Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

SimplePanda
I plan to stick around

@eddiethefunnyon wrote:

Alright, when I get the .20 update hopefully tonight I'll reset it and see if LoL works fine. @SimplePanda have you tried running LoL with dual stack already?

Me? No. Never touch the stuff.

I have friends that play though. No problems.

Comcast has been dual-stack IPv6/IPv4 (same as Rogers) for almost 2 years.

If it didn't work on Comcast, I imagine we'd all be hearing about it. 🙂

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

I received the .21 firmware yesterday.  So far so good!  I'll report back again in a few days.  Thanks!

howi
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave and Folks,

My 1st observation... 

The manual DNS resolver settings still will not accept DNSv6 entries

@howi wrote:

@RogersDave and Folks,

My 1st observation... 

Thanks howi, I've added this to the issue list.

Would you also be able to confirm if defining a manual DNSv4 address has any impact on IPv6 connectivity (it did in the past)?

lee_3_00
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

So far since recieving this update to .21, everything has been working great! Just like at @RogersDave mentioned, once we recieve the .21 trial firmware update that it's recommended to do a factory reset either through 192.168.0.1 or by going to the modem itself and clicking the pinhole in to reset modem. 

I noticed I wasn't able to connect to wifi on my Google Nexus 5 either on 2.4 or 5 GHz network until I read Dave's post. Did the factor reset; had to change back my security settings, then I was good to go on my cellphone after Smiley Happy

I noticed once the factor reset was done that there was a "temp" wifi network called EasyConnect. One thing I would recommend we update is the length of the password field for the wifi network. I like to have my password for my wifi network to be at least approx 18 characters long to make it harder for intuders from accessing or wifi network. But this is just a personal preference I guess.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers

@lee_3_00 wrote:

I noticed once the factor reset was done that there was a "temp" wifi network called EasyConnect. One thing I would recommend we update is the length of the password field for the wifi network. I like to have my password for my wifi network to be at least approx 18 characters long to make it harder for intuders from accessing or wifi network. But this is just a personal preference I guess.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers

Thanks lee_3_00 for your feedback.

Are you saying that when configuring your network through EasyConnect, you could not set a password that is 18 characters long? If it is the case, I'll add this to the tracking list as well.

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

I would like to ask? Why the need of the Rogers EasyConnect setup on a factory reset? I always go in and make all the needed changes anyways via the GUI being a security Guru. So it must be for the common costumers to make it easy for them right?

Thanks,

Daniel Smiley Wink

@Triple_Helix wrote:

I would like to ask? Why the need of the Rogers EasyConnect setup on a factory reset? I always go in and make all the needed changes anyways via the GUI being a security Guru. So it must be for the common costumers to make it easy for them right?

Thanks,

Daniel Smiley Wink

That is correct. It also forces customers to change the admin password of the router. Ultimately, the goal is to ensure that basic security settings are in place once the gateway goes online for the first time.

After that, everything can be changed manually.

howi
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave wrote:

@howi wrote:

@RogersDave and Folks,

My 1st observation... 

Thanks howi, I've added this to the issue list.

Would you also be able to confirm if defining a manual DNSv4 address has any impact on IPv6 connectivity (it did in the past)?

@RogersDave,

It is fine as before... getting pings and able to reach IPv6 addresses. The problem you are referring is affecting the CGN3 at my parents with the current firmware (4.2.4.6?) that I must disable the manual DNS settings with using the auto only.

@RogersDave  Ya if possible that would be great! If not no big deal, I know I can still modify the password after through 192.168.0.1 to make it longer 

SimplePanda
I plan to stick around

Just a quick note on the ESP/IPSec slowdown issue - I upgraded to 500u (no gigabit in my area yet) and the 4.5.8.19 firmware for the 3552 has the same issue - very fast transfers unless ESP/IPv6 is in use.

tyreman
I plan to stick around

Still working fine here

Vanilla configuration, modem in bridge mode

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

Received the .20 firmware, however a few hours after it was updated, I started to receive connection issues in LoL and voip applications. Ran a couple of speed tests while that was happening but it showed that the pings were fine. I'm confused to what is happening..

When you have time, log into your modem, navigate to the STATUS ...... DOCSIS EVENT page and have a look for one of the following sequences:

a. CMTS-MAC=00:17:10   which indicates that you are connected to a Casa Systems Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS), or;
b. CMTS-MAC=00:12:43   which indicates that you are connected to a Cisco Systems CMTS.
c. CMTS-MAC=00:05:00   which indicates that you are connected to a Cisco Systems CMTS.
d. CMTS-MAC=00:1f:ca   which indicates that you are connected to a Cisco Systems CMTS.

Please let me know what CMTS you are on now.  Then have a look at my comments on the bottom of the following thread and into the next page.  That might explain what you are seeing with LOL and VOIP.   I would be interested in knowing if you see similar results for the online ping in LOL, cycling down, peaking upwards, cycling down, etc, etc.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30788489-4-5-8-21-for-CGN3ACSMR-and-CGNM-3552-Trial-firmware

RyzenFX

@Datalink From what I'm seeing from my docisis event page I'm getting this: CMTS-MAC=00:14:f1.

It doesn't match any of the following sequences that you posted below.

Thats a Cisco Systems CMTS.  Can you run a trace to somewhere, google.ca for example, then when that is complete, ping the second line address, just after the modem address.  Type in:

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -n 250

When that is complete, copy the whole test and paste it into a pm to me so I can have a look at it, ping by ping 🙂

RyzenFX

@Datalink Just sent you the info 🙂 Let me know when you're on to something.

Got it, response sent.  Very similar to what I'm seeing but I didn't expect that in version .20

VivienM
I'm an advisor

So the bug with the LAN ports shutting down came back this morning... 

I power cycled my modem, and when it came back up, I go back in... and it's running 4.5.8.20 again. 😞 What happened?

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
So your firmware was rolled back to .20? Strange. I can gladly report that after several days with .21, I have not experienced the issue with LAN ports shutting off. When I had the issue, it was daily for me, so this new firmware seems to be working well.

Hi VivienM

We have a system that ensures modems are running a current version of firmware. The system periodically checks all modems and performs upgrades/downgrades as required.

Normally when modems are running a special version of firmware, we have to exclude them from this system but as one of the first participants in this trial, your modem was missed.

I went ahead, initiated an upgrade back to 4.5.8.21T6 and have made sure your modem is being excluded from automatic downgrade.