Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

So the Cisco 3825 does not see the same problems for you? Can anyone else confirm this is the case?

Any reason we wouldn't all use that?

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
I get around 350- 400 mbps on the gigabite package over wifi. The trouble is when I hardwire anything, my router included i can't get speeds higher than 100 mbps. Anyone else with this issue?

@soundwave80 there are a couple of reasons for seeing that:

1.  The ports on the devices, including the router only support 100 Mb/s max.  If you connect everything thru the router, then the router WAN port might only support 100 Mb/s.   There are new routers on the market, with gigabit wifi capability that only have 100 Mb/s ports installed.  Makes no sense what so ever, unless you don't care about high speed internet access.  

2.  The ethernet cables that you are using only support 100 Mb/s or are damaged in some fashion and as a result only supports 100 Mb/s.  There are probably a good number of people who have "Fast Ethernet" cables kicking around.  They only support 100 Mb/s.  They may have been fast at one time, but not any more.  You might have to replace a couple of cables. 

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

After a couple of weeks on 4.5.8.27, I noticed that I'm affected by the upload speed bug which also causes my ping in games to rise to 50ms and sometimes to 110ms at max. When the bug occurs, I get upload speeds lower than 10mbps (around 7-9.5mbps) and increased jitter when I run the rogers speed test. 

@RogersDave Are there any updates to the follow-up firmware version of .27 which addresses this issue? I would also like to know if there are any exciting updates coming in the near future 🙂

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
I am using a netgear R6300v2 with the 5g signal set to 1300 mbps and have tried 2 different cat 6 cables .

Same here since .27 upload been higher and also noticed pings are higher I would also like to know when will this issue be fixed

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@RyzenFX 

I can't wait to see what's coming next as well!

Christmas gift I hope from @RogersDave 😉

Nadernt
I plan to stick around

Has anyone been experiencing ping jitter recently? When I first got the .27 firmware, my average jitter was around 6ms. Now it's been 10ms at its lowest, sometimes going as high as 40ms. One day it was a solid 50ms, and when I restarted my modem it went down to 15ms. Since I do online gaming, it's very very noticable when my ping starts to vary by such large numbers. I'm not sure if it's the result of the firmware, my modem, or something else.

Here are some pictures of various ping tests:

st3.PNG

st1.PNG

st2.PNG

st4.PNG

Yea me

Yep, thats the main reason why I am here.

I ended up ordering Bell Fibe to test... can't be troubleshooting this for months on end. Really a shame as i was with Rogers for over 15 years at my old location and now at my new place I seem to be having all sorts of problems with jitter and ping.

Why didn't you stay with bell ? Have a few friends on bell that lives on the same street as me and when we play the same game online same console same time his ping and jitter always lower then mine, I'm just waiting to see if Rogers can resolve this issue because has been going on for years if not we are all switching over there's about 24 of us who are willing to switch over to the big blue we are just fed up

I was never with Bell, going to try them now. Was always with Rogers.

Hello Community!

It has been a few days since I provided updates and there was a lot of question. This will therefore be an overall post, trying to answer as many questions as possible.

Although I haven't responded live to messages, I have been reading them all and have been active in the background. We take your feedback very seriously and are making every possible effort to make the Rogers High-Speed Internet service, the absolute best for all of you.

@TFM_Jeff wrote:

This is my first time updating to a trial version, so I just wanted to know if requesting it locks me in for all future trials, or just this one (4.5.8.27)? I only want to participate in this one as people are reporting greater ping results.

Once you register for the trial, you will automatically receive the latest firmware version available for testing. You can always send a message to @CommunityHelps if you want to stop participation in this trial and your modem will be put back on the current production firmware. That being said, I am quite flexible in testing various configurations. If when upgrading to a newer version you uncover issues, I can temporarily revert the changes to your modem until we resolve the problem. I have worked with some users in this community where I upgraded and downgraded their modem multiple times in the same day to test various features and I'm always available for that.

@Double_K wrote:

@RogersDave do you mind updating the first post's Known Issues with the TCP & UDP Latency issues that are still to be fixed?  4.5.8.25 says "Latency Improvements" but that probably needs to be qualified as "ICMP Latency Improvements".

I will in a few minutes.

@dani190 wrote:

So the Cisco 3825 does not see the same problems for you? Can anyone else confirm this is the case?

Any reason we wouldn't all use that?

The Cisco DPC3825 is an 8x4 modem built with a different chipset. It is true that it is not affected by the same latency issues as the Intel Puma 6 chipset but your speeds will be significantly lower with this modem.

It is also not a modem that we carry in stock anymore so it may be hard to find.

@eddiethefunnyon wrote:

After a couple of weeks on 4.5.8.27, I noticed that I'm affected by the upload speed bug which also causes my ping in games to rise to 50ms and sometimes to 110ms at max. When the bug occurs, I get upload speeds lower than 10mbps (around 7-9.5mbps) and increased jitter when I run the rogers speed test. 

I suspect based on your description of the problem that what you are experiencing is not an issue with the modem itself but likely some localized congestion on the uplink. I assume that the spike in latency manifest itself in peak hours (6PM to 11PM)? If it's the case and it clears itself after, it's likely what is causing latency spikes during peak-hours.

@lethalsniper wrote:
Same here since .27 upload been higher and also noticed pings are higher I would also like to know when will this issue be fixed

Are your latency results higher since you moved to firmware 4.5.8.27? If so, you would be the first user to report this behavior and we should perform further testing. If you want, I can downgrade your modem back to 4.5.8.22 to compare.

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

@RyzenFX 

I can't wait to see what's coming next as well!

Christmas gift I hope from @RogersDave 😉

I can't provide all the details yet but yes I'm hoping for a Christmas gift for all the work done with this community. We are still working with Hitron on addressing some of the reported issues and making further improvements to the latency. We are also working on a new modem in the coming weeks but more on that later 🙂

Dave

Stand alone modem or another Hiltron gateway with issues

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave

Thanks for the news Dave! always nice to hear about progression.

I can't wait to test this further latency improvements and also looking forward to the new modem.

Double_K

@RogersDave wrote:

We are also working on a new modem in the coming weeks but more on that later 🙂

Would that be the Intel Puma 7-based Hitron CODA?

Or (hopefully) a Broadcom BCM3390-based unit?

I say hopefully because the Cisco 3825 uses a Broadcom chipset, and it's reliable, low-latency, and fast (130Mbps/10Mbps on Ignite100u service).

The assumption being that this new (DOCSIS 3.1?) modem will be tied to Rogers' new IP TV service, right?

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

I'm on the ignite 250/20 am i able to use the Cisco 3825 or will I have to drop down to the ignite 100 ?Will it benefit me using the Cisco 3825 for gaming with the lower ping/latency or should I hold off till later when or if new modem or firmware fix

Double_K

lethalsniper,

Technically, the Cisco 3825 should support it.  Whether Rogers' network infrastructure does is a question for @RogersDave.

From the Cisco 3825 Data Sheet: "These bonded channels can deliver downstream data rates in excess of 340 Mbps and upstream data rates in excess of 120 Mbps."  Those numbers assume 256QAM on 8 x 6Mhz Channels for downstream, and 64QAM on 4 x 6.4MHz Channels upstream.

Rogers does not use all 4 upstream channels - depending on your upstream signal levels, you could have 1 to 3 channels.  In addition, Rogers may use 3.2MHz Channels upstream rather than 6.4MHz.  But even at 64QAM on 3 x 3.2MHz Channels upstream (assuming your upstream signal levels are less than +51dBmV), you're looking at 45Mbps raw throughput upstream (until the local network in your neighbourhood gets busy).

In terms of gaming, I can tell you that my family noticed the decreased multiplayer performance in their FPS, Racing, and Sports games when I went to the CGN3ACSMR - and as soon as I switched back to the 3825, they were happy (hence my comment about TCP & UDP latency issues to be resolved).

@lethalsniper Rogers will not allow that modem to be used for 250/20.  If you want to use it, you will have to step down to 100/10 or less.  I suspect that its less.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

That's what Rogers want to fix the latency so we can game again.. but it's getting there , we are closer than ever.