cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling DMZ

dbutcher2
I've been here awhile

Hello,

This should be fairly straightforward, tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Find my WANIP address using whatismyip.com (done)
Open Ignite HomeConnect --> Connect --> View WiFi equipment --> advanced settings --> DMZ -->

Select enable (done)
Provide IP address of a local device (done)

I still cannot connect remotely on anything. (RDP, HTTPS, HTTP etc). I would rather not have to use port forwarding if I can avoid it. I have no problems connecting to the device locally, but remotely using the WAN IP it's a no-go so far.

What am I missing?

**Labels Added**

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Enabling DMZ

Joel13
I plan to stick around

I know that this doesn't add anything to the conversation, but why would you prefer to do a DMZ vs a port forwarding? I personally use a VPN on my network so I have complete access to everything in my home network and I have also never had any issues with port forwarding with RDP or anything else like that. 

Joel Gallant
photography.joelgallant.ca
vero.co/joelgallant

dbutcher2
I've been here awhile

I'd love to use port forwarding, however here is the incredibly helpful message I get when attempting to configure it:Screenshot_20230528-093618.pngScreenshot_20230528-093633.png

I figured I'd put something in the DMZ as a stop-gap measure as I figure out what's wrong with port forwarding. If there are any logs or error messages that are a little more specific than "we're having trouble" that might help 🙂

Joel13
I plan to stick around

I've also had issues with the mobile app trying to do port forwarding and would simply keep pressing the try again and eventually it would work or even reboot the modem and then try again with a fresh connection. 

The other thing that I noticed is that your wifi & 5G connection in the screenshot are looking week or disconnected. Could that be related? 

Joel Gallant
photography.joelgallant.ca
vero.co/joelgallant

dbutcher2
I've been here awhile

I've rebooted the modem and I'm spammed 'try again' but no luck. DMZ simply not working either.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dbutcher2 wrote:

I've rebooted the modem and I'm spammed 'try again' but no luck. DMZ simply not working either.

Sorry, but I'm not in a currently in a configuration where I can even try to test enabling DMZ.

I know that there are some ports where you cannot configure port-forwarding, especially if those ports are being used by services internal to the Ignite Gateway, and Rogers also sometimes blocks certain ports on their network.

As for DMZ, I am not aware of any brokenness.  However, one limitation is that NAT reflection (aka NAT loopback / hairpinning) can be wonky... so, while it is possible to enable DMZ, you (sometimes / most of the time?) cannot make any connections from (some) hosts on the internal network to the public IP address of the DMZ'ed host.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation