Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

mozerd
I plan to stick around

@cflat wrote:

Why are you blocking unroutable IP blocks? those are reserved by the IANA. outbound IP blacklisting seems like a cat and mouse game that is better solved with a good dns resolver.

The following Wiki article explains why specifically:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogon_filtering

The Firewall filter system I deploy by subscription for my clients world wide  [I have clients in 20 countries] operates at wire speed and is far more effective than any other system in keeping the bad guys from penetrating clients Internet space and their local Networks --- based on feedback I have received over the past 3 months.  Check out my website by looking at my sig.

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

cflat
I plan to stick around

@mozerd wrote:

The following Wiki article explains why specifically:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogon_filtering

yea, for inbound layer 2/3 fw rules you might include those 13 ipv4 cidr blocks. I wouldn't block them for outgoing though - for exactly the reason you experience. 

As @DRayEdge indicated, looks like Software Version 2.0.10.35T1 is loading on the CODA-4582s.  Just saw my 4582 update at 12:20 am.  I'm assuming that this is only for Trial Modems at the present time.  Still no release notes posted. 

TFM_Jeff
I plan to stick around

Just got updated to 35T1.

RogersSergio
Product Manager
Product Manager

Hi All,

I want to start off by apologizing for not being as active as I probably should be.

I have updated the release notes with the most notable update being an SDK update which further improves packet handling of the device.

I also want to take this opportunity to let everyone know that there is a new version on it's way that looks to fix the OFDM issues we have been experiencing during the D3.1 rollout.

Some customers with the CODA may have been impacted recently and I want to let everyone know we are actively working to get that fixed ASAP.

RogersSergio

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Thanks for the update Sergio, feels good to see you back.

I got updated with the firmware looking forward to test it.

ablatt
I plan to stick around

Sergio, production firmware is very out-of-date compared to trial firmware on the CODA and CGN3x series of modems.  Is there any plan to roll out new production firmware soon?

mcsandy
I plan to stick around

@ablatt

I'm seeing 2.0.10.34T6 (April 13, 2018) as the current production firmware on my other none beta account. What do you currently have on yours?

@ablatt

So the Coda devices shouldn't be too far off... they are currently set to 2.0.10.34T6 as the production firmware, and we are starting to roll out 2.0.10.35T1 (in fact I was delayed in rolling it out to the trial devices). 

As for the CGN3x devices... these fall into 2 buckets the CGN3ROG... and all the others.

The CGN3ROG's are on 4.2.4.11 and we are working on a new code but have not yet pushed it out to anyone... a few questions were brought up during testing that we need to confirm before pushing it out.

The other devices are where there is the greatest gap between test and production firmware depending on which model we are talking about.

We are working on fixing that but its taking some time to get that firmware rollout back on track

Regards,

RogersSergio

mcsandy
I plan to stick around

@RogersSergio

Do you have any new information for us about the upstream for docsis 3.1?

Thanks

@mcsandy

Not sure how much has been shared in the past but I don't have the same involvement on the network side as Dave did.

From a device perspective we will need to make a number of upgrades to the device specifically the Intel SDK. I know we have seen some test builds that have been tested and we are making progress but not likely to see any significant updates for another month or two.

Cheers,

Sergio

mcsandy
I plan to stick around

@RogersSergio

Thanks. Noticing improved latency and streams seem to be more stable now since the firmware update. The auto quality function on twitch seems to lock into the source quality quicker now and doesnt drop down to 360p.

deus
I plan to stick around

@RogersSergio

You haven't mentioned any concern about the modem's DLNA media server, specifically on the issue of dropped devices in the course of normal use. What gives ? I still have to reboot  occasionally  to regain a connection. Rebooting the CODA must also restart the DLNA service. Have you asked the manufacturer about it ?

@deus

I have not forgot nor have i stopped pushing for the vendor to investigate this issue further. The problem is that it has been prioritized lower than other deliverables.

In a perfect world we would have been able to deliver a resolution by now but unfortunately the fact that we are yet to replicate and the uncovering of other issues like the OFDM issue we have not made the progress I would have liked.

I have once again raised this item to the vendor and will continue to push.

Sorry for not having better news

RogersSergio

mcsandy
I plan to stick around

@RogersSergio

Is the OFDM causing the issues with inconsistent speeds? Also was wondering why is only one OFDM channel being used? At the current package speed caps is it just not needed?

Thanks

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

Ive gotten the new update, 35t1, seem to be much better SO FAR.

I havnt done any extreme testing, it was only flashed to me today, and it once again inturrupted important work I was doing, not too mention when the modem came back up on its own, I had LAN but not Internet and had to do a Manual reboot by unplugging the CODA to get my service back up.

but I have run a quick speed test, and Im FINALLY getting SOMTHING close to the service Im paying for, atleast not maxing out around 300Mbps as you can see by the last, oldest test below, but now im getting closer too 700, even tho Im on Gigabit and I KNOW my computer is capable of 1GBps not just 1Gbps. Ive done some EXTREME network card and processor testing in the last month to get this info, to completely proclude my computer as being any part of the cause of the low speeds.

Speed Test.jpg

As you can see, I used to max out at next too nothing on speed tests, but now im finally getting the service somewhat.... Ill need to run a bunch of testing this week and next before I know if the DHCP reservations or any others issues have been addressed fully in this build, but im guessing not.

@RogersSergio whats the deal here, I know you dont have as much activity on here or with the network side of things, but can you atleast give us some kind of time line for when these modems will be actually WORKING as advertised almost 2 YEARS AGO? Also, can you give some kind of explanation as to why 

@WestPoint@RogersSergio is out on vacation for the next two weeks.  

I suspect that the answer to your question is that the modem OFDM processing isn't doing exactly what it needs to do, at least not in all usage cases seen on the network.  This might be a case of "it looks good in the lab"  but real world performance is less than stellar due to issues such as less than ideal cabling in use, and noise ingress from cell phone systems and customer systems.  There is an update on the not too distant horizon which will include a new Intel Software Development Kit (SDK).  Hopefully that will improve the OFDM performance and bring about DOCSIS 3.1 upstream as well.  I haven't heard any dates for this to happen.  

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@Datalink

Last I heard the target dates were initially in 2017 then it got pushed to Q1 2018 and now I think that 2018 seems pretty unlikely and we might wait as far as 2019 before they begin the rollout.

blues_clues
I plan to stick around

@WestPoint wrote:

but I have run a quick speed test, and Im FINALLY getting SOMTHING close to the service Im paying for, atleast not maxing out around 300Mbps as you can see by the last, oldest test below, but now im getting closer too 700, even tho Im on Gigabit and I KNOW my computer is capable of 1GBps not just 1Gbps. Ive done some EXTREME network card and processor testing in the last month to get this info, to completely proclude my computer as being any part of the cause of the low speeds.

@RogersSergio whats the deal here, I know you dont have as much activity on here or with the network side of things, but can you atleast give us some kind of time line for when these modems will be actually WORKING as advertised almost 2 YEARS AGO? Also, can you give some kind of explanation as to why 

You have to remember that the service is advertised as, "up to 1Gbps down and 30Mbps up".  And these are speeds to Roger's infrastructure.  Once the packet leaves their network, it's best effort to whatever host you are connecting.  Instead of benchmarking with a single host, use multiple hosts and add the results to give you an indication of bandwidth, rather than speed available.  IMHO if you have only 1 host, the Gigabit service is not worth it.  I have since dropped down to 500u mainly because I think the extra $10 is not worth it. This is a shared infrastructure technology after all.   Hopefully, once they roll out the newer firmware that manages the upload bandwidth better, they can re-offer the, "up to 50Mbps up", package, or even more.

TFM_Jeff
I plan to stick around

I wish I knew what was causing this, but since getting the CODA I've had weeks where I get disconnected once a night, and there's been weeks where everything SEEMS to run fine. Some updates are worse than others. Since 35T1 I've had nightly disconnects (once a night, usually around 8PM - 10PM) and the WiFi has been quite terrible.

I play Rainbow Six: Siege on PS4. They added a HUD feature awhile ago that shows connection icons if/when things degrade. Again, since 35T1 I get the unstable connection icon (user-end packet issue) throughout each game. This wasn't the case with the past few SW versions. Occassionally, yes, but not constant. It's frustrating to say the least.

@TFM_Jeff have you done a modem reboot since the 35T1 loading.  I've found that another reboot will normally result in the modem behaving as it should.

Edit:  Can you also log into your modem, navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab, copy the signal table, from the top of the downstream section, all of the way to the bottom of the upstream section.  Paste that into a post, just to see what your signal levels look like.  The copy and paste will paste in the text contents of the table.  Ignore the data that sits above the downstream section as it refers to your modem and shouldn't be posted in an open forum.