Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave @Datalink I just did a speed test this morning and this is the best results I have ever seen so far.  I am still not sure why I can't seem to get close to 50 Mbps on the upload speeds.

speed test 0616 am dec 30.jpg

mES19
I plan to stick around

@RogersDaveTested WIFI on a Nexus 6 and LG G5 and disconnects have been corrected but 5GHZ AC connections are EXTREMELY slow still getting faster uploads than downloads. Also had an issued yesterday where my wired connection slowed to under 10 when tested but a reboot solved that. No .19 here yet.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor
@mES19

Please see if your 2.4 Ghz band is active and if so, turn it off, save the settings and then power cycle the modem. This band seems to have issues even with the .19 firmware.

On my iPad Air 2 I can get about 300 Mbps/20 Mbps .

There was a lot of discussion in this forums over the last 24 hours regarding the impact of 2.4 GHz WiFi on the speeds. This is a known issue on some modems and this is why a week ago in my troubleshooting steps, disabling 2.4 GHz WiFi and/or moving external routers 6 feet away from the modem was part of the list.

For affected modems (which we can generally identify from the network), firmware 2.0.10.19 provides a great improvement in most cases. Now I see that @Alex4161 has that firmware loaded but is still experiencing degraded speeds with 2.4 GHz WiFi enabled and we will therefore investigate further.

Ultimately, we still have a majority of customers using this device that are seeing a vast improvement in speed, jitter and latency. When DOCSIS 3.1 gets deployed, this will get even better. We still have other enhancement to the firmware planned for January (version 2.0.10.20) that should bring improvements to WiFi speeds amongst other fixes.

Dave

@RogersDave would it still be worth it to switch to this new modem even tho docs 3.1 is not avail in my area will I still see improvements over the acsmr ?

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor
@RogersDave

I just wanted to let you know that there are no other router/modems within 6 feet of the Rogers modem as the CODA modem is the only device I am using.

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@lethalsniper 

There's no doubt about it that you'll see an improvement on the CODA-4582. Ever since switching to the modem games have felt much more responsive and browsing feel alot more snappier. 

@eddiethefunnyon wrote:

@lethalsniper 

There's no doubt about it that you'll see an improvement on the CODA-4582. Ever since switching to the modem games have felt much more responsive and browsing feel alot more snappier. 

Which plan are you on?

The 4582 has worked great for me (bridged, on the 250 plan, in a D3.0 area), but the high rates of complaints around here, especially from people on the gigabit plan (but that shouldn't affect anything - maybe there are just more gigabit people with the 4582 because Rogers sent out emails telling people to upgrade), make me just a teeny little bit nervous about recommending the 4582 at this point. 

14N
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave wrote:

There was a lot of discussion in this forums over the last 24 hours regarding the impact of 2.4 GHz WiFi on the speeds. This is a known issue on some modems and this is why a week ago in my troubleshooting steps, disabling 2.4 GHz WiFi and/or moving external routers 6 feet away from the modem was part of the list.

For affected modems (which we can generally identify from the network), firmware 2.0.10.19 provides a great improvement in most cases. Now I see that @Alex4161 has that firmware loaded but is still experiencing degraded speeds with 2.4 GHz WiFi enabled and we will therefore investigate further.

Ultimately, we still have a majority of customers using this device that are seeing a vast improvement in speed, jitter and latency. When DOCSIS 3.1 gets deployed, this will get even better. We still have other enhancement to the firmware planned for January (version 2.0.10.20) that should bring improvements to WiFi speeds amongst other fixes.

Dave

@RogersDave

If some modems are affected what may be the cause because we have the same hardware, hardware version and firmware version? So exchanging the modem might fix the issue/s if we get a different batch

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@VivienM wrote:

@eddiethefunnyon wrote:

@lethalsniper 

Which plan are you on?

The 4582 has worked great for me (bridged, on the 250 plan, in a D3.0 area), but the high rates of complaints around here, especially from people on the gigabit plan (but that shouldn't affect anything - maybe there are just more gigabit people with the 4582 because Rogers sent out emails telling people to upgrade), make me just a teeny little bit nervous about recommending the 4582 at this point. 

I'm on the 100u plan, but apparently my modem is affected by some interference issue. Like I said however, games are much more responsive and browsing is snappier compared to the CGN3ACSMR. Every now and then however, I would have sudden increases in ping, which is also coupled with an increase in packet loss. Based on what I'm seeing on the fourms and what you have said I would also be a bit nervous reccomending the 4582 for now. 

JohnyR
I plan to stick around

Everything was working fine up until 10:40am. I did a speedtest around 830 this morning, and yeilded results with 800/30. Now, I'm getting latency with packet loss and speeds dropped to 60/6. What has changed @RogersDave ? The gap was me unplugging the modem and plugging it back in.

http://start.speedtest.net/result/5924097953

Edit @ 11:44am: Speeds are back to ~700/30. Latency seems to have stabilized and PL has decreased.

Just to add to @Alex4161's comment, my router was shut down while I was resetting the CODA-4582, so the only 2.4 Ghz wifi signal present was from the modem itself.  Disable that and the slow web page refresh issue was resolved.  At the time I was connected to port 3 on the modem. 

mES19
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave.19 was pushed to me this morning and for now at least the 5G speed has tripled so far better than the other FW.

gbssengo
I plan to stick around

Hi @RogersDave, is it possible to get the trial firmware as well? I just got my modem today and it's still on .13. Was wondering if there's any way to get this up to a newer firmware.

Max24
I plan to stick around

I've been having the same exact issue as JohnyR Post#1752 radomnly throughout the day my ping will increase gradually from 30ms up to 1000ms and experience packet loss. Requiring me to restart my modem which resolves the issue although it does sometimes return for about a few minutes again. I've contacted chat support while this issue is occuring and they can indeed see the issue on their end as well: high ping & packetloss.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor
Is there any other devices or services that are using cable? In the past when I used to have DSL service, my alarm system would tap into the phone line and call out every so often. During this time, my Internet connection would go haywire and I would see the same symptoms you describe.

bonanza
I plan to stick around
Surprisingly this seem to work too. After running a wired test with all wireless bands disabled, I got 450/30 but when I re-enable the bands, I get 30/10. Something is definitely up

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor
@bonanza

You should be able to keep the 5Ghz on as the 2.4 Ghz is what seems to be causing the problem.

Rahtol
I've been here awhile

@RogersDave wrote:

@jjunge wrote:

@RogersDave I've done a factory reset on the CODA and the SPA112 came online. However any time I add DHCP reservations it goes offline again. Rogers gateways have never handled DHCP reservations well but hoping it works better in future firmware versions.

When you say your device is going offline, is it the Ethernet port down or it doesn't have connectivity?

Hi RogersDave

@I've had similar issues to @jjunge.  Less than 2 weeks ago I switched from Teksavvy 100/10 to Rogers and this has been a nightmare.  I also had several DHCP reservations set-up and my modem would "lock up" (Internet connectivity stops - everything else seems fine) every 24 hours or less.   A reboot was required to fix it.  I worked with Support who suggested getting a new modem - as a first step.  The new modem was even worse.  I was getting many of the performance issues outlined here.  I was Chating with another support person who informed me that my devices were only connecting at 100 mbps.  Several reboots later my wired connections were suddenly/mysteriously 1 gbps.  Due to the reboots, my wireless networks appeared to be disabled in the console and yet they were still active. A further Chat session advised me to get yet another modem.  

This time, with third modem, in 4 days, I suspected perhaps the custom configs (DNS, DHCP, DHCP, etc) were killing it so I went out and got a ASUS RT-AC5300 (to be able to keep up with the speed) and so far (about 7 days) everything is fine.  I am getting decent downloads and no more lock-ups.   The only thing is I have a double-NAT and I can't seem to turn off the 2.4 gig wifi.

I am still on v14  and from what I have read so far, it seems like maybe v18 or v19 don't solve all of the possible speed problems.  I set my own router up as a DMZ host but I have seen people talk about Bridge mode on here.  Since it seems to be working, I am happy to stay on that for now until Rogers figures out the firmware issues.  How can I set my cable modem in Bridge mode however?

Thanks

@Rahtol wrote:

@RogersDave wrote:

@jjunge wrote:

@RogersDave I've done a factory reset on the CODA and the SPA112 came online. However any time I add DHCP reservations it goes offline again. Rogers gateways have never handled DHCP reservations well but hoping it works better in future firmware versions.

When you say your device is going offline, is it the Ethernet port down or it doesn't have connectivity?

Hi RogersDave

@I've had similar issues to @jjunge.  Less than 2 weeks ago I switched from Teksavvy 100/10 to Rogers and this has been a nightmare.  I also had several DHCP reservations set-up and my modem would "lock up" (Internet connectivity stops - everything else seems fine) every 24 hours or less.   A reboot was required to fix it.  I worked with Support who suggested getting a new modem - as a first step.  The new modem was even worse.  I was getting many of the performance issues outlined here.  I was Chating with another support person who informed me that my devices were only connecting at 100 mbps.  Several reboots later my wired connections were suddenly/mysteriously 1 gbps.  Due to the reboots, my wireless networks appeared to be disabled in the console and yet they were still active. A further Chat session advised me to get yet another modem.  

This time, with third modem, in 4 days, I suspected perhaps the custom configs (DNS, DHCP, DHCP, etc) were killing it so I went out and got a ASUS RT-AC5300 (to be able to keep up with the speed) and so far (about 7 days) everything is fine.  I am getting decent downloads and no more lock-ups.   The only thing is I have a double-NAT and I can't seem to turn off the 2.4 gig wifi.

I am still on v14  and from what I have read so far, it seems like maybe v18 or v19 don't solve all of the possible speed problems.  I set my own router up as a DMZ host but I have seen people talk about Bridge mode on here.  Since it seems to be working, I am happy to stay on that for now until Rogers figures out the firmware issues.  How can I set my cable modem in Bridge mode however?

Thanks

To get into bridge mode, just go into the web interface for the gateway, go to 'Basic' and then turn off 'Residential Gateway Function'.

I don't know what router you were running with Teksavvy, but honestly... gateway mode is not worth spending a lot of time trying to get to work. I wouldn't even let my parents use a Rogers gateway in gateway mode... so... that should tell you something. 

After you disable the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION .... Residential Gateway Function, the modem will reboot into Bridge mode.  At the same time you should reboot the router so that it picks up it the correct IP address, which will also affect the IP addresses of devices connected to the router.  You will probably have to restart those devices as well.  

With the router up and running, you can access the modem thru the router by using 192.168.100.1 to navigate to the modem's login page.  You can return to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION page to enable the Residential Gateway Function if necessary and the modem will reboot back into Gateway mode with its previous settings intact.