Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

I just finished pushing the newest code 2.0.10.33T2 to the participants that reported reboots. Hitron reported to me that they are still investigating the cause of these reboots and may provide me with a subsequent revision of the code later this week.

I'll be waiting for feedback on this code from both the community here and Hitron before I deploy it further.

--Dave

Nadernt
I plan to stick around

Just got the .33T2 firmware. I'll indicate if I have any issues with it.

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

I just got it as well thanks @RogersDave

Software Version2.0.10.33T2

The DOCSIS event logs is shown here
No. 	Time 	Type 	Priority 	Event
1	11/01/2017 12:57:15	69010100	notice	SW Download INIT - Via NMS
2	11/01/2017 12:59:20	90000000	warning	MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
3	11/01/2017 13:00:02	69010900	error	Disruption during SW download - Power Failure
4	11/01/2017 13:00:02	69010100	notice	SW Download INIT - Via NMS
5	11/01/2017 13:00:37	69011100	notice	SW download Successful - Via NMS
6	11/01/2017 13:03:38	90000000	warning	MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
7	11/01/2017 13:06:12	69010100	notice	SW Download INIT - Via NMS
8	11/01/2017 13:07:11	69011100	notice	SW download Successful - Via NMS
9	11/01/2017 13:08:58	90000000	warning	MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Mythen
I plan to stick around
I have also received .33T2. I think I got it twice lol

Will report back after I have it for a bit

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

@Triple_Helix wrote:

I just got it as well thanks @RogersDave

Software Version2.0.10.33T2

The DOCSIS event logs is shown here
No. 	Time 	Type 	Priority 	Event
1	11/01/2017 12:57:15	69010100	notice	SW Download INIT - Via NMS
2	11/01/2017 12:59:20	90000000	warning	MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
3	11/01/2017 13:00:02	69010900	error	Disruption during SW download - Power Failure
4	11/01/2017 13:00:02	69010100	notice	SW Download INIT - Via NMS
5	11/01/2017 13:00:37	69011100	notice	SW download Successful - Via NMS
6	11/01/2017 13:03:38	90000000	warning	MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
7	11/01/2017 13:06:12	69010100	notice	SW Download INIT - Via NMS
8	11/01/2017 13:07:11	69011100	notice	SW download Successful - Via NMS
9	11/01/2017 13:08:58	90000000	warning	MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Well I just got another random reboot with the new firmware. Smiley Embarassed

Hardware Version	2A
Software Version	2.0.10.33T2

LAN Up Time	000 days 00h:09m:42s

WAN Up Time 	000 days 00h:07m:44s

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave

Random reboot again, on .33T2

will give you updates if it's an isolated incident or if it keep happening.

georgic
I plan to stick around

Inline image

pacerdjl
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave  CODA-4582 has been on 2.0.10.33T2 for about 16 hours now. Did have one sudden modem reboot about 11hours ago. Up and down speeds are consistently good, latency not too bad. Waiting to see if there are further reboots today.

mES19
I plan to stick around

As a daytrader these reboots are very frustrating and can be costly.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mES19, personal opinion, if you're not running a gigabit plan, and even if you were, my advice would be to step down to the CGN3ACSMR for any plan less than the gig plan, or down to the CGNM-3552 for a gig plan.  Last thing you need is to be in a trade and then, the modem suddenly decides to reboot.  If you have a router running with a continuous fail-over internet feed, then ok, its manageable but certainly not desirable.  In your situation, typically you don't want, nor can you afford to have money on the line with modem issues afoot. 

Whenever the reboot cause is sorted out, you could return to the CODA-4582. 

Edit:  The drawback to changing to the CGN3ACSMR or CGNM-3552 is the possibility of latency issues due to the type of protocol used in the platform data feed.  You would have to monitor the incoming feed and orders with wireshark to determine exactly what protocol is used.  If its TCP/IP, and possibly UDP, you could run into latency spikes with the data feed and orders.  If you were running an HFT platform, that would definitely be a concern.  If you were running minute charts or longer, and trading off of those charts, this isn't such a large issue and you might not notice any large latency spikes which can run up into the 200 to 300 ms range.  If you were scalping with sub-minute charts, then this starts to become more important, just depends on how far down, in terms of time scales you might go with your charts.  Trading off of tick charts would be a definite problem. 

@mES19 wrote:

As a daytrader these reboots are very frustrating and can be costly.

@mES19, are you experiencing the reboots on CODA firmware 2.0.10.33? If so, you can always roll back to the current production firmware (2.0.10.28T2) by performing a factory reset. Remember that the firmware trial program is for users willing to try out new features, latest enhancements and corrections. This software is released to the community in parallel of our internal testing and it happens that a firmware is worst than the previous.

I am always happy to change the version of software on your modem (temporary roll-back) if a specific version is causing too many issues to you. Just let me know.

--Dave

arnym21
I plan to stick around

So far no reboots from the get go double install. This hints, the reboots are linked to certain modem activities. I suggest trial participants to post more detail report about modem setup and activities at reboot. Did you use it in wireless or wired mode, what are your QoS, Firewall and other modem settings, did it happen when you downloaded a torrent, watched a high resolution YouTube movie stream, browsed Ebay, did several things in parallel - what things? Or it happen, when the connected equipment was in sleep mode and did nothing? A little effort on your side rather than saying "Rogers modems are bad" can go a long way. Just remember, as Dave said you volunteered for this trial, so obviously were prepared to contribute a little more than complaints.

I also assume Rogers Trial Team has access to a lot more detail modem log compare to user WebUI log version, and possibly your entire ongoing traffic copy for analysis of modem workload causing failures? May be Dave can clarify that as part of the mandatory trial conditions disclosure? Smiley Happy From security standpoint, also remember every time you hook your PC ethernet port directly to the modem in Bridge mode, you expose that PC to all kind of attacks directly from the web, so use a good router and other gear, and scan your PC with A/V each time you changed hardware setup.

Another important thing I leaned - just do factory reset and forget about the FW that causes you grief until next update - its still beta, issues are expected. I noted a more responsive WebUI and 1st page load in this FW version compare to 28T2. Currently running the modem in wired mode only with no reboots. Didn't change default settings much as using other LAN protection gear behind the modem.

mES19
I plan to stick around

@DatalinkI typically trade on the 30 second or 1 minute charts I am looking to be in and out in under a minute so the latency on the 4582 is important for me. I am also on the 1 gig plan.

mES19
I plan to stick around

Thanks Dave! Is the T2 an improvement on the .33 firmware? At this point it can't be worse for me. A tech was out yesterday and found noise at one frequency he could not fix so a senior tech is coming tomorrow. Again probably not related to firmware but I did not have reboot issues until .33.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mES19 I would say that the best plan for now would be to run a factory reset as Dave indicated in order to return the modem to the current production firmware version which I believe is 2.0.10.28T2.  The 4582 itself has much better performance in terms of any latency through the modem compared to the previous CGN3xxxx series or CGNM-3552 modems.  I would say that the latency which can be seen in the other modems doesn't exist in this modem, so, for trading sub-minute or scalping, the 4582 is what you want to be using. 

To run the factory reset, you can either hold the recessed reset button down (at the back of the modem) for 30 seconds and release it, or, use the modem's ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET ..... Factory Reset function.  

In either case the reset will initiate the firmware check and production firmware load followed by a reboot back into Gateway mode. 

hoopdogg
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave, unfortunately I am still having random reboots also with 33T2.  250/25 plan, gateway mode, main users on wired connections.

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave Thanks for the upgrade to 33t2 and the info about 28t2 it was very helpful in understanding the situation.

As for the new 33t2, im still experiencing restarts, most recent was 17hrs ago, according to the LAN Up Timer, the DOCSIS log is always screwy tho and never matches up with the Up Time, and not sure even if thats when you flashed it, as every time it reboots I get the SM Download notice, even if no firmware change.....

Fell free to use my modem for your testing, i think ive given you that permission in a PM aswell, Id like to do all I can to help solve these issues and get everyone stable

If theres anything I can do and post for you, let me know as well.

Thanks @RogersDave for all your hard work for everyone.

arnym21
I plan to stick around

I wonder if FW is actually re-downloaded at reboot, if its caused by the trial FW periodically querying Modem Config push server?

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

@arnym21 I dont think so, Ive gone thru my DOCSIS log with a fine tooth comb now, and abit of time zone fiddling, and i think I matches up with the SW Download yesterday that would have been @RogersDave sending me 33T2. 

I dont think the modem Quiries the Config server unless a factory reset it done or a mayjor issue causing it to think it should re-download the firmware, like a power surge or changing the Modem Config files yourself, which is a big no-no and i think you can be not only charged for that as a breach of the service agreement but also be banned from service in the future.

So as to ammened my restart comment previous, it appears ive had a non-stop up time since getting 33T2 flashed, but I have not tried putting any heavy load on the network such as gaming or streaming just yet, and I have had a "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=******;CMTS-MAC=******;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;" in my Docsis log since the flash. But only 1 so far, I was getting a few a day, so we'll see what happens today and tomorrow.

Ill keep an eye on it and my logs, and try to post a few more times over the next 48hrs and help out with any info I can...

For those wondering my settings;

Gateway Mode
IPv4 & IPv6 running fine
I do have a 16 port hub, but only a hub, not a router, the CODA is running the DCHP

Firewalls are both on

75% on my devices are hard-wired Cat6e, rest are wifi 2.4gz, 5.0 disabled

My main desktop is a mini-desktop, Acer, wired directly into Port 1 on the CODA, Cat6e, 1.0Gbps

Other devices are multiple and plently, as I have 3 desktops, 2 laptops, 3 cell phones, multiple smart home hubs from multiple maunfactures for my outlets, switches and lights, a VOIP phone and VOIP life alert system for a senior citizen, and my Xbox One S. These are all generaly connected most of the day, the computers, xbox, and smart home hubs by Cat 6 thru the 16-port hub, and the laptops and others thru wifi

I also run a home business and my main desktop is generally running at full tilt, with a VPN for my laptops when they leave the property, Teamviewer services, Quickbooks and other server-accessing programs, along with my smart home, I can easily use over 200GB of download data in a day across all devices.

I hope the details above are helpfull to someone, specially @RogersDave, it might help him to graps the complexity of my network setup and usage and might help to explain things, never know... Im just hoping these restarts end, lol, every time it happens I almost always have to physically shut off my hub and all the devices connected to it, and reboot my whole home so the CODA will give out the IPs accoring to my DCHP reservations, if not, they get assigned randomly for some reason and I loose my printer and stuff until I restart everything with a full shutdown and unplug of everything and plug in one at a time, which neddless to say, is a real pain, lol

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@RogersDave

On .33T2 with a LAN up time of 1 day and 4 hours. No reboots as of yet and no sign of decrease in performance. 

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave

So far I am at the third reboot since .33T2, just got the the third one a few minutes ago.

I'd say no difference for me with .33 for now.