FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

grrr, stumped, but, you indicated an interesting point, which was that you were having audio drops on Team.  Your signal levels look ok, but, you can still have cable issues with good looking signal levels.  Ok, so, try this, run a ping test to the CMTS, looking for cable signal dropouts. 

To do that, run a command line trace to anywhere, google for example:

tracert -4 www.google.com

The first IP will be the modem, the second IP address will be the CMTS.  Ping the CMTS for at least an hour.  To do that, use:

ping -n 3600 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx        where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the 2nd hop IP address.  

To run a longer test, simply increase the "3600" number.  Windows pings 1 ping every second, so, 3600 pings will take an hour to complete after which the test will terminate.  You can also run an indefinite test using:

ping -t xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx           where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the 2nd hop IP address

Use Ctrl c to terminate the test.  

When the test is done, copy the bottom results and paste them in a post.  To do that, simply select the bottom results area in the command box.  Hold the left button down on your mouse when it positioned at the front end of the first results line, and drag down to highlight or select all of the results line.  Use Ctrl c to copy them to the clipboard and then Ctrl v or right click ..... Paste to dump the data into a post.  I wonder what that might show, if anything.  Over the course of a 24 hour test, I'd expect to see no more than about 12 lost packets.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Do a search on Win 10 1809, looks like there were a bunch of network problems, why are you on such an old version anyway?  Perhaps you should upgrade, before pulling your hair out on the actual connection. 

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Datalink will do. I’ll try to run the ping test today. Thanks.

@fd123 we control the Win10 versioning upgrades at work. We’re in the middle of upgrading everyone to 1909. I just haven’t gotten around to doing it yet on my laptop. We’re a very large organization (with many service lines and critical business apps), and so there’s a lot of testing that needs to go into every version update prior to rollout.

Also, just a couple of other points I wanted to make. I experience the same Teams issues on my iPhone (I have the Teams app installed on my phone too) when I’m connected to my WiFi network. If I turn WiFi off on my phone and use Teams over my cell network, everything works fine with no audio drops or disconnections at all. Lastly, the 5Mbps upload speed test cap is across all devices - laptops and phones. The reason why it looks and feels throttled is because the speed test needle immediately jumps to 5Mbps (sometimes closer to 6) and stays there for the entire duration of the test. There’s absolutely no fluctuation whatsoever. It’s as if I’m on a 5Mbps upload speed profile. I’ve run tests using Ookla and Rogers’ own speed test tool - both tools behave exactly the same way and show exactly the same results.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Do you have any type of QoS running on the network, perhaps it doesn't recognize the data and is slowing it because of being an unknown?  or unassigned priority? 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Want to add that lately my speed tests on my MAC have show some weird results.  I run the Speedtest.net app on a MAC connected to an RT-AC86U which is connected to the CODA 4582 in bridge mode.

I am on the 1000/30 plan.  For a number of consecutive speed tests yesterday to the Rogers site my upload would fluctuate between 6 and 25 if I used the default settings.  If I disabled IPv6 on my MAC the upload would stay at 32.   But more interesting, if I changed the speed test site to Telus or Innsys and used IPv6 I would also get a consistent 32 upload.  Which means something appears wrong with the IPv6 speed test to the Rogers site.

Highlighted

Nope. Nothing like that. Nothing has changed on my network. Same setup and same simple/basic/standard config on my router that’s been in place for years. Like I said, I went from 22Mbps upload consistently over the past 2+ years to suddenly 5Mbps capped several days ago with zero changes on my end. I’ve also been uploading the same amount of data on a monthly basis (average of 35-40GB) since January, so I’d be interested to know when Rogers started to implement their throttling policy.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

As Datalink suggested you should ping the 2nd hop address to see if there's any significant packet loss there. 

Not saying you're not throttled, but at least this will help rule out any network issues.

Highlighted

***UPDATE AND INTERESTING FINDINGS***

@-G- @Datalink

Ok so now my upload speed is back to 22Mbps and the issue DOES appear to be related to IPv6!!! Here’s what I did:

1. With IPv6 disabled on my router, I rebooted my router once more. Ran speed tests from my iPhone and laptop. Upload still capped at 5Mbps.

2. Enabled IPv6 on my router. Rebooted router. Ran speed tests on iPhone and laptop. Upload still capped at 5Mbps.

3. Disabled IPv6 on my router again. Rebooted router again. Ran speed tests on iPhone and laptop. Boom! Upload back up to 22Mbps consistently. Don’t know why the router reboot with IPv6 disabled in step #1 above didn’t fix the upload speed issue, but toggling IPv6 on and off again followed by a router reboot again, fixed the problem.

Then for fun...

4. I re-enabled IPv6 on my router. Rebooted router. Ran speed tests and upload back down to 5Mbps.

5. Disabled IPv6 on my router again. Rebooted router again. Upload back up to 22Mbps consistently once again.

6. Disconnected my router from CODA modem. Kicked the CODA back into gateway mode. CODA rebooted. Once it was back up in gateway mode, I connected my laptop directly to CODA and confirmed IPv6 connectivity (IPv6 tests all ran successfully). Ran speed tests from Ookla and Rogers. Upload speed tests still consistently at 22Mbps.

So, the upload speed issue appears to be with MY ROUTER WHEN IPv6 IS ENABLED!!! The issue does NOT appear to be on Rogers’ end nor with the CODA.

I still need to test Teams again but now the Teams issue appears to be unrelated to the upload speed issue.

I now no longer trust my Asus router. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good router alternative to Asus? Is Netgear any better? I still want to use my own router but I need to find something that handles IPv6 traffic properly while also providing good coverage and performance. Even if I decide to get Ignite TV, I would still like to use a good 3rd party router.

Thanks everyone for the support and guidance!
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I had my upload issue, but only running the MAC based Speedtest.net app to the Rogers server using IPv6.  This behaviour only started a few days ago.  Switching to Telus or Innsys gave me my expected upload speed.  Did you try servers other than Rogers using IPv6?

By the way, even with IPv6 enabled when you run the speedtest.net app to a Bell server, it will use IPv4.  You can see that in the speedtest.net results history.

Also I assume your Asus IPv6 settings follow https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-IPv6-Status/m-p/373238#M36710

Highlighted

Ok. Re-enabled IPv6 again on my router. Rebooted router again. Tested with Ookla using different servers (Rogers and Telus). Rogers still at ~5Mbps. Telus server not much better - went up to 10Mbps but then dropped down to 8Mbps by the end of the test. Disabled IPv6 again and rebooted router again. Re-tested - Rogers server at ~22Mbps; Telus server at ~21Mbps.

And yes - my IPv6 settings on my router were configured per the Rogers post you shared.

Edit - Also need to reiterate that when I ran speed tests (Ookla using Rogers sever and the Rogers speed test tool) directly thru the CODA with IPv6 enabled, everything was fine...consistent upload speeds of ~22Mbps. The speed issue only presents itself when connected thru my Asus RT-AC68U with IPv6 enabled. It’s a shame really because apart from this problem, it’s a really great router.