FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Network Architect
Network Architect

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

@alback wrote:

Last Tuesday, I requested the beta to be uploaded to my CGN3ACR modem as it has 4.5.8.16.  I am wondering why it has taken this long to load.

Alback, Not sure how you sent that request or if I've missed it but I sent the upgrade your way.

Another question I have is whether this is the correct modem to use for ignite 100 plan, or whether the CGN3ACSMR or CGNM-3552 would be better modems.  I will continue to use the Rogers modem in bridge mode no matter which model I use.

For Ignite 100 service, the CGN3ACR is perfectly fine.

Dave

Network Architect
Network Architect

@Mythen wrote:
@RogersDave

I have the 3552. What applications should I see the latency improvements. I have the. 27 firmware

Mythen

Firmware 4.5.8.27 only includes ICMP (ping) latency improvement.

I'm hoping to see improvement with TCP and UDP in an upcoming release.

Dave

I Plan to Stick Around

I saw that, thanks for the firmware update and for the reply.

cheers,
Highlighted
Network Architect
Network Architect

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

Now my question is, will DOCSIS 3.1 be as good as cablelabs describe it? in terms of ping for us online gamers?

John

That is a complicated question and only time (and testers like you) will tell. Sorry for the below, this gets technical...

In DOCSIS 3.1, there are a few positive things. First, the gateway itself has to be more powerful and is not based on Intel Puma 6 which is known to exhibit latency issues. That will be the first major win.

DOCSIS 3.1 capable gateways are all backward compatible to DOCSIS 3.0. Before the introduction of the Broadcom BCM3390 and Intel Puma 7 chipsets (both DOCSIS 3.1 capable), the only gateways capable of operating at 32 channels were all based on the Intel Puma 6 chipset. By using D3.1 chipsets, even operating in DOCSIS 3.0 mode, it means that there will be far more modems capable of operating with 32 channels on the downlink.

Aside from that, DOCSIS 3.1 makes AQM mandatory. It is available in some DOCSIS 3.0 gateways but it is mandatory in 3.1 and that can also potentially help.

Final point is regarding modulation. DOCSIS 3.1 uses OFDM which is more resilient to noise. Also, given the higher modulation schemes, there is better efficiency in bit/Hz which leads to more capacity. This will therefore alleviate congestion, where it exists, and help with the latency as well.

DOCSIS3.1 operation mode allows to operate in hybrid mode with D3.1 on the downlink and D3.0 on the uplink and this is what most operators will deploy first. The technology for D3.1 on the uplink is not 100% mature and will be ready sometimes in 2017.

Congestion on the uplink is far more prevalent than on the downstream. Once D3.1 is available on the uplink, that will increase capacity significantly both by increasing efficiency but also allowing cable operators to use lower spectrum, typically noisier, and that D3.0 couldn’t use. This will also help with improving the latency.

Hope this provides some answers to your question.

Dave

I'm a Reliable Contributor

That's exactly what I was looking for, it answers all my questions.

Thanks!

@RogersDave wrote:

In DOCSIS 3.1, there are a few positive things. First, the gateway itself has to be more powerful and is not based on Intel Puma 6 which is known to exhibit latency issues. That will be the first major win.

DOCSIS 3.1 capable gateways are all backward compatible to DOCSIS 3.0. Before the introduction of the Broadcom BCM3390 and Intel Puma 7 chipsets (both DOCSIS 3.1 capable), the only gateways capable of operating at 32 channels were all based on the Intel Puma 6 chipset. By using D3.1 chipsets, even operating in DOCSIS 3.0 mode, it means that there will be far more modems capable of operating with 32 channels on the downlink........

Dave

@RogersDave I think this answers my question from an earlier post: M37398 - it appears that the next modem may be a Broadcom BCM3390-based unit.  Yeah!

If you're looking for pre-deployment early field testers of the new D3.1 modem (with Rogers IPTV Smiley Wink) in a concurrent operation setup, please add me to the list!

Also more than willing to be a Beta Tester for new modem ,  250u plan but I don't have Rogers TV.

Network Architect
Network Architect

@Double_K wrote:

@RogersDave I think this answers my question from an earlier post: M37398 - it appears that the next modem may be a Broadcom BCM3390-based unit.  Yeah!

If you're looking for pre-deployment early field testers of the new D3.1 modem (with Rogers IPTV Smiley Wink) in a concurrent operation setup, please add me to the list!

"May" is the correct word here. There are now 3 chipsets capable of supporting 32 channels on the downlink, 2 of which happens to be DOCSIS 3.1 compliant:

• Intel Puma 6 (DOCSIS 3.0)
  • Intel Puma 7 (DOCSIS 3.0+3.1)
  • Broadcom BCM3390 (DOCSIS 3.0+3.1)

All I did was answer the question of @JohnBeaudin "what improvement to latency would DOCSIS 3.1 bring".

Unfortunately, there are no plans for a hardware beta tester program at this point.... Sorry.

I Plan to Stick Around

Please delete this post.

We will know within a few weeks I am sure.

To the person that had the idea to start this thread -> you're a genius

To the person thought about  having Dave work with us and answering your questions ect -> you're a genius

and if it's the same person, give that guy promotion please.

John,