Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave

Curious about what will be .27 patch notes vs .26 that I am curently testing?

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

@RogersDave

John,

As far as I’m aware, changes between .26 and .27 are not customer facing or performance related. It is all backend related so nothing exciting here.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

I am always excited to see progress even thought it's only on backend 😉

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave wrote:

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

@RogersDave

John,

As far as I’m aware, changes between .26 and .27 are not customer facing or performance related. It is all backend related so nothing exciting here.

When should we expect .26 or .27? I'm still on .22 here.

TIA,

Daniel 

EDIT: I see here and thanks!

@RogersDave wrote:

Firmware 4.5.8.27 is the candidate for rollout in production and therefore is the firmware that I will pushing to all trial participants as soon as I get the approval from engineering.

Mythen
I plan to stick around

@Datalink  I contacted Tech support about my line levels and they advised me to swap my modem as everything looks good from their end.  so first thing is I'd like to get it to .22 version of firmware. Remind me what I have to do again 

Thanks

Mythens

If you haven't swapped the modem yet, ensure that you swap both the modem and power brick.  At the store, check the model type at the back of the modem.  Look for a CGN3ACSMR.  The store staff might not appreciate that, but, it is what it is.  

If you manage to bring home a CGN3ACSMR, that modem will be updated automatically within 48 to 72 hours of going online.  It will update to 4.5.8.22.  If you bring home a CGN3ACR, or CGN3AMR, you will have to request the update to 4.5.8.22.  If you bring home a gigabit CGNM-3552, (that would be my preference if there is no additional cost) you will also have to request the update.  

To request the update, have a look at message # 471 (top post) on the following page for instructions on requesting the trial version, 4.5.8.22.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/348...

When you are sending the private message as indicated in that post, also log into your modem and copy the HFC MAC address and modem Serial number and paste that into the message. The HFC MAC Address and modem Serial Number can be found on the STATUS page that is displayed when you log into the modem. The Cable Modem MAC Address and S/N can also be found on the back of the modem.

Mythen
I plan to stick around

Yeah I managed to get the CGNM-3552.  I have sent the message stating that. so just waiting for a reply

Mythen

@Mythen, can you run a speedtest using the Toronto Rogers speedtest server as indicated below.  Please let me know what the results are and what version Firmware is currently loaded.  I suspect that it's .19.   After .22 is loaded, please rerun the test and post those results as well.  Other users have reported slow upload results with the CGNM-3552, so, I'm wondering how your results will turn out..

From @RogersDave:  "....on Speedtest.net, Rogers has servers. They simply don’t show up in the list for Toronto because there are too many servers. It is however possible to select this server by clicking in the upper right corner on “Settings” then in the lower right Preferred Server: “Mississauga, ON [CA] – Rogers” or “Toronto, ON [CA] – Rogers”. This should give more accurate results of the last mile. These servers are actually way better than the old speedcheck.rogers.com as they have 40 Gbps connections to them. After setting a preferred server, the main speedtest.net interface will provide 2 options: “Begin test – recommended servers” and “Begin test – preferred server”."

Your saved server will be the preferred option at this point.

Learn something new all the time as they say 🙂

Mythen
I plan to stick around

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5696584717

@Datalink  Please keep in mind that I live in Newfoundland and we don't have gigabit internet yet.  I currently subscribe to 70/10   The modem has .21 version firmware

Mythens

Hmm, ok, in that case try the Montreal Rogers server.  What I'm looking for are any signs of a drop in the upload speeds when you go from .21 to .22.  I don't expect any, but would like to see how the speedtest numbers turn out. 

Your posted test results don't look to bad at all.  You should see the same results for a Mississauga test with .22 loaded.  

Mythen
I plan to stick around

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5696597819

There doesn't appear to be a montreal rogers speeds test server in the list. 

Mythens

Breadwinka
I plan to stick around
They gave you a CGNM-3552 without Gigabit service when did this change?

On the speedtest site, select "Settings" from the top menu, and then in the lower right hand side on the next page, there is a drop down menu for "Preferred Server" which lists numerous servers from around the world.  There is a Rogers server in Montreal and also in Moncton.   The Moncton server might be the closest Rogers server for you.  I'd compare the results for Montreal and Moncton, just for the heck of it.  

@Breadwinka I've seen a few posts that indicate the same.  Don't know when the policy changed.  Maybe its a matter of what stock is available in the store at the time??

Mythen
I plan to stick around

@Breadwinka  At the store I went to most likely all they had in stock.  But the fact they are bringing them in would indicate Gigabit internet is close

Mythen

Mythen
I plan to stick around

I am currently on .21on a 3552 modem and have been experiencing low upload speeds for the past week (I have only had Rogers' internet a week and a day ago). They don't happen all the time but I have been experiencing them later at night even though my download speeds are fine.

Here's my speedtest to Rogers' Toronto server: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5696883258

Also, I hate the fact that Rogers considers pinging 25+ms to a server less than 50km away normal. I would like to note that these aren't spikes, I have been pinging that server multiple times and it's anywhere from 20-40ms. Since I do a lot of gaming, it is definitely not normal for me. I am also not sure if this is modem problem or a network problem.

The spikes I have been experiencing can be attributed to the modem and I know a fix is in the works, however I am not sure if the higher than normal ping can.

@IwasDerp, can you consider trying the following as an experiment to see if it resolves the low upload rates.  I hate to ask anyone to go thru all of this, but I would like to see if this might resolve the situation with new installs going wrong.

1.  Run a factory reset of the modem by either holding down the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and releasing it.  Or, by using the Factory Reset function located in the modem's ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET page.

2.  When the modem reset is complete, run the setup required to enable you to log into the modem and kick it back into Bridge mode.  

3.  When the reboot back into Bridge mode is complete, run a factory reset of the router.  Sorry, but this will require you to reset the router parameters.  

4.  When the router reboot and reset is complete, with the connected pc or laptop, bring up a command prompt with admin privileges and enter;'

ipconfig/release

ipconfig/flushdns

ipconfig/renew

When that is all done and you're up and running run a speedtest using the www.speedtest.net Toronto Beanfield server or the Rogers Toronto or Mississauga server.  To access the Rogers Toronto server, 

on Speedtest.net, select "Settings" from the upper menu list.  Then on the next page, in the lower right Preferred Server: “Toronto, ON [CA] – Rogers”.   Save the setting.  After setting a preferred server, selecting "Take a speedtest"  will take you back to the main speedtest.net interface which will provide 2 options: “Begin test – recommended servers” and “Begin test – preferred server”."

Your saved server will be the preferred option at this point.

Let me know how this all works out. 

The purpose of resetting everything from scratch is to:

1.  Ensure that the modem really is updated and not just loaded without completing the update.

2.  Wipe out any previous DNS settings from your router which point to the previous ISP servers.

3.  Wipe out any IP address data and DNS data from your pc or laptop that point to the previous ISP servers.

Whenever you switch ISPs, its usually a good idea to reset the router from scratch to remove data that is no longer in effect and to flush the DNS cache and any old IP data from the pc or laptop.  

Edit;

If, when this is all said and done, and you notice service dropouts, try the following, but, only do one at a time:

1.  Disable IPV6 in the router if you don't do so already.  Then reboot the router.  When the router reboot is complete, once again bring up a command prompt in the connected pc or laptop and run the same sequence to flush any IPV6 data:

ipconfig/release

ipconfig/flushdns

ipconfig/renew

2.  If that has no effect, after watching for further failures, set a DNS address in your router if you don't do that already.  If you normally leave the DNS fields empty in the router, then the router and any connected device will use the Rogers router.  So, enter DNS server addresses in the primary and secondary address fields so that you will no longer be using the Rogers DNS.  Here are a couple you could use:

OpenDNS is   208.67.222.222 and  208.67.220.220

Google is        8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

When that is done and saved, reboot the router, and once again bring up a command prompt in the connected pc or laptop and run the same sequence to flush the Rogers DNS data:

ipconfig/release

ipconfig/flushdns

ipconfig/renew

Keep the IPV6 disabled in the router for now, looking for any further failures.  If you don't see any failure after a few days, consider enabling IPV6 and watch for any failures after that point. 

What router model do you have?

So I tried all of that and nothing seemed to work, neither the upload nor the ping got better which leads me to beleive it might be network related and for some reason it's not being found by the network engineers since my sginals and all that jazz is within limits. I also have never had a problem with internet/modem cutting out. As for my modem model, it is the CGNM-3552.

I have submitted a couple of tickets and all have been closed but the issue still presists. 

In the past it usually got better at around 1AM but that doesn't seem to have happened today. When it gets better the ping goes to the what it's supposed to be at around 9-12ms to the Toronto servers and the upload it at 9-11mbps.

So really not sure what's up with all of this since I have never experienced these issue with my previous ISP. The only option left is the modem firmware so that's why I really want to try out the newer firmware to see if that will help the situation. So really looking forward to the trial release of new firmware.

j2pc
I plan to stick around

I am currently on 4.5.8.22 for about a month or so. How do I update to newer beta versions?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

At the present time 4.5.8.22 is it.  The next trial version has only been released to a very limited group pending further changes to the firmware before it's released to a larger test group.   That release might come this week. Just speculating.