cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiberop

Regg70
I've been here awhile

Hi. When I moved to my new place I searched for fibreop providers. As Bell doesn’t provide fibreop in my area,just regular high speed internet, I went with Rogers as they said they do have fibreop in my area. When they came and did the install,they used coaxial cable. I didn’t think fibreop can go through coaxial cable?! So,do I actually have fibreop or just regular high speed internet?
Thanks in advance for any replies

***EDITED LABELS***

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Fiberop

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is a big issue about all of the terminology used right now.
Bell Fibe is a big example.. seems like its FIBER direct.

Bell does, i think primarily just in parts of toronto and a few other cities. 
Rogers did had some direct fiber in a few locations, but they are not really doing it anymore with the cable upgrades they have been doing.

But generally, no.  for most of the rest of rogers (or even bell) customers, you are not getting DIRECT fiber.
What you are getting is FTTN.  Fiber to the Node.
Rogers you will get fiber to the closest node, then coax from there to the house.
Bell you will get fiber to the CO, then phone line (usually more than one pair) to the house. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A few comments.  Although Bell uses the Fibe name (which looks a lot like Fibre), it is often fibre to the node nearest the home. Some areas have FTTH (home) now, but you have to check with them.  If it's FTTN, then the "last mile" is twisted pair with Bell and that provides for a max of about 100 mbps (when the 4 cables are paired (pair bonding)) and usually about 25-50 mbps download depending on distance/application, etc.

With Rogers they have had Fibre to the node in many areas for a long time. RF-coax is far superior to twisted pair used by Bell, so they can offer Gigabit service using RF-coax in most areas. Where gigabit is not available, Rogers is putting in more nodes, often calling this fibre to the curb (FTTC), but the "last mile" (or few hundred metres) is still typically RF--coax and usually capable of gigabit speeds. Since RF-coax is capable of these gigabit speeds, Roger has not been using FTTN for most applications, outside of MDU (large apartment or similar) complexes.

Regg70
I've been here awhile
Thanks for the replies. I always thought fiberop went right to the house so nice to finally realize that is actually doesn’t. The reason why I asked the question is sometimes my internet is really slow and always heard that it should never be slow with fiberop. I done a test speed on my phone using the Rogers app and it was 34mbps download and 17mbps upload speed and thought it should be way faster with fiberop

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
As others have said, Fibreop is simply a Brand name from Bell Alient. They no longer use this name and they simply use Fibe now. This relates to Bell only not Rogers.

Rogers never used the Fiberop or Fibe names. The only remotely closest thing Rogers has done was used the Hybrid Coax-Fibre network in their advertising and marketing campaign for a short period of time in the past. Rogers brands their internet as Ignite, and it could be Fiber or Coax to your house or condo. but even if you have a rogers fiber in your condo, there is still a do hickey thing a ma bob to convert the fiber optic wire back into a coax wire to go into your rogers modem, so yeah you might only see the coax wire in your house or electrical closet even if you had a pure fiber run into your house and not know it.

I would not bother determining if you have fiber or not as the packages they offer are roughly the same regardless of the technology you have. if its really important to know, ask the tech when they come to install or repair something he usually is a lot more knowledgeable than the CSR

In NB, Fibe is all Fibre to the Home (FTTH).  That's fibre from the CO, to the node and also then to the home directly.  Twisted pair only inside the home.  Ignite in NB is Fibre from their CO to the Node (FTTN) and then Coax to the home.  Rogers had greatly increased their backbone and capacity w/the Ignite roll out and is now a real competitor to Bell Aliant where it had not been for quite some time.  Even the Bell CSRs still think their internet is one shared coax node on every street but that is no longer the case.

I recently switched and Ignite is excellent compared to the old Rogers.

Jawed
I plan to stick around

When will Rogers introduce fibre optic Internet that Bell has currently? Symmetrical speed is something everyone can enjoy.

@Jawed,

If you’re interested in having fibre to your home, we can arrange that depending on where your address is on the construction schedule.

Please send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE.

RogersZia

FiberInternet
I plan to stick around
Hi there I’m looking to get fibre to the home with Rogers could u arrange this

Hello, @FiberInternet

Thanks for posting your inquiry in the Community! 🙂

I know how exciting it can be to get more advanced technology for your Home Internet service. If you’re interested in having fibre to your home, we can arrange that depending on where your address is on the construction schedule.

Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can get take a look at this for you. Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, Click Here.

RogersTony

FiberInternet
I plan to stick around
Hey there thanks for your help I sent a message have a nice day.
Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 9 in conversation