He said that its hard to get around 800 mbps on wireless. I did not have to change my modem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

good to hear it's all fixed, on wireless you can't get more than 600mbps, and thats using 5Ghz wireless AC connected at 1300mbps. Remember wireless rates are theoretical under ideal conditions.

I Plan to Stick Around

My MacBook Pro's NIC caps out at 450..its the non AC version..

I've Been Here Awhile

I Am Done With Rogers - $169.50/mth For 33 kb/s Dialup Internet on Rogers Gigabit.  Absolutely Pathetic.  

rogers dialup.jpg

I've Been Here Awhile

Xbox one download speed issues

I'm having bad issues with my Xbox download speed. I'm on a gig plan and only end up receiving around 60mbps. My upload is good. I've contacted both Xbox and Rogers but both have no resolution to the issue. I'm reaching out here hoping someone has experience this isssue or may know how to fix it.

Thanks