Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

ablatt
I plan to stick around
Don't you mean .36T2 is latest test code?

DavidPC
I plan to stick around

Hey Sergio, I would be pleased to test the latest CODA firmware whenever my area is hit with a CMTS upgrade.

mozerd
I plan to stick around

@WestPoint wrote:

still on 2.0.10.34T6

Guys the Home Hub 3000 sounds great, but Bell doesnt support Port Forwarding, the modem physically blocks it even if you use your own router, and also they dont have IPv6 on Fibe... so yea theres that.....

@WestPoint

Bell's FTTH service: There is no port forward restrictions when the HH3000 is removed from the chain and the Fiber Cable that Bell provides is connected to your switch/router. The restrictions only apply when using the HH3000 in the chain, when the HH3000 is removed from the chain you're home free.

YOU sure are a BRUTE for punishment. You could solve the bulk of your issues by getting your own Router and place the CODA in BRIDGE mode. The CODA, as a GATEWAY device,  is NOT designed for the kind of networking you have in place. IMO it will never be engineered for that kind of usage. IN BRIDGE mode the CODA using 36T2 is very functional.

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

ablatt
I plan to stick around

Please add me to the list of those wanting to try out 36T2, or whatever is the latest firmware, for the CODA 4582.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

The Race is on!

Bell to bring 1.5 gigabit speeds to Ontario this month Bell will also bring 1.5 Gigabit Internet service to the Atlantic provinces, Quebec and Manitoba.

Bell will increase speed to 1.5 down/1.5 up later this year.

The national telecom had previously said that it wants to bring 5Gbps speeds by next year and ultimately more than 40Gbps in the future.

This is insane, I really hope Rogers has a plan to compete with Bell in the near future because they're quiet about it on the other hand Bell is going public about it. 

refferrence: https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/08/02/bell-1-5-gigabit-speeds-august-ontario-canada/

The race is on and we really need to get that DOCSIS 3.1 upload asap, to at least catch up a little on Bell.

Mythen
I plan to stick around
Hi everyone. It's been some time since I have been on here. A lot has happened. I moved and Rogers could not match bells offer so I switched. I must say totally different experience. My work from home connection latency went from an average of 130 Ms to 61ms. Also I get 1 gig down and up. Will post some speed test results for you guys to see. I am not sure what Rogers has to do here in Atlantic Canada but improvements are necessary. Cause right now there is a big gap in service quality

Mythen

Makaveli99
I plan to stick around

Docsis 3.1 on the upload side is still not going to give you a fully Synchronous connection like what bell offers.

My money says at best you will see 1000/100 on the gigabit connection. There is a reason cable labs and created a full duplex spec to allow synchronous on cable. So the question is will rogers eventually go Full duplex.

And I seen westpoint talking about bell offering 2Gbps connections in the future I hope he knows that will require brand new nics in all your PC's to handle that speed aswell as an I/O system that can keep up.

mcsandy
I plan to stick around

@Makaveli99

From what Bell's CEO said in Q1 their goal is 5gbps by middle of 2019. Would you not still benefit if the modem supports 5 gigs across all 4 ports? Even if you cant push it all on one port there should be some performance increase? Also the price of 10 gig nic's have come down since Aquantia launched their more value oriented chips. Asus sells one for like $100.

Makaveli99
I plan to stick around

Other than maybe a local NAS or maybe an HTPC with a upgrade NIC what other devices are home users going to have that will benefit from it?

Your cell phone or any device on wifi won't

Any PC's that are still on HDD forget it they will be I/O limited

every device will need an SSD in it as the bare minimum.

Laptops i've yet see one with a Nic above 1Gbps and most people use them on wifi.

I get that more speed is always good but you also have to look at how practical it will be for the average home user with their equipment.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@mcsandy

Exactly the point, 5 gigs across all the 4 ports is till worth.

But getting back at the point.. what scares me a bit is Rogers is not going public about their plan to compete with Bell, that makes me think that they don't actually have one. I hope I am wrong!

Makaveli99
I plan to stick around

Provide me an example of what you would do at home with 5gigs across 4 ports?

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@JohnBeaudin 

Wow. And this is being offered to residential customers too. 

With this in mind, I'm sure Rogers is really eager to push OFDMA as soon as possible, but it seems that not a single ISP in the industry has launched it yet. It seems that there are some vendor issues that need to be cleared. Higher upload speeds are more important now than ever before today as our consumption increases. The higher the upload speed, the greater the QOS.

Once Rogers pushes out OFDMA, I'm really hoping they can maximize the amount of bandwidth they can squeeze out with the available RF spectrum. They should upgrade existing customers on current Ignite internet plan with higher upload speeds for free. It is a great of providing amazing customer service and it shows that the investments they are putting on the network are really worth it.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@Makaveli99

User1 is uploading large files to the cloud ( over 300 gb)

User2 is watching a stream in 4K

user3 is download a large game over 100 gb

user4 is running a server

All at the same time, so yeah I think faster speed is definitely better, and the max upload is only 30 mbs right now and that's a downside. On the other hand I agree that most families will be perfectly fine with Gigabit speed.

futurelgcy
I plan to stick around

@RogersSergio  Is my area qualified for the firmware?

mcsandy
I plan to stick around

It looks like the rogers coda modem does apparently have the capability to somewhat offer similar performance. Granted its not symmetrical.

• DOCSIS 3.1 data rate: Up to 5Gps with 2 OFDM 192MHz

downstream channels 

DOCSIS 3.1 data rate: Up to 700Mbps with OFDMA 96MHz upstream channels

Makaveli99
I plan to stick around

Those are the theoretical maximum of the modem.

In the real world you have noise to deal with and capacity issues and limited spectrum etc.

Rogers will most like be using different hardware by the time the network could support that.

Makaveli99
I plan to stick around

User4 is out you are not suppose to be running a server on a residential connection pretty sure its in the Rogers TOS. 🙂

The rest is fine on the current offering minus user1 that is the biggest issue right now poor uploads.

mcsandy
I plan to stick around

@Makaveli99

That is true but the small "business" packages are practically the same as residential in terms of speed other than a slightly bumped up 50 mbps upload. So people on small business packages that work from home can apply to that hypothetical situation.

TFM_Jeff
I plan to stick around

Two hours ago I got updated to 2.0.10.36T4 (which unless I'm blind I don't see in the list), and just now I got another update which returned me to 2.0.10.34T6. What gives?

AOD999
I plan to stick around
@TFM_Jeff @RogersSergio Same thing here.

DavidPC
I plan to stick around
Same firmware flash and then rollback ~2 hrs later over here, Richmond Hill.