FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Is Nat acceleration enabled on the Asus?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure you can enable/disable Nat Accelaration from the user interface.  Is AI Protection and QOS disabled?

I just did my Speedtest again.  Using IPv6 to the Rogers server I get 10 mbps upload.  Using Telus 30.  I wonder if there's some funky IPv6 routing issue going on?  By the way, I'm still on .32 firmware, not .33 .

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

AiProtection, Adaptive QOS, etc are all disabled. I don’t see an option for NAT acceleration.

Also, another update. I just got off a one hour Teams call and zero issues! No drops or disconnections. So it appears my Teams issues were also related to IPv6, even though IPv6 was disabled on my router (at least I thought it was but it probably wasn’t disabled fully...perhaps a bug in the Asus UI). Now that it’s disabled 100% and my upload speeds are back to normal, my Teams performance is also back to normal.
Highlighted

I was at my parents’ house earlier this evening and decided to do some testing. They’re legacy digital customers on the 75/10 plan. They have a bridged CODA with their own TP-Link Archer C9 router with IPv6 enabled. Couldn’t test MS Teams but did manage to do some speed testing. Their results were very similar to mine in that their upload speed tests were all over the place but mostly low (from 2Mbps to 5Mbps). As soon as I disabled IPv6 on the router and rebooted it, upload speeds shot up to the 10-11Mbps where they should be at. So the IPv6 issue is definitely not specific to my Asus router. There’s definitely something going on when IPv6 is enabled on 3rd party routers on the Rogers network.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You know, that's a rather interesting observation.  Maybe, for any situation where there's either slow speeds, inconsistent speeds, or micro-disconnects, a temporary test recommendation should be to run a ping test to the CMTS, using two test cases, one with IPV6 running and one with IPV4 only where IPV6 is disabled.  Maybe that test should be run for every modem, just to see what turns up.  You never know until you start looking at the data.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

In my case, if I use any other speedtest.net server that supports IPv6 (such as Innsys, Teksavvy or Telus) I get my proper upload speed of 30 mbps.  Only the Rogers server gives me 10 most of the time on IPv6 - but 30 on IPv4.

Highlighted

@ablatt that’s interesting. I did use Telus as well as a test server but it didn’t make much of a difference when I tested at my house or at my parents’ house. Upload speeds still weren’t where they should’ve been. Also, I feel that just because the other servers are fine for you doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem with IPv6 routing thru the Rogers network, especially since it seems to impact performance of MS Teams and who knows what else (i.e. the issue isn’t visible just from a speed test as there is also a tangible impact with apps and real world traffic). Also, what’s strange is that in my testing, it’s only when using 3rd party routers. Everything seems fine when using the CODA exclusively in gateway mode with IPv6 enabled.

Edit: @Datalink that makes sense. I know problems or misconfigurations with the CMTS can cause IPv6 routing issues. My parents don’t live in the same neighbourhood so they’re connected to a different CMTS. That could imply the issue is more widespread across larger portions of the Rogers network, but the fact that everything works fine when using the CODA exclusively tells me it’s not the CMTS. It’s the way IPv6 traffic is being handled between the CODA and 3rd party routers...at least that’s what it feels like.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are we discussing the white Hitron CODA-4582 exclusively, no other modem?  If so, wonder if this has anything to do with the update to firmware version 7x, currently at 7.1.1.33?  That uses an updated kernel which is supposed to support OFDMA (DOCSIS 3.1 upstream).

Have you tried google fibre's speedtest:  http://speedtest.googlefiber.net/

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I do have the white CODA 4582.  I'm on 7.1.1.32 firmware and on the OFDMA upstream profile. 

Highlighted

@Datalink Yes, I’m talking about the white CODA-4582. I’m on firmware 7.1.1.33 and my parents are on 7.1.1.32. I didn’t try Google’s speedtest.