cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gigabit Passive Optical Network (GPON) and FTTH in NB

rwisenor
I've been here awhile

Moncton, NB has been getting some serious updates to their infrastructure lately with FTTH via GPON being available at more and more locations. A friend of mine who lives within a single digit postal code difference of me has it and is so happy being able to get 1Gbps Down AND Up through Rogers.

FTTH doesn't look to be available at my house, despite being mere streets apart and yet my friend and I have the same boxes (both home and street) and what appears to be the same feeds. Is it possible that FTTH is already on my street and ready for my home, but that the previous owner declined to be connected?

*** Edited Labels ***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Gigabit Passive Optical Network (GPON) and FTTH in NB

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rwisenor wrote:

FTTH doesn't look to be available at my house, despite being mere streets apart and yet my friend and I have the same boxes (both home and street) and what appears to be the same feeds. Is it possible that FTTH is already on my street and ready for my home, but that the previous owner declined to be connected?

If both your immediate neighbours have next-gen FTTH (not RFoG) then yes, it's likely that the previous owner did not consent to allowing the crews to dig on the property.  However, it's more likely that fibre crews simply have not gotten to your area yet.  (They have to stop their rollout somewhere, and it could have been at your immediate neighbour's home.)  Either way, you should contact Rogers to confirm availability.

rwisenor
I've been here awhile

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my message. I called the Atlantic FTTH team at 1-833-32-FIBRE who were able to confirm my neighbors access but not for my street. They did forward me to major accounts who will being giving me a call in the next 24hrs to discuss the schedule with me apparently? 

This is good news to be sure but where it is November, it is likely that digging is done for till the spring. Either way, it is great to see the Moncton area be upgraded so quickly lately. Thanks again.

rwisenor
I've been here awhile
As an update to this topic, I had a Rogers technician (actual Rogers) out to my home just a week ago and they confirmed the FTTH terminal is at the pole outside my house but that it hasn’t been turned on as of yet. Once it is, he confirmed that symmetrical speeds FTTH through the Nokia Optical Terminal will be available. No digging needed, just a cable to the box on the side of my house from the pole —which sits on my front yard.

Yay!
Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 2 in conversation