FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

I am also having the same issue as others. The modem was super stable in bridge mode without a reboot for months on 36T8. I consistently got the advertised speed and low ping times of 5-8ms. Ever since I got upgraded to 7.1.1.x the modem has become sluggish. The internet speed starts to slow down and the ping times go into the 100-200ms range. Sometimes the pings timeout all together resulting in a total loss of internet. The 192.168.100.1 management interface becomes unreachable. Once you reboot the modem everything is fast like it was on 36T8. After a few hours or days it starts acting up again. I've even tried a factory reset. The only way to fix this is via a reboot of the modem. I've brought this up twice to the tech support staff and they say "firmware can't slow a connection down" as if they are software engineers. I'm an engineer and dumbfounded at how flawed that statement is. Their initial "fix" was to put it into gateway mode which means I'm going to get double NAT'd and going through two firewalls. I said I can't settle for gateway mode and then they say they need to send a tech. The problem is once the modem is rebooted it will be snappy again and will take hours to days to get back into that bad state. So I don't know what good a tech would do in this situation. The thing they don't seem to understand is that it was super stable on 36T8 and the only variable here is this huge firmware upgrade. How does this not raise any alarm bells?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers modem/router details:

CODA-4582U

Hardware Version 1A
Software Version 7.1.1.32

NAT hair pinning / loopback used to work flawlessly on my network. I.e. I could use my public IP plus port number to view my security cameras (relevant ports were forwarded on the rogers router). It was working up to at least May2020, however when I checked them 2 weeks ago (and even now) I could no longer use the public IP to access the cameras. All relevant ports are forwarded and if I access the cameras from a different network, it works fine so its definitely an issue with NAT hair pinning / loop back on the CUDA-4582U.  

I've never had to configure anything apart from ports to get everything to work in the past so I suspect that the router had a software update sometime after May 2020 or Rogers has changed something on their network which caused this to stop working. Any help in restoring the NAT loopback feature would be really appreciated! 

(I've taken a look at the settings in the router but nothing seems relevant to NAT loopback as far as I can tell).

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

This isn't a fix, but if you are able to setup a VPN connection from your computer to a provider outside your home network, you can bypass the NAT loopback issue. The router thinks you are outside your home network in this case and you can then access the public IP. Not ideal, but at least it works. Fixing the firmware would be a better route.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the suggestion, but using a VPN is not a viable solution for me (especially when I usually check the cameras using my phone and I'd rather not deal with setting up a VPN on my phone).

Frankly, I'm surprised Rogers is fine with upgrading firmware for customer's devices when they have not enrolled in any beta program and the lack of communication with respect to a "Known Issues" page anywhere is rather ridiculous. I've wasted sooo many hours across several days resetting various things, reconfiguring stuff to try and find a solution to the NAT hairpining problem that appeared out of the blue. I'm also in the tech industry, and software updates / improvements to devices are common. Naturally there will be bugs but that's why you have testing, and you need to communicate with users about the known issues. At the very least give them the option to not update until issues are resolved. I'm disappointed with the way Rogers is handling this and really hope that they use this as a learning to experience to make real changes to how they handle firmware updates. I shouldn't have to read a 400+ page forum post to find out that a recent firmware update (which doesn't really seem like its even out of beta given this post's title and initial purpose) caused the issue I was running into.

Does anyone know how I can revert back to the old firmware? And how I can prevent automatic firmware upgrades in the future (or at least be notified of the fact that the firmware is going to update so that I'm not blindsided by things breaking after an update that I knew nothing about 😒)?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Your best bet is to use your own router, and put the cable modem in dumb mode (Turn off the gateway).  That is the only way you will have control, firmware is pushed whenever it is released.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The sad thing is it appears even the bridge mode with this new firmware has issues. I never signed up for a trial either but got pushed this buggy firmware 2 months ago. Everytime I speak to a tech they say they aren't aware of any issues. They say thousands of people are fine on bridge mode with this firmware as if they know for certain. I keep pointing them to threads about people complaining. They don't bother reading them and tell me they don't support third party routers and to switch to gateway mode. It's quite frustrating.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm fine on Bridge Mode, but then again, I'm not using a VPN (I don't need one for remote access, and I'm not sold on it for reasons of privacy either). In Gateway Mode though, it's a friggin disaster. I work in IT for home and small biz, and am getting calls in my area constantly about this problem where customers are blaming the computer for disconnecting from the network. My advice to customers: buy a third-party router (doesn't fix VPN problems), ask Rogers to downgrade the modem to a CGN3AC, or switch to FttH if it's available in the area. Those are the only solutions, as half-arsed as they are.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes! Yes! and Yes! This is exactly the behaviour I see.

Rogers has sent 4 techs to my house and the line is absolutely clean and I am on my 3rd CGN3 modem.  I am so tired of being pushed off.  I was pushed to the point of having to diagnose this myself.  There is a single cable plugged into my CGN3 and WIFI is disabled.  My current firmware is 4.5.8.40T2 and it runs in gateway mode.  I installed ZABBIX to monitor the rogers connection.  The 1st screenshot shows the typical slow escalation of the RTT to the local IP of the modem.  Latency becomes so bad that the modem becomes completely unresponsive from both in the house and when Rogers tries to login.  The bottom 3 graphs in that same screen show 3 different devices in the house, each with rock solid RTT.

image.png

This next ZABBIX screenshow shows how often I need to reboot my modem.  Every spike results in a reboot.  There was a quiet period from Jul 31 to Aug 7 while I was away on vacation and there was no traffic in the house.  Without any significant traffic, the modem stayed up.  I guess Rogers only supports Internet stability as long as you don't use it.

image.png

I have now configured a traffic stress test.  Our typical usage is less than 50Mbps.  I am going to load the link up to >150Mbps (on a 300M services) and see if I can cause the problem to occur more often.

I shouldn't have to be the one debugging this.  I'm paying for a service that should work without a need to reboot the modem daily.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

EDIT: images above seem fine now.

---

sorry - 1st time posting. The images are not uploading

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'll continue from my post above 

The problem recurred last night.  I'm including my information here in the hopes that it helps someone to diagnose the root cause of this issue.  The agents, field techs and senior field techs have not looked at this data.  They just check the lines and replace the modem hardware.  That won't resolve what I believe is a software issue in the modem.

• I only drove traffic for about 5 hours.  I did not run the traffic over night

20200811-traffic throughput.png

• You can see that the problem was starting during the 5 hours of receiving traffic by the slight, but gradual increase in RTT.  This RTT is measured from a server in my house to the modem's IP address in my house.
  • The downstream traffic is generated by a simple script that  performs a continual and repeated download of a multi-gigabit file which is sent directly to /dev/null.
  • This is the first time I purposely placed load on my downstream traffic beyond normal usage.  I am not convinced that this triggered the recurrence of the problem at this time, but there is insufficient data to conclude anything.  I stopped the traffic generation script because I read elsewhere in this forum that Rogers will throttle people who use excessive bandwidth. 
  • As you can see in the next graph, the RTT to all other devices in the house remains healthy and constant around 1ms

20200811-ping RTT.png

• Along with the delay, packet drops gradually increase, until the router hits 100% packet loss.  The bottom graph on the next screen shot illustrates this.  This is a simple ping from a server in my house to the Rogers DNS.  

20200811 - packet loss.png

• The device on the other end of the ethernet cable from the Rogers modem is a SNMP managed device.  During the time window above:
    • The link stayed operational
    • There were no changes in duplex
    • There were no inbound packet discards or inbound packet errors
    • The interface speed is constant at 1Gbps
    • The modem power is still on
  • If you are an agent reading this post, my answer is “No.  My modem is not plugged into a power bar.”
  • The agent I spoke with today will be sending another field tech to my house, but I honestly don't expect anything to get resolved from that visit.  If they choose to replace the modem, it will be my 4th modem in the last 1-2 months.  This really doesn’t look like a HW issue.
  • To me, this appears to be a software problem within the modem.  Some task (whatever it is), gets progressively slower over time.  It is as though the CPU is processing a list of intense and high priority CPU tasks.  As the list grows, the CPU becomes more and more consumed with processing the list. While the CPU is processing this growing list, it is unable to forward packets.  This would result in long RTT and occasional dropped packets.  Eventually, this “high priority” CPU task consumes the modem completely and all packet forwarding stops.  This includes dropping all packets destined to the GUI of the router (which I run in gateway mode)
  • I don’t have access to any debug logs or stats within the modem to diagnose what the modem itself is doing during this time.

I would encourage Rogers to please have someone beyond agents and field techs take a look at this problem profile.  I would be happy to continue the problem isolation and resolution with them.  I need a stable connection before September when school starts and I will be following this issue carefully.