Extremely slow internet 1Gbps service less than 200 Mbps over the last 2 years

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Extremely slow internet 1Gbps service less than 200 Mbps over the last 2 years

Hi Datalink:

Thank you for checking back, it’s been a trying time attempting to resolve this issue. However the problem still exists when using Chrome, Edge or Opera.

Today I am using Firefox as my browser as it is the only browser capable of obtaining anywhere near the speed which I should be getting.

In terms of speed, Firefox obtains 585/30 Mbps, Chrome, Edge and Opera all get around 185/30 Mbps, when using Windows 10 OS.

When I boot into Ubuntu, Firefox and surprisingly Chrome get 950/35 Mbps.

On the Windows side of my computer this is what has been done to date:

1. Bios updated to latest.
  2. Comprehensive scans for both Virus (Norton), Malware (MalwareBytes Premium) and Unhackme regrun.
  3. System File Checker run numerous times.
  4. All Windows bloatware removed via Powershell.
  5. Windows Explorer uninstalled.
  6. All adaptor cards updated to latest drivers.
  7. As far as the Ethernet, and wifi card Advanced settings, all offloads are off.

In the end it seems as though the browsers that use internet explorer for some inherited settings all are incapable of any speed close to what would be expected. Firefox alone doesn’t seem to inherit from windows and settings and is capable of the highest speeds. This may be due to how Firefox uses cloudflare to point to websites:

network.trr.uri;https://mozilla.cloudflare-dns.com/dns-query

So in the end, I think the problem is that windows is passing on some form of handshake protocols which directly affect how Chrome, Edge or Opera handle throughput speeds. These settings seem to for the most part be mitigated in Firefox which is capable of speeds 75% faster. All tests being done on the same Ethernet card with no changes between test so the hardware card can be ruled out as being the bottleneck, in my humble opinion.

Equally, Linux tests show that the card itself is capable of the 1Gbit speed easily, and the speed tests within Linux using Firefox or even Chrome are easily over 900 Mbps, so again the Ethernet card and settings seem appropriate.

I've Been Around

Re: Extremely slow internet 1Gbps service less than 200 Mbps over the last 2 years

Installed the new 1Gb modem this past week because of supposed better performance and latest technology.

I would like to know why I’ve seen the following message twice in less than a week and I had NEVER seen it before - MSG: Slow Internet

Any idea anyone?

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post @C14,

Seeing a slower than expected connection to the internet can come as quite an unwanted interruption to say the least! To assist there's a few additional details we'd need to know. To start, is this with a wired or a wireless connection?

Additionally, may you please connect the Ethernet cable directly from the modem to the computer (not in bridge mode)?

Then, open a web browser and enter the following address to access the gateway login page: 192.168.0.1.

Login using the following credentials:

• Username: cusadmin
  • Password: password   (Or with your password if it was already set up)

Click Status at the top of the page and the DOCSIS WAN tab.

Copy and paste the results, but please make sure to remove your MAC address.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

RogersZia

I've Been Around

Is there a way to pull the drivers Ubuntu is using to see if the versions are the same? I agree, it seems the issues are tied to something Windows 10 and MacOS are doing more so than the adapter. If the other machines (other than the Mac) are windows machines, it is more likely related to the OS being more cumbersome than Ubuntu. The best I have achieved on my Roger's 1G service is 330 Mbps, so I am very interested in your findings.

Edit:

Tagged - @mikemeddings1 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The above last post, was from Dec of last year.. some of the users may not be actively following this thread anymore.

There are many users which, at least say via speed tests (to the appropriate source) have been able to pull the 1g speeds.

But in a REAL WORLD scenario.. the likelyhood of anyone coming even remotely close, especially when say pulling from a single source is very unlikely.  No end server will likely be feeding you the data at that speed.