Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

My dad got an automated call a little over a week ago saying his network had been compromised and he needed to call Rogers (or something to that effect - I didn't hear the call so I don't know exactly what it said) or his Internet would be shut off. Within the hour, it was shut off.

He called Rogers, they said they detected a "bot" called "Gozi" on our network. First of all, Gozi is a trojan virus. Again, I'm not sure because I wasn't there, but my dad said that Rogers explicitly stated that it was NOT a virus, it was a bot.

Earlier today, the Internet went down again. He called Rogers and shortly after received the same automated call as before. That's right, he got the PREVENTATITVE call AFTER it was shut off. 

We spent 1 hour and 45 minutes on the phone, the customer service representative would not listen and would not transfer us to the people who fixed the issue before. He said he didn't have the number. My dad read the number to him and then he finally transferred us. They did the same thing at the beginning - wouldn't listen, tried to send out a technician, tried to get him to buy a new router, etc.

Eventually my dad got them to listen, they asked him to reset the router and after he did, the Internet came back on. The people on the phone claimed they "did nothing."

Then they tell us that we need to do the TechXperts stuff. On 3 laptops we had TechXperts running various virus scans on our computers. One had no problems, the second had no problems (apart from the fact that your TechXpert lost 4 important tabs that I had pinned to Google Chrome - which is semi-understandable because she had to frequently open and close Chrome windows, and if you have more than one window open and close the one with pinned tabs before the other one, the tabs are gone [also to note, I tried ctrl+shift+T] . She also said that she wasn't allowed to turn off a VPN which I found odd - I can see why you wouldn't want your TechXperts turning on VPNs, but really, they're not allowed to turn one off?)  but the third one - here's where it gets good.

At a random point in the scanning, an error window popped up saying that we had lost connection to the TechXpert - note: at this point we were connected via an Ethernet cable. Try to reconnect (wireless and wired) and it seems that we don't have any connections available.

We called the support line again, spent another 1 hour 44 minutes on the phone. Just got the call back (which was 10 minutes late , by the way). The lady on the phone (who, although was quite kind and helpful overall, seemed like she wasn't qualified enough to be handling this issue) had me go into System Configuration, and make sure that in the Boot options, Network was enabled (the computer was in Safe Mode at the time). It was, so she suggested reboooting. 

When we rebooted, the computer got stuck in an infinite reboot cycle. We could not open the startup menu during this, and could not log in (when we tried to log in, it would say "Welcome" with the loading thing for about a minute, then reboot.

Eventually she suggested launching the startup menu by, in the login screen, clicking Shift+Restart, and launch the startup menu in there. Ended up managing to get the comupter in safe mode and out of the loop, but then we still couldn't connect to the Internet. 

Seemingly having no other options, I decided to change the Ethernet cable as a last resort (we'd already made sure it was properly connected for the record), all of a sudden everything works. I figured the cable must've just broken, so I tried it with a different computer. Nope! Still works. 

And that sums up my last 8 hours. You should remind your customer service people what good customer service is. Arguing with a customer, telling them they are wrong, and refusing to listen to what they have to say doesn't even qualify as customer service. Telling them they're wrong is a stupid thing to do even when they are wrong, forget about when they're right. 

This is by no means the first time we've had a problem like this either. Not even being hyperbolic, we've probably wasted at least 100 hours on the phone with your "customer service," and the problem has literally never been solved in less than an hour. Additionally, this is the first time that we could possibly have been at fault, with the "bot" and all, but even then; we were told that we didn't have it in the first place. 

I have no clue how such a large company can be so unreliable. Can honestly say that no company has ever made me feel less valuable as a customer than Rogers has, and if it were my choice I would have switched long ago. 

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Feedback: TechXperts - Extremely disappointed

Hello, @iamhayden

Thank you for the detailed post, I'm sorry for all the troubles. I've duly noted all the feedback provided and I'll pass it along to the appropriate customer service management group. Would you please send a message to @CommunityHelps when you are online so that we can take a closer look at the interactions, thank you. 

I hope you will have more positive pleasant experience in the future interactions with us, thank you for understanding.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

PS: If you need help in sending the private message, please see the how to.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

Re: Feedback: TechXperts - Extremely disappointed

Hello, @iamhayden

Thank you for the detailed post, I'm sorry for all the troubles. I've duly noted all the feedback provided and I'll pass it along to the appropriate customer service management group. Would you please send a message to @CommunityHelps when you are online so that we can take a closer look at the interactions, thank you. 

I hope you will have more positive pleasant experience in the future interactions with us, thank you for understanding.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

PS: If you need help in sending the private message, please see the how to.

View solution in original post