cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

 

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

 

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

 

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,906 REPLIES 4,906

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Hybrid_Noodle
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDaveIt is always about the deductive reasoning 🙂

 

Will give my store a call later this morning to find out if they have any and if all goes well I should be up on the new modem this afternoon.

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Hybrid_Noodle
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDaveCan you give vague information on what the open items currently are(Beyond the IPv6 part)? I am going to assume that they will not be anything big if you are releasing the modems out into the wild.

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial


@Hybrid_Noodle wrote:

@RogersDaveCan you give vague information on what the open items currently are(Beyond the IPv6 part)? I am going to assume that they will not be anything big if you are releasing the modems out into the wild.


We have a long list of issues but most of them are not customer facing and are impacting Internal Rogers tools.

 

For customer facing issues, these are the main items:

  • Some issues in the EasyConnect flow and possibly problem when setting up WiFi with special characters (it works fine in the GUI after the EasyConnect flow)

  • Disabling/Enabling 2.4 GHz takes a long time

  • List of connected devices not populated with all devices on the network (missing devices or listed as unknown)

  • IPv6 DNS settings missing from GUI

  • IPv6 currently disabled

We are also working on further improvements to the WiFi on this device.

 

Dave

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Yes I'm using the Xbox one and it does use IPv6 and IPv4

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

In that case you will have to make a decision.  If you use the modem as your router, you will run into Restricted NAT issues if you swap to the new modem.  If you use your own router, and that works fine, then you would miss the IPV6 capability if you swap to the new modem.  The real question is whether or not that would actually make any difference to your gaming?  So, drop in latency versus losing IPV6 and possible Restricted NAT, depending on your network configuration.  



Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

I have tested an XBOX One with the CODA-4582 and I was getting NAT Open (but I had IPv6 enabled during that phase of testing). The NAT should be open provided that UPNP performs correctly the port mapping.

 

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Jeffj
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDave

Dang i JUSt swapped my modem yesterday to see if it would help with my issues, I also applied for the test firmware as the latency spikes are KILLING me when gaming and i keep getting slotted into "poor connection" groups on servers.

 

Would rogers be willing to swap me again with the new CODA-4582 gateway, and can you verify that it is able to be attached to the 250u account? I tried to get the previous gigabit ready gateway and the rogers backend wouldnt allow the rep to attach it to my account because i was a 250u sub.

 

Can you also verify i should be asking for the CODA-4582 or have you rebranded it internally to a different modle name?  I will gladly give up IPV6 for now and go back to port forwarding for my NAT on Xbox live ifi t means i can actually have it stable for gaming. 

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

JohnBeaudin
I'm a Senior Contributor

@RogersDave

 

Excellent news, I will check with my store to see if they have any available.

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Jeffj
I Plan to Stick Around

Best of luck, My store does not have any or an ETA. However Support has placed a work order in the system to have me swapped to the new modem, support stated it would make things faster in store once they get stock, if that means anything. 

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Double_K
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Double_K
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersDave wrote:

@VivienM wrote:
I'm tempted to go pick one up, but one question: when you say IPv6 is not enabled, is that only in gateway mode? Or is there also no IPv6 in bridge mode?

 That is an excellent question and I don't have the answer. I will ask the question and get back to you.

 

IPv6 will be fully enabled with software version 2.0.10.16 scheduled for deployment in January.


I can confirm that I got an IPv6 address (2607:f798) in gateway mode on the CODA-4582 modem itself (s/w v. 2.0.10.13), and in bridge mode on my personal firewall (pfSense).

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial


@Double_K wrote:

@RogersDave wrote:

@VivienM wrote:
I'm tempted to go pick one up, but one question: when you say IPv6 is not enabled, is that only in gateway mode? Or is there also no IPv6 in bridge mode?

 That is an excellent question and I don't have the answer. I will ask the question and get back to you.

 

IPv6 will be fully enabled with software version 2.0.10.16 scheduled for deployment in January.


I can confirm that I got an IPv6 address (2607:f798) in gateway mode on the CODA-4582 modem itself (s/w v. 2.0.10.13), and in bridge mode on my personal firewall (pfSense).


Okay, I just exchanged my CGN3ACSMR for a CODA-4582. Got it in bridge mode! (@RogersDave, let me know if you'll need firmware testers for this)

 

One thing I really like about this: BUILT-IN POWER SUPPLY! So nice not to have to worry about shoving a bulky brick in the back of a UPS.

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

at5
I've Been Here Awhile

For those in Mississauga, I just came back from the Rogers store at Erin Mills Town Center and they had the new modems.  Was in and out in less than 5 mins.  Just finished setting it up and will start testing, but seems like everything is working better.  I used to get lag just on browsing (DNS lookups), but it's instant now.

 

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast
Did they give you a hard time when trying to swap to the new modem ?

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

at5
I've Been Here Awhile
Nope the guy didn't even ask any questions. I just asked him if they had the new modem and that I wanted to swap it out to improve the latency on my line. Hopefully you'll have the same experience...

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Double_K
I'm a Reliable Contributor
Nope, no hard time. Quick & Easy.

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial


@Double_K wrote:

I can confirm that I got an IPv6 address (2607:f798) in gateway mode on the CODA-4582 modem itself (s/w v. 2.0.10.13), and in bridge mode on my personal firewall (pfSense).


 This is a case of left hand not speaking to right hand... The reason IPv6 was disabled is because there are some issues with it in certain scenarios. I expect it will get disabled tonight.

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Has anyone tried the new modem yet with the Xbox one and has there been any improvement

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial


@RogersDave wrote:

@Double_K wrote:

I can confirm that I got an IPv6 address (2607:f798) in gateway mode on the CODA-4582 modem itself (s/w v. 2.0.10.13), and in bridge mode on my personal firewall (pfSense).


 This is a case of left hand not speaking to right hand... The reason IPv6 was disabled is because there are some issues with it in certain scenarios. I expect it will get disabled tonight.


Can't it be left enabled for us bridge mode folks?

 

(*grumble* I just spent like 20 minutes getting my sad FreeBSD router that was losing its default route back up and doing IPv6...)

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

One additional note. Some of you, if you are very lucky will also see DOCSIS 3.1 enabled on their new modem. At the moment it is only enabled in very select areas (essentially were we were conducting testing).

 

In the DOCSIS WAN panel, there is a section for OFDM Downstream. If there is an enabled DOCSIS 3.1 carrier in your area it will look like this.

 

DOCSIS3.1.jpg

 

There is no official schedule to enable it on a larger area of the network but because it takes a lot of capacity away from DOCSIS 3.0 it will largely depends on how many customers actually migrated to the new device in a given area (the new device can handle both 2 x OFDM DOCSIS 3.1 channels and 32 x QAM DOCSIS 3.0 channels simultaneously).

 

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Double_K
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I can confirm I'm getting all 32 downstream channels at 256QAM.

But the HUGE benefit to me, is that the Upstream signal strength is finally fixed with this new modem!

I've had all sorts of Internet & TV techs at my house trying to fix the signal strength.  Consistently, the upstream signal strength would go from 46dBmV to 50, to 51, to 55, to 57 (all the while disconnecting upstream channels until resetting the modem).  Never below 46.  After changing the modem this morning, I'm now getting 38-40dBmV (below is my screen shot).

 

Looks like we're not DOCSIS 3.1 yet in my area.

2016-12-13 (4).png