Gigabit Internet Speeds?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Gigabit Internet Speeds?

So I've heard some exiting news that on thursday Bell announced that they are bringing Gigabit Internet speeds to Toronto. I'm curious about when will Rogers be announcing Gigabit Internet speeds to compete with Bell. Would it be anytime
soon?

In addition, as for price for gigabit speeds I hope it will be somewhat the prices that Rogers is offering now so Rogers can compete with Bell and Google Fiber in the long run..

***Edited Labels.***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Gigabit Internet Speeds?

@eddiethefunnyon wrote:
So I've heard some exiting news that on thursday Bell announced that they are bringing Gigabit Internet speeds to Toronto. I'm curious about when will Rogers be announcing Gigabit Internet speeds to compete with Bell. Would it be anytime
soon?

In addition, as for price for gigabit speeds I hope it will be somewhat the prices that Rogers is offering now so Rogers can compete with Bell and Google Fiber in the long run..

Well, here's the thing - 960 megabits/sec is about 26 DOCSIS channels. The currently-deployed Rogers hardware, e.g. the CGN3, can bond 24 D3 channels, so about 900 megabits/sec. I believe Rogers typically has 21 channels deployed now; as the analog TV shutdown continues that should continue to go up. (The danger, of course, is that if you got a 900 megabit/sec plan and you max out the connection... whoops, there's no bandwidth left for anyone else on your node. This is one reason the fastest Rogers sells is 250 despite each node having about 800 megabits/sec of capacity).

Frankly, I think this is a marketing stunt from Bell trying to cover up the fact that in most urban areas, the most they currently offer with their FTTN DSL is about 50 megabits/sec when Rogers is selling 100/250 megabit plans. As many people here have discovered with the 250 megabit plan, there comes a point where more speed on your end is nearly useless...

That being said, more competition is always a good thing - Bell Aliant FTTH out east has led Rogers to offer extremely aggressively-priced 3-year bundles compared to what they offer in Ontario. In NB, from Rogers, you can get a basic TV package with a PVR, home phone with all the features and Canadian long distance, 70 megabit/sec unlimited (or is it 200GB?) Internet for $100/month for 3 years... largely because that matches the offering from Bell Aliant.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Due to hardware limitations.. with the current cable infrastructure.. rogers may strugle to compete the exact same (unless they start running their own fiber)

But thats one thing to look at...   it will be a FTTH (fiber to the home) setup.
The cost for them to get it to a household neibourhood, which is NOT wired for fiber already?  A LOT.. i mean, a whole subdivision could be $500,000+. Especailly if all cables are burried and not suspended.

I can see new builds being the first to get it.

Business areas.

Also $$ may come into play.. havent really seen what the COST will be either.  Yeah they may offer the service.. but could be insanely expensive.

Rogers will be already at a disadvantage because Bell has already rolled out FTTH in some areas, especially newer buildings and houses. Rogers would definitly need a bigger budget if they want to compete with Bell. In addition, Rogers' modems cannot handle over 1gigabit speeds. HOWEVER, having gigabit speeds now is not a priority (since most of us are using wifi) but it would definitely be great for the long run...

In terms of Google Fiber, is it possible for them to compete with Bell now that they have announced their new gigabit speed service?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@eddiethefunnyon wrote:

Rogers will be already at a disadvantage because Bell has already rolled out FTTH in some areas, especially newer buildings and houses. Rogers would definitly need a bigger budget if they want to compete with Bell. In addition, Rogers' modems cannot handle over 1gigabit speeds. HOWEVER, having gigabit speeds now is not a priority (since most of us are using wifi) but it would definitely be great for the long run...

In terms of Google Fiber, is it possible for them to compete with Bell now that they have announced their new gigabit speed service?

Who cares about Google Fiber? Unless I missed something, they have no intention of setting up shop in this country. Really, the purpose of Google Fiber was more to shame U.S. providers who, unlike Rogers, prefer offering slow (<10-15 megabit/sec) unlimited service at fairly low prices.

As for Rogers' current modems not handling 1 gigabit speeds, who cares? Coax, with current technology, has about 5 gigabits/sec of capacity, which has to be split between digital TV, analog TV, home phone (ridiculously tiny), and Internet, shared among all households on a node. If Rogers can free up another 20 channels for DOCSIS, then the only thing they're missing is a 48-channel DOCSIS 3 modem (I haven't googled, but I suspect those exist or soon will). Find one of those... and boom, you're in business - no need to start digging up the streets to string fiber. And Rogers' capital costs will be trivial compared to Bell's...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Oh, and one other thing - there is already Rogers FTTH out there. I don't think they're offering anything different from Rogers coax, but new neighbourhoods/condos/etc have been getting wired with FTTH...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont specifically see the plans for it anymore.. but it was the 250/250 FFTH.

It doesn't seem that hard for Rogers to introduce gigabit internet speeds, with that I hope it comes soon.. We already have the technology but like VivienM said if Rogers can free up 20 channels for DOCSIS and introduce at 48 channel DOCSIS 3 modem, Rogers is set to go. My neighbourhood is fairly new (2011) and I'm wondering if i already have FTTH...

As for now fiber should be mainly availiable to high density buildings (if more devices connected certainly, higher speeds are essential) and as it goes mainstream pricing will be lowered so low density housing can get the upgrade..

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@eddiethefunnyon wrote:

As for now fiber should be mainly availiable to high density buildings and as it goes mainstream pricing will be lowered so low density housing can get the upgrade..

But what's pricy with fiber is the LABOUR to install it. I don't see how that's going to change...