Extremely high Ping

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Extremely high Ping

I am starting to get really annoyed with Rogers lately. Over the last week and a half, my pings have been through the roof. Froom speed test, my pings are 250-350ms to barrie, toronto and hamilton servers Constantly! pingtest shows same results with jitters over 70ms-120ms, sometiems more. Every CS server that i play on is now over 250ms ping when it was below 60ms before. It is really annoying and ver unconsistent. I have the dpc3825 modem, and the 28mbps package. Please do not tell me to powercycle my network equipment cause i already tried that 2 times to no solution. Anyone else have any suggestions before i call Rogers and anyone else experiencing this.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Extremely high Ping

I opened a ticket earlier this week because my speeds have dropped to 1MBs down (I get better upload speeds).  I've been told my problem is part of a known speed issue with the network.  There is no estimated TTF (time to fix) and they are not able to provide me with any details about the nature of the problem.  I had to go therough the Tier 1 rigamarole but once the tech saw a 10-20% ping loss rate to their own servers he just escalated the ticket..  The upper tiers have closed it as a known issue but my daily status requests continue.  Next week we move on to customer service to get a credit for the lack of service. 

I've Been Around

I've had this issue in the past week or so.

Normally my connection is between 80 and 120 ms for most online apps (games, vent etc.) and tends to sit steady all night with very little change but for the past week everything online has been unplayable and vent has been crapping out regularly and dropping connection.

In games I see latency jumping up to 1000ms then back down to 300 then back up to 800 and so on and this is not over a long time. We're talking within few minutes it will be hopping constantly up and down.

I do pingtests and quality always comes back as D+ with very high jitter.

But it isn't constant. Sometimes it calms down and it gets almost playable for an hour then it goes nuts again.

Normally this really isn't the case and my connection quality is between A and B+ but I don't know what's been going on for this past week. All I know is I haven't been able to play anything online.

Power cycling does nothing for me, I've tried Smiley Sad

I've Been Here Awhile

Got exact same problem, it seems that rogers oversold their nodes once again and we are going to have unusable internet during prime time. Last year this happened in September-October and it seems they never learn. Too bad that my landlord doesn't want to change because its too much hassle, but never again am I choosing rogers as my internet provider.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/67368768.png This is what I get in the evenings and most afternoons.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2098283637.png Evenings for 32 mbps dl / 1 mpbs ul connection

I'm Here A Lot

Got back from vacation and still 1 week later and nothing has improved. Calling rogers tomorrow in fury. Why do all Canadian ISPs have to be so crappy, and im pretty sure we all know why too.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It's not just canadian ones, I have many friends who live in the us, who complain even more with some of the us ones Smiley Sad

I'm Here A Lot

I am literally ripping my hair out. Got you cant get any straight answer or anything done with rogers tech support. First lady i called didnt know what ping was, put me on hold and then hung up on me and the second guy didnt knwo what pings were either and said that he couldnt do anything cause my speeds are fine. God speed and ping are totally different. Still cant play any online game, let alone when my ping is fine and hour later it spikes way up and down or stays high for over an hour.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am wondering if you are in a highly throttled area.

While rogers has agreed to remove all throttling by the end of 2012, there are still many area's where its still active.

From what i have gained from people who HAVE been throttled.. their speeds have not been effected, but their latency with the games has been, which sounds very much like what you are experiencing.

Not that this helps resolve it Smiley Sad

Just to help iliminate it.. have you had a tech out to check the lines, signal strengths, etc, just in case?
Swapped the boxes?

I'm Here A Lot

I am still in a throttled area, i checked with that tool on rogers site where you enter you postal code. i know that some of my games are p2p, but the thing is is that i have only experienced this issue over the past week and a half. I will prob have a tech get sent out by the end of the week. Its odd, at the beginning of this, i had high ping throughout the whole day, now it is very unconnsistent and like a curve, goes up and down daily.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No pattern though with the ups and downs?

IE only after 8pm?

Just trying to iliminate an oversold usage area, etc..

When you make the call to get the tech out, may wan to see if they can have him have a new modem (if your renting), with him.

Oh, how are you connecting to the 3825?