Gigabit Speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Gigabit Speeds

The Hitron firmware also effects ethernet performance aswell. I recommend asking Dave for the 2.0.10.19 firmware to be pushed as it should improve your wired speeds.

If you haven't done so I would recommend rebooting the modem if you are still experiencing those speeds.
I Plan to Stick Around

I upgraded a few days ago, out of the box it had speeds close to 2 Mbps (DSL faster).

I called in and the tech guy fixed it within 4 mins on his end.

When I did the speed test I got 750 Mbps and the tech guy was like, wow that fast for 1 Gbps. If he could of seen my face, he would of saw the confused look of what ??? because 750 Mbps is not gigabit speeds.

He told me a lot of people switching to the new gigabit plans are not getting speeds that high. My next test was over 860 Mbps which is more around what I am expecting. My network can handle a 1GB no problem.

But doing a speed test right now, I am only getting about 660 Mbps to NB Rogers network

720 Mbps QC Rogers network

and about 695 Mbps to BC on Rogers Network

It funny NB is closest to me as I am in NL but it has the worst speeds out of the 3 and they are all hosted by Rogers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Would you happen to know exactly what the tech CSR did to get your data rates up from 2 Mb/s?

I Plan to Stick Around

He said he did a factory reset on the modem from his end.

Rogers Employee borford
Rogers Employee

There is certainly a lot of confusion over the gigabyte package/modem and the speeds you should be getting. If there are no outanding issues, a wired direct computer with minimum required specs should reach between 600 mbps and 900 mbps. You take that speed and add it to the speed of a wireless computer, connected to the 5G network in direct line of site of the modem. The 2 speeds together should reach or exceed 1gbps. That is again if there are no current issues. Minimum wired specs include but are not limited to a gigabyte ethernet adapter and a cat5e or cat6 cable. The whole point of a higher speed package is that you can use more devices at a time without compromising the quality of your internet experience. Expecting 1 device to consistantly reach very high speeds is unrealistic.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@borford wrote:

The whole point of a higher speed package is that you can use more devices at a time without compromising the quality of your internet experience. Expecting 1 device to consistantly reach very high speeds is unrealistic.

With respect, if Rogers marketing believes that, they are totally misunderstanding the psychology of most of their customers. 

When you reach the 250/gigabit tier, people buy the higher speed packages for either i) the upload speed, ii) needs for fast downloads from fast sources (less likely), iii) because retention gave them a good deal, or iv) ego/bragging rights. I think very few people are thinking "hey, I have a family of four with X devices, if I get the gigabit package, they can each download 250 megabit/sec at the same time" 

The idea that 'higher speed packages are for more people/devices' is just marketing speak because they want less tech-savvy people to buy the higher-speed packages when... ultimately, 50-100 megabits is more than enough for anybody who doesn't know why they need more. 

I don't need to be convinced of how difficult getting an actual gigabit speedtest result to a single device is, but... ultimately, if you're offering gigabit service, that's how people are going to measure and if they get substantially less than gigabit speeds, they are going to feel cheated. Even people who signed up for gigabit 'accidentally', e.g. a friend of mine who got the gigabit + TV + PVR bundle for like $10 more than what he was paying for his old Internet plan alone, desperately want to see that 950+ number. He was absolutely heart broken when his desktop was only seeing in the 300s... and his wife's Mac laptop was getting north of 600. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I feel a lot of people's intelligence is being insulted with the latest posts. The issue has been and remains that most people on the gigabit plan are not achieving anywhere near gigabit speeds or 50 Mbs upload speeds when they have one wired connection and wireless turned off. Although the decrease in speed may be reasonable when multiple wireless computers are added to the network, it is not reasonable to get 600dl and 30ul speeds when you have a singular computer wired directly into the modem with wireless turned off
I Plan to Stick Around

Any news on DOCSIS 3.1 deployment in Toronto?

I Plan to Stick Around

paying for gigabit speeds not even getting a 100.. http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5932153076

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bhaskarp which modem do you currently have, the new CODA-4582 (big white modem), or, a CGN3ACSMR or CGNM-3552 as seen by the product sticker at the back of the modem?  

In any of those cases, I would start by doing a modem restart.  Pull the power plug, wait for 30 seconds and plug it back in to force a restart.  If that doesn't resolve the issue, run a factory reset, either from the user interface, ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Factory Reset, or, depress the recessed reset button for 30 seconds and release it.  That is located just above the ethernet ports at the back of the modem.