FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rogers Employee thegoodguy
Rogers Employee

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Hey @Datalink, thanks for all the info and suggestion.

I just got off the phone with Tech Support. Provided them with all the details and hoops I jumped through. They ran some pings on their side, and did not see any packet loss. But they saw a lot of noises in my network. In fact, in their word, it's really "awlful". Mostly red. He went back and said it's been for the past 5 weeks. 5 out of past 7 days were bad. And 20 out of past 24 hours were red. They opened a network performance ticket to investigate the source of the noises and hopefully resolve. He also checked the neighbourbood, but did not notice anything at this time.

I'll keep monitoring the pings. And yes, it's a hit and miss, and hard to pin it down.

To your other questions....

Yes, my router is a few years old. It's an Asus RT-N66U. When I had that plugged in, the lan port was amber (I think the Asus supports Gigabit Lan and Wan). But yes, I do plan to upgrade that if this one doesn't work with the CN3ACSMR. The Asus brand provides much better wifi signals in the house, plus it gives me the tools to threaten my kids with the traffic and parental control ;-) At the present time, I just want to isolate the modem, and so I'm using it in default modem/router mode. I'll swtich back to bridge mode later when things settle down.

I ran a test with www.speedtest.net. Results as follows:

Ping - 10ms
Download Speed - 144.69 Mbps
Upload Speed - 11.05 Mbps

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ugh, noise on the network.  That's really a pain, and it can be hard to pin down.  My guess is someone is running something that is injecting noise into the network, causing problems for the neighbors.  Did you get the ticket number so that you can call back and enquire on the progress?  Sometimes it helps to remind them, even if happens to be every day Smiley Happy

The N-66U should be okay, unless you want a faster modem.  I'm running an RT-AC68U which I am quite happy with. 

What service are you on, 250/20?  Just trying to make sense of your 144/11 Mbps speed test.  Usually on a 100/10 service you would see peak speeds of ~130/11.  On a 250/20 service you would see ~325/22 Mbps for peak speeds.

You shouldn't have any issues using 192.168.100.1 to access the modem.  Are you running the Asus firmware or something else?  Asus firmware has changed to a closed version due to the FCC decision to enfore power and frequency rules in the US, therefore once you load a recent version of Asus firmware, you're locked out of loading anything else that doesn't conform to the new header scheme that Asus is now using.  Merlin's firmware was just released and apparently is compatible for loading. 

Rogers Employee thegoodguy
Rogers Employee

Hi @Datalink, yes I got the case number, and they'll notify me of updates by email as well. I'll call in to check status if it become stale, but to be a good corporate citizen (I'm a Rogers employee), that won't be everyday ;-)

One thing that came to my mind and I told the tech is, there was extensive digging in my neighbourhood in the past month by another telco...I guess to lay fibres. And I know somebody else on the street also have Internet problems and they've been on the CGN3ACSMR for a few months. I'm interested to know what they'll find out.

I don't really use AC in the house, so an N is fine with me for now. But, I'm more than ready to get the upgraded Asus AC router.

I'm on 100/10. I don't need that much speed (my kids would say otherwise). As long as it's unlimited data, I'm fine.

About the 192.168.100.1, I don't know what happened. I tried both wifi thru the Asus router (which used to work sometimes), and also directly plugged in to the CGN3 modem. The CGN3 eventually just stopped to respond. I could ping 192.168.100.1, but just no webserver response.  Almost sounded like the process had died, or too busy to respond. One thing I remembered is, when it was in bridge mode, after the firmware upgarde and factory reset, I saw that what used to be the WAN address (the IP4 and IPv6 addresses) were blank, just saying "none, none". Maybe if I did another factory rest it would get it back, but I'm not sure. To isolate any such troubles, that's why I switched back to the router mode. I wanted to ensure every else is stable, before I connect a router to it.

Thanks a lot for your help. Really appreicate.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, the kids will always say that ..... "We have the need for speed ...... dad ... !!  Doncha get it ??"    lol.

If you're looking to experiment, connect a laptop or pc to a second port when the modem is in Bridge mode.  It should acquire an IPV4 and IPV6 address and allow you to access the modem via 192.168.100.1  If successful that would confirm that the router needs a routing rule in order to use 192.168.100.1.  The modem should supply two IPV4 and IPV6 addresses when its running in Bridge mode.  Just keep in mind that the laptop or pc firewall is protecting it in that configuration versus a modem or router firewall.  I don't recommend that configuration, except in rare circumstances and only for the shortest period of time that is required to complete any testing, then its back to a modem or router firewall.  

In terms of the cable noise, are you on good terms with your neighbors?  If so, ask them if they are running ethernet over a MoCA adapter, such as the following:

http://www.actiontec.com/251.html

This uses the house RG-6 cabling to distribute ethernet data and is connected to the internet cabling.  The only problem is that it requires a point of entry filter where the connection to the incoming internet cable is made.  Without that filter, the user ends up broadcasting ethernet data over the same frequencies used by cable systems.  Its designed to stay out of the way of inhouse cable frequencies, but, I can see where its possible to interfere with other homes. 

The same idea also applies to Whole Home PVRs which they might be running, so also worth a question.  This uses the same technology to communicate box to box and also requires a point of entry filter to prevent data from leaking out to the outside cable network.  When this is setup, a tech should have installed a point of entry filter in their home.

The filter looks like this:

http://www.antronix.com/antronix-products-filters.php

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/video/filters/7016817.pdf

The last question to ask is whether they have connected any video or ethernet distribution equipment to their RG-6 cabling that is now causing problems for connected neighbors. 

So, that's some food for thought.  You might be able to get to the bottom of this fairly quickly.  Never know unless you ask the question.  Beyond that, the techs will have to track down the noise source.

The modem's IP4 and IPv6 addresses will say "none, none" when the modem is in Bridge mode.  You have to use the router to determine the addresses.

I've Been Around

I was told that I need this as i cannot seem to pair my chromecast apps to the rogers router/modem
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have a look at message # 471 (top post) on the following page for the instruction on requesting the trial version, 4.5.8.22.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/348...

I've Been Around

I am using the CGN3ACSMR. I am not sure if this is correct area of the forum to post this, but I am currently trying to connect my Google Chromecast to the Hintron router, and not having any luck.

Is there a fix for this? Apparently when I call Rogers Tech support they are not aware of the issue and can't help me resolve it. Google knows more about the problem than Rogers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ChrisThomas, please see the post just above yours to request Firmware Version 4.5.8.22, which will resolve your Chromecast problems.

I've Been Here Awhile

Firmware Trial was pushed to my modem and fixed my Chromecast issue. Thanks!

I've Been Around

Thank you.. It's working great

The trail firmware is working, thank you for the prompt response. Great job!