Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

mnm
I'm here a lot

The update worked like a charm. No chromecast connectivity issues after more than a week of frustration. 

I am also receiving the message about:

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out

I have also noticed that the wifi on my phone drops out for a moment every once in a while. My parents have also been complaining that the desktop running on wifi constantly loses its connection.

Mythen
I plan to stick around

I have had the .22 version firmware for a couple of days and this message has come up on the docsis logs. 

B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=bc:4d:fb:90:7e:c0;CMTS-MAC=00:23:5e:6f:1e:62;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

also 

Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC;CM-MAC=bc:4d:fb:90:7e:c0;CMTS-MAC=00:23:5e:6f:1e:62;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Any idea.  

Mythens

jcgeerts
I've been here awhile
My modem is dropping connection more frequently with the trial firmware version.

Zaphod99
I plan to stick around

Am I correct in assuking that most people are finding .22 firmware a dud? Devices dropping connections? 

jcgeerts
I've been here awhile
Chromecast works better with the trial firmware however my observation is such that the connection to the outside world drops more frequently with the new firmware .

My Chromecast devices worked flawlessly prior to the firmware upgrade that was pushed to my modem in May.

selbourn
I've been here awhile
I signed up for the trial at the direction of Rogers support, to hopefully solve the Chromecast issues I was experiencing since early June.

I have the .22 trial now and the Chromecast connection problems I was having seem to have been resolved. All of my devices and computers are finding the Chromecast right away and it hasn't disappeared the way it had been for weeks.

Since the firmware update though, I have noticed devices dropping Wi-Fi connection, as some others have mentioned. I usually notice it on my phone (Android Moto G), a couple of minutes after it goes into standby. The phone reconnects immediately, when I reopen from the lock screen, but drops any cast link to the Chromecast in an open app.

Streams continue to play without interruption, but I have to start the cast in the app again in order to control from an app other than Google Cast. In the Netflix app, for example, recasting stops the stream.

Overall, I'm happy that the Chromecast issues have been resolved. The Wi-Fi drops are a bit inconvenient, but nowhere near as much as the Chromecast issues were. Looking forward to the drops bring addressed.

Mythen
I plan to stick around

That's been my experience as well.  with the .22 version firmware.  any fix for this. what should we do?

Mythens

@Mythen wrote:

I have had the .22 version firmware for a couple of days and this message has come up on the docsis logs. 

B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=bc:4d:fb:90:7e:c0;CMTS-MAC=00:23:5e:6f:1e:62;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

also 

Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC;CM-MAC=bc:4d:fb:90:7e:c0;CMTS-MAC=00:23:5e:6f:1e:62;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Any idea.  

Mythens

Mythens,

This is normally a sign of a signal issue. I have however checked your signal levels and everything looks fine at the moment. It is not linked to the firmware but we should keep an eye on this.

Based on what I've seen, I suggest your power cycle your modem (remove the power cord for 10 seconds and put it back) then check your DOCSIS Events logs for the next few days if the same thing re-occurs.

Dave

@jcgeerts wrote:
My modem is dropping connection more frequently with the trial firmware version.

jcgeerts,

I'd like to look at this case more in details but I can't find your name in the list of participants. Did you request to be part of this trial on the forum and can you confirm your modem is running firmware 4.5.8.22?

@azncapcom wrote:

I am also receiving the message about:

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out

I have also noticed that the wifi on my phone drops out for a moment every once in a while. My parents have also been complaining that the desktop running on wifi constantly loses its connection.

The T4 timeout message will cause a disconnect but are not realted to the firmware upgrade. This is something we are currently investigating on the network.

Mythen
I plan to stick around
Thanks for the reply Dave. I power cycled yesterday after posting that message. And nothing since. Although yesterday morning me and a few neighbour's lost service for about 20 minutes and then came back

Mythens

blues_clues
I plan to stick around

I came across an issue with the timestamp of the event log.  I don't think it is following DST properly as my last entry has a posted timestamp of 1 hour ahead of the current time.  I chose Eastern Time and using the ToD function.  I switched to SNTP but same result.  The offset of 60 is not editable.

@blues_clues wrote:

I came across an issue with the timestamp of the event log.  I don't think it is following DST properly as my last entry has a posted timestamp of 1 hour ahead of the current time.  I chose Eastern Time and using the ToD function.  I switched to SNTP but same result.  The offset of 60 is not editable.

The DOCSIS event logs are actually reported in UTC time. Therefore, there is a 4 hours difference (for Ontario) between the log entry and the local time.

Mythen
I plan to stick around
Dave. Can you check my connection again. Just lost connection briefly. But the modem didn't lose sync. The emta did. Modem log file showing critical errors

Mythens

Zohner
I've been here awhile

I keep having issues with using my Chromecast.  Can't find how to download the solution/new firmware.

Mythen
I plan to stick around

here are some errors that my modem log file has gotten today

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync

Lost MDD Timeout;

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure

Mythens

@Zohner, have a look at message #63 on the following page for instructions in requesting the trial firmware which resolves Chromecast issues:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/342...

sfr
I've been here awhile
Since getting the .22 version my chromecast issues appear to be resolved.
For me, these issues started several weeks ago when I rebooted the modem. Immediately after, I lost my chromecast functionality PLUS my AirPlay (audio) functionality. Specifically, on my iOS devices, the AirPlay option no longer shows up and I cannot connect my AirPlay speaker to my wifi network.

I am still experiencing the AirPlay issue and would appreciate any help/advice. Thanks.

blues_clues
I plan to stick around
So what is the purpose of system time on the status screen? If you are collecting syslogs from the modems, UTC is fine but locally, the event log should reflect your time settings.

DJtml
I've been here awhile

well this is weird cause i dont remember ever signing up for this. aparently my "neighbourhood" has been having issues the last few weeks and i was lookin around the modem and the internet, came accross this. i checked my firmware version 2 days ago and was on the 4.5.8.23 version. i checked to day and im back down to the 4.5.8.21 version. FIX MY INTERNET