Getting access to drobo update site for Drobo nas device

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: Getting access to drobo update site for Drobo nas device

Hello @brice90,

I can't think of a reason why you would be denied access to an FTP server on your own LAN.  Are you running Windows? If so, is the Windows Firewall enabled?

If the Windows Firewall is enabled, could you disable it and see if this fixes the issue?

If you are able to access the Drobo FTP after disabling the Windows Firewall, you can create a rule allowing FTP traffic to/from your computer.

I'm an Advisor

Here is a YouTube video showing how to create a firewall rule in Windows 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AcqibSJ8ng

The instructions are very similar on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows Server.

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't think it is Windows because I had the other older router before and I was able to get through the update site.

By the way this is the message I receive on the drobo see attached info.

drobo error.PNG

I'm an Advisor

I see the image you posted now - the problem appears to be that your Drobo cannot connect to the Drobo update site to fetch an update.

Try what Datalink suggested:

> I would think that you would have to assign a static IP address in the modem for the NAS and then create a couple port forwarding rules for port 20 (FTP-Data) as well as port 21 (FTP-TCP/IP).  I would try setting this up with port triggering first and if that didn't work remove the triggering rules and set this up using port forwarding.  That leaves the port forwarding up all the time, so, I would run the check, run any updates and then remove the rules.  In each case, after setting up the static IP address and port triggering, or port forwarding and saving the changes, reboot the modem using the ADMIN .....  DEVICE RESET...Reboot function. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Tried to turn off windows firewall and go the same message from the drobo.

firewall disable.PNG

I'm an Advisor

Understood.  Try what Datalink suggested:

> I would think that you would have to assign a static IP address in the modem for the NAS and then create a couple port forwarding rules for port 20 (FTP-Data) as well as port 21 (FTP-TCP/IP).  I would try setting this up with port triggering first and if that didn't work remove the triggering rules and set this up using port forwarding.  That leaves the port forwarding up all the time, so, I would run the check, run any updates and then remove the rules.  In each case, after setting up the static IP address and port triggering, or port forwarding and saving the changes, reboot the modem using the ADMIN .....  DEVICE RESET...Reboot function. 

Does this help?

I Plan to Stick Around

Opened port 20 and 21 with port trigger and port forward port 20 and 21 see attached info, with no luck. I used my browser to access dell's ftp site with success.ftp 20.PNGftp 20.PNGport trig 20.PNGport trig 21.PNG

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

have a look at the following thread: 

http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=145167

from that thread: 

Looking at other Drobo logs and found that the gateway is pointing to the wrong IP. This is a very likely cause of the not downloading but i won't be able to confirm until later today.

Updated drobo network settings and installs succeded

http://dashboardhelp.drobo.com/guide/240/ko/5N_Checking_Network_Information_for_the_Drobo_5N.htm

Going from the old modem to the new modem, has the gateway address changed by any chance or are you using a manual IP address for the NAS?

Also have a look at this to see if any of it applies to your current situation:

http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=145777&pid=196965

I Plan to Stick Around

Okay here is a pic of my network settings on my drobo the gateway is correct and it is setup correctly. Would have to look at the log on the drobo somehow to see why it is doing.

drobo net.PNG

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you able to PING that drobo server IP address from your PC?

Just to see if its a routing/DNS issue say with rogers.. where they are not seeing/connecting to it ok?