FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

I'm hoping that we can start 2019 pretty well with a clear indication of what's to come in terms of firmware/network updates for the CODA-4582 within the next month or so. @RogersIan do you think we can have some insight into this?

Ideas that I would certainly love to hear about:

• When will the next trial firmware be released to trial members and what will it fix, implement, or improve on?
  • Is the release of OFDMA around the corner? Is there anything the community needs to know when this network change hits?
  • Will the CODA-4582 ever be updated to show the correct OFDM information?

I Plan to Stick Around

Hardware Version 1A

Software Version 2.0.10.36T5

Given the ongoing issues with the CODA-4582 on this version, with DHCP and 2.4G WiFi being the biggest ones for me, I am looking at the options to go to bridged mode instead. At one point, I had to put the CODA on a timer socket to force a power cycle every 24 hours, just to keep the service available while I was on vacation! 

What have the folks on here found to be the best router to put behind the CODA?

I use ipv6 extensively, so that's a must have. 

I'd love to have an answer to these questions also @RyzenFX

But it seems Rogers staffs are long gone from the forum.

I Plan to Stick Around

My CODA 4582-U 2A is running 36T6 in bridge mode with an Asus RT-AC86U with the latest Asus stock firmware.  The CODA modem reboots on its own every week at least.    I have no idea if it's modem or signal related.  I don't think it's the Asus.

It happens quickly and if you're not around you may not notice it.  You can see the MIMO messages in the log.

Product Manager
Product Manager

My apologies everyone, I am just getting back into the swing of things.

2019 brings

• Band Steering Q1
  • OFDMA (3.1 Upstream) Q2

As far as trial firmware, we recently finished testing  .37T2 for coda. This would have been out for trial by now, but bugs were found so it was not a candidate. Good news is we very recently received a new version with the fixes in place which is under test.

RogersIan

Thanks for the update @RogersIan!

Looking forward to these, especially D.31 Upstream.

I Plan to Stick Around

@RyzenFX wrote:

@rjmaxim 

OP was mistaken and thought it was FTTC, but instead they replaced the existing coax with new coax. They also relieved any sort of congestion experienced by adding 4-5 new nodes, as well as another 4-5 new nodes in the other end of OP's neighbourhood. 

I agree with you that internet prices are too expensive, and we do need competition to lower prices but with so little competition there's not really much we can do than bargain for better deals like the $35 500u going around right now.

Have you ever talked to customer support about congestion in your neighborhood? Maybe they could give you some insight if your neighbourhood is slated to be upgraded like the one above.

@RyzenFX 

Thx.....I was being factious.

I have spoken with CS but led to nothing..... will also look into OP's comments. Pricing and Performance are just but a few things. My other point was about clarity....Rogers should clarify their Ultimate Fibre/Hybrid Fibre vs Ignite Internet offerings. It's unclear to me.....Where an Ultimate Fibre 350Dwn/350Up and Hybrid Fibre 250, 150, 60  fit in their Ignite Internet line of 1Gb/500Mb/150Mb. If you add pricing...it really gets confusing and weird (without even considering performance). Add Ignite IPTV....and it gets blurry, when bandwidth, latency and consistency are paramount. 

Has anyone dealt with the OoP (office of the president) and received favorable results? Smiley Wink  

@RogersIan

Thanks for the update.

When you refer to Band Steering, do you mean that it is coming to the CGN models?

Highlighted

@rjmaxim

To clarify, I believe that Rogers only offers "true" Fibre internet to its business customers, and Ignite Internet is only available for residential customers. If you're still not getting anywhere close to the speeds you are paying for, try contacting @CommunityHelps or if that doesn't help you can always raise your issue to the OOTP. 

I'm an Advisor

@rjmaxim wrote:

My other point was about clarity....Rogers should clarify their Ultimate Fibre/Hybrid Fibre vs Ignite Internet offerings. It's unclear to me.....Where an Ultimate Fibre 350Dwn/350Up and Hybrid Fibre 250, 150, 60  fit in their Ignite Internet line of 1Gb/500Mb/150Mb. If you add pricing...it really gets confusing and weird (without even considering performance). Add Ignite IPTV....and it gets blurry, when bandwidth, latency and consistency are paramount.

I'm not sure about "Ultimate Fibre" (is this different from Hi-Speed Internet Ultimate which IIRC was 250 megabits? At one point there was a faster tier for customers on FTTH so maybe that's where that came from...), but "Hybrid Fibre" is just an old marketing name for Rogers Internet.

Once upon a time, they had named Internet plans, e.g. Rogers Hi-Speed Internet Express/Extreme/Ultimate/etc. (I forget the name of the others - there were a couple slower tiers than 'Express' which was the mainstream option) These had inconsistent speeds, too, depending on which flavour of the plan you had - e.g. the DOCSIS 3 variant of Extreme was significantly faster than the grandfathered DOCSIS 2 variant.

Then, perhaps in response to Bell's 'Fibe' branding, they renamed all the plans Hybrid Fiber X, where X is the download speed. Also started including modem rental price in the advertised price on the web site, though the invoice continued to have it as a separate line item. (It's worth noting Videotron in Quebec continues to brand its Internet plans "hybrid fiber")

Then they again rebranded the plans, maybe a little over 3 years ago, to Rogers Ignite Internet and rebalanced the speed tiers, e.g. the Hybrid Fiber 150 I used to have was... replaced with Ignite 100u and 250u, IIRC. I think that's also when they added gigabit as the top tier (the top Hybrid Fiber was 500 IIRC).

But all of these names are fundamentally describing the same thing, i.e. some newer DOCSIS generation over RF, either on coax or RFoG.