FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Yup, two thumbs up on @mozerd's comment.  Bridge the modem and run your own router.  That will give you a great deal of flexibility to run your network as you require.  The issue these days is the data rate.  If you're going to run gigabit rates and any amount of functions or services, you will need a router with faster processor, which rules out number of typical consumer grade routers.  I'm wondering if you wouldn't be better off running something like a PfSense router which is more complex to set up, but, far above the consumer routers in terms of what it can do for you.  You can build that out of a pc, or buy one that is already built.  Building a pc with PfSense as the operating system would or could be cheaper.  That also leads to more questions of whether or not you happen to have a router already available which would provide wifi services.  If so, then its a question of installing a router to run the network and all of the required services. 

Just to clarify, the modem, in Bridge mode does not provide any services other than a bridge to the CMTS.  You would need your own router to provide firewall and DHCP services for your network.  

I Plan to Stick Around

@WestPoint I do use DHCP reservation with CODA modem and it works for me. My system is not as extensive as yours (20+ devices) but for few computers and some accessories that I have it works. I also have IPv6 enabled and don's see problems with it. What I have problem with and this also could be related to what you are experiencing is the devices disappearing from CODA connected device list. My small desktop computer reduces Ethernet port speed from Gigabit down to 10MB half duplex to preserve energy when off. It disappears from CODA connected devices list and port is not redirected anymore to correct IP. My problem is that I can't wake it up (or boot) from Internet side of CODA under this condition. It will wake up and boot remotely if activated from the LAN side only.

Quite possible that some of your devices go into the standby mode reducing speed over the LAN connection. CODA drops them out of connected device list making imposing to reach from the outside. You can test this by connecting Ethernet cable from device in question directly to the back of CODA modem. Under the advanced settings in CODA modem you should see the status of the port (speed) and check if it is listed in connected devices.

Names of the devices from DHCP table are not always showing up but this does not prevent CODA from accessing them by redirecting ports to correct IP's. Make sure to select "DHCP Start IP" and "End IP" to smaller range like 10 to 50 and use DHCP reservation in the table outside of this zone above 50. It may need some tweaking to get it right since the original assignment and reservations will be in the same zone. At the end it works with consistent IP's from table based on MAC addresses unless it's dropped out from connected devices table. I don't see random IP's for my reserved devices. Cloud and direct printing is also working for me on Brother and Samsung printers.

I Plan to Stick Around

I had bridge set up in the past but took it down. Slows down the connection and increases the ping times.

Not needed for simple stuff.

I've Been Here Awhile

My internet was unusable today with firmware 2.0.10.33T11 (March 12, 2018). I had to reset the modem by pressing the reset button for about a minute and I'm back on the old firmware Software Version 2.0.10.28T2. The internet is working a little better, but the speed is horrible on a 500u plan. The modem is about one month old. The previous one was having the same issue.

http://ipv6-test.com/speedtest/

Address xxxxxxxxISPSpeedSpeed

xxxxxxx
Rogers Communications Canada Inc.

63.6 Mbit/s
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't thing the firmware has a major impact on Internet speed. It's probably more to do with signal quality, house and area wiring, distance from the switches etc. I have strong signal and never complain about the speeds. I'm getting over 940Mbps to New York City on two different test sides.

Look at my post:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/FEEDBACK-Rogers-Rocket-Wi-Fi-Modem-Firmware-Trial/m-p/...

The http://ipv6-test.com/speedtest/ is giving me 70Mbps on IPv4 to Quebec witch is not correct. I know I can download a lot faster from a lot farther with IPv4 only.

Quebec

Alaska

Netherlands

I Plan to Stick Around

Speed test

I Plan to Stick Around

@Makaveli99 are on 500MB or 1GB account?

Good speed on IPv4 according to this test.

I Plan to Stick Around

On 500/20

I Plan to Stick Around

Gigabit here.

I Plan to Stick Around

How do I exit the 4582 trial firmware program? I have had two recent outages, and barring the possibility of imminent modem failure, that's enough for me.