FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Product Manager
Product Manager

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

@RyzenFXHave you experienced the GUI login issue since the upgrade last week?

@ablatt  Correct, there are changes which occur in the modem on the upgrade to 7.1 which are irreversible which is why we would rather not roll a modem back to 2.0 code.

@JohnBeaudinYou previously mentioned your Wi-Fi issues are across all devices, do you notice them more on one make/model then another? Does changing the channels make a difference?

thanks,
RogersIan

I've Been Around

Firmware: 7.1.1.30

Speeds are pretty bad.   Gigabit, performing much worse that the pretty solid 36T6 previous firmware.  Speeds down from 940Mbps to 400-780Mbps and up from 32.76Mbps to 10-24Mbps and when hitting the higher looks like it's really fighting to get to it.    

Save us... 😉

Greetings @fd123!

Should you be experiencing slow speeds, we really should run some tests and troubleshoot with you. I want to eliminate other technical issues as the culprit before we lean towards the firmware as being at fault.

Please PM us @CommunityHelps for further support. If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

I Plan to Stick Around

So what's the story with this 7.1 firmware?  Is it in production yet?  The trial and staggered rollout seems to be going on for quite a long time.

I've Been Here Awhile

Was firmware version 7.1.1.30  pushed to some CODA 4582 modems on Saturday (Feb  8th) or Sunday (Feb 9th)? 

Because usually what my modem did was it would assign IPs to my devices in order of connection, starting from .10, but Sunday morning I noticed that it was assigning random numbers and not in order (ex: .14 then .12). Also since that Sunday morning there is was a few times that my devices would not connect and I would have to restart. 

I am curious just why this happened so randomly and spontaneously. Unfortunately I did not check the firmware version of my modem for some time, so I do not know if it was as a result of this new 7.1.1.30 version being pushed to me randomly. Last thing I remember is back in November being on 2.0.10.36T6, and then Sunday seeing that it was on 7.1.1.30 after the IP and connection problems.

Is there a way for anyone at Rogers to check when a firmware was pushed to my device?

Also, if anyone has experienced what I mentioned about the random and not in order IP assigning to devices please let me know. And if someone that has their modem on version 7.1.1.30 that is willing to recreate and test the issue by restarting their modem and then connecting 2/3 devices to their wifi in order to see if they get the IPs 0.10, 0.11, etc, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I Plan to Stick Around

@ro11 

You will only see the incremental IP address assignment if the DHCP database is lost.  This occurs at either a subnet change on the LAN or a factory reset of the modem. All other times, the router maintains a DHCP database with IP addresses mapped to MAC addresses.  The default is a one week lease and is maintained for at least half that time by the client or until a link status is changed and a new DHCP addresses is negotiated between client and server.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ro11 log into your modem and check the STATUS .... DOCSIS EVENT log.  You should see a software download very early Sunday morning, probably around 2:20 to 2:30 am.  It may have been overwritten due to the firmware load.  If its still in the log, it will look very similar to this:

Log no    Time                                        Type                Priority     Event

15           02/08/2020      07:28:41      69010100      Notice      SW Download INIT - Via NMS

16           02/08/2020      07:29:39      69011100      Notice      SW download Successful - Via NMS

The log time showing in my case is UTC, not Eastern Standard time.

And, fwiw, there was another group of modems where that firmware was loaded on Sunday morning, including my modem. 

I've Been Here Awhile

@blues_clues 

The incremental IP assignment that I was talking about would happen after I would reboot the modem. So after every reboot, it would assign incremental IPs via DHCP to the devices in order that they are connected. But Sunday, my power went out and my modem restarted. After the restart thats when I saw that it was not incremental and the first device got a random IP. I then restarted the modem to see if it could be recreated, and it was again like that. And so on with every restart since Sunday. So looks like there is just some bug or something in the 7.1.1.30  firmware. 

I did tho manage to fix it now by going into the modem settings and disabling and re-enabling DHCP IP assignment, and now it does it properly incrementally. I am guessing that a factory reset would be good, as theres been many bugs since Sunday.

@Datalink 

Thanks for the reply. I checked and its not there. Theres other stuff there and the oldest one is from yesterday. I am guessing this is because yesterday I had to restart the modem so many times as I was facing so many issues like disconnecting, lag, slow download, etc. All this which started Sunday, and never happened before. I still wish Rogers can confirm if the firmware did get pushed to my device on Sunday. It is looking like that is the case though.

I never asked for my modem to be in the Trials,  so I dont know why I even got this firmware. Been having non stop problems since Sunday. 

Is it possible to get reverted back to 2.0.10.36T6. That was fine and didnt interrupt my daily tasks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ro11 the move to 7.1.1.30 is a one way street.  The end goal is to move all 4582 modems to a 7.x version to allow DOCSIS 3.1 upstream.  Right now DOCSIS 3.1 is only used on the downstream path.  

Fwiw, after the 7.1.1.30 update this weekend, my download rates were very unstable, ranging from 100 Mb/s up to maybe 700 Mb/s, usually averaging somewhere in the sub-400 to 500 Mb/s range.  That's very unsatisfactory to say the least.  

So, after a modem reboot, I kicked the modem into Gateway mode for speedtests and back into Bridge mode with my Asus RT-AC86U behind it.  The speedtest results improved to their previous results running 2.0.10.36T6.  I've seen downstream results up to 950 Mb/s using the www.speedtest servers from Rogers Ottawa, Montreal's Fibrenoire and Spectrum Syracuse NY server.  The uploads have been pegged at 32.99 Mb/s.  

So, personal opinion, a shift back and forth between Gateway mode and Bridge mode might work for you, last resort would be a factory reset.  

Also fwiw, I found that the Hitron modem's have always required a reboot at the very least, a full factory reset at the very worst, in order to see the best performance out of the modem following a firmware update.  That shouldn't be required, but, I've always seen better performance doing one or the other.  This latest update over the weekend has reinforced my previous observations and thoughts regarding Hitron, or "Intel Puma modem" updates. 

Don't be surprised to find bugs in this firmware as it includes a new kernel which is required to support DOCSIS 3.1 upstream.  Its possible that the kernel or additional files required to support the modem have bugs.  If you find a potential bug, please post it and mention @RogersIan to bring that to his attention.  

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersIan

In 7.1.1.30, the DOCSIS Event Log will show as blank after the modem has been running for a while - until the modem is rebooted.  I'm not sure if this is intentional or a bug.  It could take days to happen but eventually it will show up as empty.

I'm also not sure how many days it takes for this to happen.

I am running in Bridge mode.