Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@roy86 send a message to @CommunityHelps requesting removal from the trial programme.

@sgobiraj if you're indicating that version 7.x on the CODA-4582 is unstable in Bridge mode, I haven't had any issues with this version, except for the problem of not being able to access the modem with .31 and .32 loaded.  Now that .33 is loaded, hopefully that problem has been resolved.  

I suspect that if you're having problems, that might be related to a signal issue, or perhaps a loading issue with the neighbourhood node or CMTS.  Its worth investigating, but I doubt that you'll see an honest answer out of Rogers as they usually don't disclose load numbers.  

MisterPinst
I plan to stick around

@Datalink I'd love to hear your feedback in a few days if the problem with accessing the modem management page (192.168.100.1) goes away with the .33 release. That would allow me to switch back to bridge mode and resume the use of my Unifi USG router.

@MisterPinst fwiw, version 7.1.1.33 was loaded on my modem at 5:13 am Monday 24 Aug and rebooted at 8:50 am Tuesday 25 Aug, just because that's what I normally do following a firmware update and that was the first opportunity for a reboot.  I run the modem in Bridge mode and haven't had any issues accessing the modem or the DOCSIS WAN page with this version loaded.  Previously with .31 and .32 loaded, the modem's user interface would hang and even if I could log into the modem, it wasn't possible to access the DOCSIS WAN page without the user interface hanging.  I never did see any real issues with internet performance with either .31 or .32.  For now, with .33 loaded for 4+ days, so far, so good.  I still have a series of ICMP and TCP/IP ping and dns query tests to run before I come to any conclusion.  

I've noticed since loading 7.1.1.32 onto my modem that after a short period the web interface becomes unavailable.  A reboot restores it but sure enough after a day or two it tanks out again.  I'm running in bridge mode.

RogersIan
Product Manager
Product Manager

Any feedback on 7.1.1.33 so far?

RogersIan

zardoz99
I plan to stick around

It does appear to have fixed the problem with the management interface login page. 

I no longer have to power cycle the modem every day. 

rjmaxim
I plan to stick around

Cannot tell.......Still on 7.1.1.32 and not able to access modem. Still occasional drops in Netflix streaming. When will all Beta participants get this new release?

ablatt
I plan to stick around

Just to let everyone know my CODA-4582 was updated for OFDMA upload about a month ago and upload speeds and ping times were fairly consistent up until a few days ago.  I'm on .32 firmware.

But recently, now that many modems have been updated for upload OFDMA, I am right back to where I was before.  During the day and evening, upload speed drops from 32 to 20 or below, and ping to the first hop drops from 14 to 30 ms. or above.

Which means to me, that upload OFDMA won't help at all on a congested node.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
First of all, I’ve been trying to post something on these forums for the last few days but keep getting an error message when hitting the “post” button. Not sure if it’s happening to others but someone on the Rogers development team might want to look into it.

Hopefully it works this time.

With respect to 7.1.1.33, my download speeds seem to be capped at 400-450 on my 500u connection. Older versions of 7.1.1.32 was slightly better but nowhere near as good as 36Tx. With the 36T series of firmware, I would always clock my download speed at 560-580. It was consistently always close to 600. The 7.x series seems to always be clocked under 500 for me. Everything else (stability, ping, upload speed, etc) are fine.

zardoz99
I plan to stick around

Unfortunately, it appears that I was premature with my earlier reply.

The modem has once again locked up the admin login page and also appears to be working poorly, with bad connectivity.
Another power cycle has been required to restore functionality.

Running exclusively in bridge mode.

I have the same issues on 7.1.1.33 as 7.1.1.32 - about every 24 hours my modem locks up (drops internet) in bridge mode. 

I had no issues prior to 7.1.1.32 on my CODA-4582 modem. Rogers tech support is not helping with this issue - and check my line each time.

sgobiraj
I plan to stick around

They're in denial of the issue... Their tech support has no clue how to troubleshoot this problem and will just try to swap modems. No point of swapping a modem that will be on the newer firmware. I've given up waiting and just waiting for a new firmware update that will hopefully solve the problem that was introduced.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor
@Datalink @RogersIan

Any news on Docsis 3.1 upload ? It's been a while we are waiting.

I'll be interested in that answer as well.  There are apparently some Rogers customers running 3.1 OFDMA (upstream) at the present time.  So far, it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference, which isn't what I was expecting to hear.  Spectrum in the U.S. has enabled 3.1 upstream in various locations.  Looks like there are mixed results, more bad than good from what I've seen.  

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

Yes we would all like to know! 

blues_clues
I plan to stick around

@RogersIan 

Please bring back the feature to forward IPV6 DNS requests, which was available in the 36T6 train but not in the current 7.1.1.x train.  I run PiHole for both IPV4 and IPV6 but must hard code my IPV6 devices to forward to the PiHole rather than using the forwarding feature in the router.

fd123
I plan to stick around

Guess you'll have to shut your PiHole now... 😉  sorry.. lol. 

Alborze
I plan to stick around

Hahaha, couldn't resist either! 😛

Just curious, I've got an upgrade offer from Rogers to switch to the Ignite Internet Gigabit and Smart Stream box.

Anyone know which modem that is, can you share your experience with details about the speed or reliability as well as wifi coverage etc...?

Compared to the CODA 4582U modem, is this a proper upgrade or they selling snake oil as usual?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Alborze wrote:

Hahaha, couldn't resist either! 😛

Just curious, I've got an upgrade offer from Rogers to switch to the Ignite Internet Gigabit and Smart Stream box.

Anyone know which modem that is, can you share your experience with details about the speed or reliability as well as wifi coverage etc...?

Compared to the CODA 4582U modem, is this a proper upgrade or they selling snake oil as usual?

With Ignite Internet, you will be getting the XB6 gateway.  There are currently two versions of it in the field: one made by Technicolor, which is based on a Broadcom BCM3390 chipset, and another made by Arris, based on an Intel Puma 7 chipset.  Rumour has it that Rogers is no longer providing the Arris variant, so you would most likely get the Technicolor version.

They are both decent modems.  Whether or not it is an upgrade over the Hitron CODA is a matter of opinion.  The Technicolor XB6 is arguably better hardware.  If your WiFi coverage is not that great, you can expand it by installing Ignite WiFi Pods.  Some also like that you can manage everything using the Ignite WiFi Hub mobile app.  The SmartStream set-top box is basically the same hardware as the one for Ignite TV.

However, you may find the software on the XB6 lacking; it is missing missing features that you may require and may even take for granted.  e.g. you cannot configure custom DNS servers and the XB6 modem does not allow you to configure a separate Guest WiFi network.  Furthermore, as soon as you start managing the device using the mobile apps, you will lose access to some configuration settings through the web-based management UI.

In my opinion, the XB6 also does not have a "true" bridge mode.  Yes, you can enable "bridge mode" and your modem will still be able to obtain public IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, but it doesn't TOTALLY disable all functions on the gateway and transform it into a basic modem.  In bridge mode, the XB6 will still have several services running internally and its WiFi will not be completely disabled; several hidden SSIDs will remain active that you have no control over.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Greeting community. I’m running a CODA-4582 in bridge mode with my own router. I’m on the 500/20 plan. I’ve had this setup for a long time and up until a few days ago, my speeds (download and upload) have been mostly flawless and consistent. A few days ago, my upload speeds tanked and have stayed low ever since. They seem to now top out at around 5-6Mbps regardless of time of day. Download speeds are fine. Ping and jitter are also low as they’ve always been. I’ve rebooted my modem and router which has not helped. Also checked signal levels on my CODA and they have not changed at all from what they were prior to my upload speed drop. My router (Asus RT-AC68U) has the latest firmware. Modem is on firmware 7.1.1.33 and has been for a while. I don’t think my node is congested because Rogers performed a “network uplift” in my neighbourhood a couple of years ago (many many node splits, removal of all amplifiers, upgraded spectrum to 1.2GHz, etc). As I said, my upload speeds have been consistently at 22Mbps for the last 2 years up until a few days ago when they dropped to 5-6. Does anyone know if Rogers recently deployed any config change to their CODA modems? I’m not referring to firmware updates because I’ve been on 7.1.1.33 for a while. Wondering if there was a recent config change that might’ve messed up my upload speeds?