FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

If I had to guess, your modem possibly was in the trial program before you got it when maybe someone did a modem swap and didn’t tell either @RogersDave or @RogersSergio about their swap and when you are enrolled into the trial program they put your modems MAC address into the auto firmware exclusion list so it doesn’t revert trial firmware back to production firmware.
I Plan to Stick Around

" 2.0.10.33T11 was first pushed to my modem (last night) and has substantially improved my internet reliability."

I agree with the assessment. The code gives the strongest up and down rates I've seen on this modem, e.g., d/l on a 150 plan went from 21.30 MBs to solid 21.55. Not huge but significant.

I Plan to Stick Around

I would like to repeat my request for read-only SNMP access to be made available to the modems, exactly so we can track performance in an objective manner over time and updates.

Those of us with the tools to access the SNMP data could make great use of the metrics when demonstrating performance changes across updates, as well as seasonal/daily trends.

It's well known that ADSL is greatly affected by external propagation factors. While this may be much less the case with cable, it's still worth watching for "blips" caused by external factors.

Really, how hard is it to enable?

I Plan to Stick Around

+1 for snmp.

As a stop gap, I've just up a cronjob that pulls the apis from the console and checks for deltas. Deltas or error messages are logged to a slack channel which pages me when it becomes too noisy. (more valuable when I'm traveling and the wife and kids are having internet problems)

I've discovered many anomalies with this approach. For example, prior to my firmware update, I would see timedrift on the modem. The result was that some of the 'logs' would be scrubbed/eaten. More specifically, the logs you see in the console are less than the actual logs! Only because I was picking the logs up every minute could I see when the timedrift re-snapped and the logs got pruned. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cflat when you have time, can you provide examples of the timedrift and log issues to @RogersSergio.  Sounds to me like a sync problem which might be specific to your external cable.  But, I wouldn't have expected a large timedrift or an impact on the logs.  Can you also include your modem type with the data.  Thanks in advance. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I'll have to go back. It's usually related to one of the following where I would see a burst of errors, but only one (or none) logged. I've mostly ignored these situations now, but its usually one of these:

{
    "time": "2018-03-05T21:03:59.000Z",
    "type": "90000000",
    "priority": "warning",
    "event": "MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=XXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;"
}
{
    "time": "2018-03-05T00:34:22.000Z",
    "type": "68010300",
    "priority": "error",
    "event": "DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=XXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;"
}
{
    "time": "2018-03-04T16:54:25.000Z",
    "type": "82000200",
    "priority": "critical",
    "event": "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;"
}

/cc @RogersSergio

I Plan to Stick Around

Actually, here's one that showed up as one T3 error, but as you can see there are multiple and a signal re-negotiation in the middle:

[
    {
        "time": "2018-03-02T23:12:27.000Z",
        "type": "82000200",
        "priority": "critical",
        "event": "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;"
    },
    {
        "time": "2018-03-03T00:34:22.000Z",
        "type": "68010300",
        "priority": "error",
        "event": "DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=XXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;"
    }
]
{"frequency":"23700000","signalStrength":"31.000","bandwidth":"6400000","channelId":"5"} {"frequency":"38595805","signalStrength":"33.000","bandwidth":"3200000","channelId":"6"} {"frequency":"30596000","signalStrength":"30.750","bandwidth":"6400000","channelId":"4"} { "time": "2018-03-03T01:09:59.000Z", "type": "82000200", "priority": "critical", "event": "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;" } { "time": "2018-03-03T02:34:37.000Z", "type": "82000200", "priority": "critical", "event": "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;" }

/cc @RogersSergio

Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

@cflat

To answer your question about why you didn't receive the newer code sooner/on boot.

We have rolled out two codes previous to the 33T11 code (we had 33T3 and 33T03) both of which we discovered WiFi issues once they were deployed. As a result Rogers opted not to force an upgrade until we were confident that this issue had been resolved. By leaving the 28T2 code as the upgrade on boot option it allowed any customer impacted by the Wifi issue (a number of upgrades were completed) to factory reset which then would result in a downgrade to the known "good" (yes I know this is a loaded word... that is why i have quotes around it Smiley Happy ) firmware.

As for rolling out the latest code... we also took a conservative approach to this where we stagger how many upgrades are completed over a period of time. I can confirm we have wrapped up the rollouts and things are looking good... we are finalizing the update to have 33T11 be the new upgrade on boot firmware... that should be in place next week.

It's always a difficult balance between pushing out fixes and potentially introducing a new issue that was not captured during testing. That's one of the reasons for setting up the Firmware Trials, to provide those who are eager to get their hands on the latest code (with the understanding that there may be issues). That said if your device is still on 33T11 you will be upgraded to our latest test code soon.

I look forward to your participation in the trial and we will do our best to address issues raised

RogersSergio

Product Manager
Product Manager

It's been a week and I wanted to reach out to see how things have been going with customers running the new 4.5.8.38T5 code on AC devices?

Anyone have any feedback... ideally it's good but I also want the bad

Thanks,

RogersSergio

I Plan to Stick Around

too bad you can't detect those that have the modem in bridgemode (like myself) since we wouldn't be impacted by any wifi changes Smiley Wink