FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Just throwing it out there and maybe coincidental but my upload speeds have been impacted with firmware .35.  However, waiting to hear back from Rogers maintenance as my issues maybe related to noise.  But anyone on the .35 in bridge mode test your speeds will do some of my testing in gateway and see if upload speeds improve.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hello @RogersDave

Could you please push the latest firmware to my modem. I sent you a PM with my serial number.

Also, what is the difference between Version 1 and Version 2 hardware? Should I upgrade to Version 2.0?

Thanks

Mahomed
I'm Here A Lot

OK so now I am officially frustrated and depressed with the service I receive from Rogers. I am on the ignite 250 plan and I have experience several random disconnects daily at a frequency from every couple hours to multiple times an hour. I have been through a couple modems and tried different routers all with the same end result. I thought trying this beta firmware on the CODA-4582 would help but it's the same. Not worse or better. Still just awful. I get this message several times a day that coincides with my connection loss. 

"Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted..."

"Ranging Request Retries exhausted..."

"No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out..."

The modem's MAC address is also in the log, so I omitted that part.

My neighbour has the same issue as me so I believe it may be outside of the wiring in my house. I don't know where else to complain to get this problem fixed.

I've Been Here Awhile

CODA-4582 A1

FW: 2.0.10.32

Have a couple of questions here.

The Band Steering option in the x.32 GUI doesn't appear to do anything. I see that while it was added to x.30, x.30 was never deployed. Does this mean the GUI option has been deployed but not the actual functionality?

I was having non-stop DHCP issues on x.28T with the same MAC getting multiple IPs which seemed to clear up on x.32, but band steering is pretty important for some of the hardware in my setup.

What I did notice after my upgrade to x.32 is ports that I manually opened in Port Forwarding (namely 15151 and 32400) were blocked still. I've ruled out anything device related (ie software firewall) so it's pointing at the modem (or Rogers?) blocking them. Why would that be?

In addition, I noticed there is a newer hardware revision/replacement for the CODA-4582, am I able to request the new  one through customer service?

My main reason is WiFi distance seems to be lacking on my unit.  It's not able to reach 10-12 meters (with 1 wall in the LoS). Yet my D-Link Extender (DAP-1860) is reaching well beyond that (I tested by turning off WiFi on the CODA-4582 and placing the Ext in AP mode at the same location).  At 12 meters the COA signal was 0 bars. At 12 meters, the Dlink AP was 4 bars. Not sure what's going on with that; Never had an extender with a stronger signal than a full base station.

Last quick question, is there a way to flush the DHCP table? Haven't found anywhere on the interface.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My main reason is WiFi distance seems to be lacking on my unit.  It's not able to reach 10-12 meters (with 1 wall in the LoS). Yet my D-Link Extender (DAP-1860) is reaching well beyond that (I tested by turning off WiFi on the CODA-4582 and placing the Ext in AP mode at the same location).  At 12 meters the COA signal was 0 bars. At 12 meters, the Dlink AP was 4 bars. Not sure what's going on with that; Never had an extender with a stronger signal than a full base station.

With the CODA make sure to use these wifi settings:

2.4Ghz 

Channel width 20mhz, wireless channels 1, 6, or 11. Security WPA 2 AES

5Ghz: 

Channel width 80mhz, wireless channels 149-161, Security WPA2 AES.

Using the higher wireless channels (149+) is very important for wireless range, because they transmit at a higher power level than the lower channels.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lusky3, I can’t answer all of your questions, but, I’ll answer what I can.

1. Bandsteering:  Good question, don’t have an answer for that one.  I’ll ask @RogersDave to have a look at your post to provide further answers.... done.  

1. Port blocking for ports 15151 and 32400:  Also can’t answer.  That would take someone like @RogersDave to answer.

1. CODA-4582 hardware revision/replacement.  There are two modems in operation, the CODA-4582 and CODA-4582U.  The second has slightly different components but, it has the same functionality as the original.  So, there isn’t a good reason to replace the original with the updated 4582U.  

1. Wifi is an interesting issue.  The one thing to keep in mind is that Beamforming is not enabled in the 4582, so, I would expect to see some difference in performance compared to a router or extender that has beamforming capabilities enabled.  I don’t know if MU-MIMO is enabled in the 4582, I suspect not.  So, if you do have Beamforming enabled for 802.11ac operation, and more than one MU-MIMO capable device with MU-MIMO enabled in the extender, then yes, you could see much better performance from the extender when compared to the 4582.  To make any comparisons, you really have to consider the operating modes of the modem and extender and look carefully at the received power levels off of each device as that will ultimately determine what operating level that the network will run at.  By that I refer to the right hand Very High Throughput Index level in the following chart where the spatial streams equate to the number of antenna on the transmitter and/or receiver.  The higher the received power level and signal to noise ratio, the lesser the number of error correcting bits necessary for each packet exchange between devices.  That allows the two devices to go down the chart, using encoding which yields faster data exchange as well as fewer error correcting bits.  The chart shows the raw connect rate between devices.  The fraction in the Modulation and Coding column is used to determine what percentage of the bits are used for data transmission at any given time.   

1. One also has to keep in mind the operating channel, both 2.4 and 5 Ghz.  With that in mind, can you have a look at my comments regarding wifi settings and environment that are contained in the following post:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Any-way-to-disable-IPv6-on-Hitron-CGN3AMR-or-other-way...

That was posted just a few minutes ago.  

1.  Flushing the DHCP table.  I’ve never seen any function in any of the Hitron routers so far that allows that.  That might be a good idea for a future firmware build.

I Plan to Stick Around

FW 2.0.10.32 on my CODA has been buggy. Few times a day, it would drop D3.1 and start lagging + packet loss.

Most pages wouldn't load or load very slowly when this happens. Rebooting the modem fixes it temporarily but I've had to reboot almost a dozen times already since 32 was deployed.

Please reinstall 2.0.10.31 on my modem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lusky3, here is the missing MCS index that I was referring to:

http://mcsindex.com/

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you, @Datalink, this and your previous replies have been very helpful.
Network Architect
Network Architect

@Datalink@lusky3

@Datalink wrote:
  1. Bandsteering:  Good question, don’t have an answer for that one.  I’ll ask @RogersDave to have a look at your post to provide further answers.... done.  
  1. Port blocking for ports 15151 and 32400:  Also can’t answer.  That would take someone like @RogersDave to answer.

I'll retest these features today and get back to you. 

1. CODA-4582 hardware revision/replacement.  There are two modems in operation, the CODA-4582 and CODA-4582U.  The second has slightly different components but, it has the same functionality as the original.  So, there isn’t a good reason to replace the original with the updated 4582U.  

One clarification, there are actually 3 modems:

• CODA-4582ROG Rev 1A
  • CODA-4582U Rev 1A
  • CODA-4582U Rev 2A

The CODA-4582ROG 1A and CODA-4582U Rev 1A are exactly the same with the exception that the "U" version which stands for unbranded does not have the Rogers logo on the front of the modem. All modems available in store are either one of these 2.

The CODA-4582U Rev 2A is the second revision of the internal pc board which is a normal process with consumer electronic as availability of components changes over time. It is not better than revision 1A, simply a revised design. This modem is not available yet, we are still testing it internally and with a few members of this forum before we provide the go ahead to Hitron to switch over the production from revision 1A to 2A.

1.  Flushing the DHCP table.  I’ve never seen any function in any of the Hitron routers so far that allows that.  That might be a good idea for a future firmware build.

What exactly is the request? The modem maintains a DHCP table so that it does not allocate an IP to a device that has been already allocated. However, the DHCP flow always starts with a device asking the server "is IP 192.168.0.X (the previous IP the device had on this network) available for me?" The DHCP server will then ACK or NACK the request by either offering the same IP or a new one if the requested IP is not available.

Flushing the DHCP table would mean that the server would loose track of previously allocated IPs, would loose the hostname (for the connected devices table) and some devices may change IP but most would keep exactly the same ones unless you have a very large turnover of devices (public WiFi for example).

--Dave