Enable Guest Mode on Ignite TV Modem/Router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SonnyTheMoney
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Enable Guest Mode on Ignite TV Modem/Router

How to Set up Separate Guest WiFi CGM4140COM Gateway. I want to set up a separate SSID for guests. I do not want them connecting to my secured home network. I see the guest account in the Ignite WiFi app, but no way to set up the actual WiFi. In other words I don't want guest to require my network password. I want to set up and be able to regularly change my guest access.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SonnyTheMoney  Welcome to the Community!

FYI, others have asked for this feature as well: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Enable-Guest-Mode-on-Ignite-TV-Modem-Router/m-p/4526...

Comcast, unfortunately, will probably never implement guest WiFi networks on the XB6.  Instead, they enable public WiFi hotspots on their customers' XB6 gateways that guests can use for Internet connectivity.

CrimsonTiger
I've Been Here Awhile

-G-

Is there a thread or link on how to add/configure that second router into the XB6? Just got my CGM4141 and impressed so far but guest control would be helpful. Intermediate networking knowledge here, so hopefully not having to flash the second unit?
Cgarnis
I've Been Here Awhile

Has this been fixed yet?
Cgarnis
I've Been Here Awhile

Is this still an issue a year later?
jj59
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes! My building just installed Bell fibre to my unit and I’m seriously considering switching.
Don_Ca
I'm a Reliable Contributor

It has not changed. However Covid has, so I suspect your need for Guest wifi has dropped at bit with fewer guests.
CrimsonTiger
I've Been Here Awhile

Not really... I mean, yes COVID means fewer guests. But it won't last forever, and restrictions will eventually ease. Even if we just keep our group to inlaws and family visiting, there are still tweens and teens visiting I'd prefer to keep out of my network files. Not that they're malicious, but generally curiousity overcomes respect for privacy...
jj59
I Plan to Stick Around

Of course I don’t have guests now but that doesn’t mean I don’t need the functionality. An acceptable alternative would also simply be for them to fully deactivate wifi so that I can use my own router without signal or other compatibility issues. Currently signals remain active even if you place it into bridge mode.
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

FYI, we do not have Guest WiFi on the XB6 because Comcast implemented a different solution for their customers: Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspots

The advantage with their approach is that guests' network traffic goes out on a different logical connection from the customer's Internet traffic, so Comcast can track it separately and guest traffic does not get counted in a customer's data usage.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/help-guests-get-online

It is also possible that something might be changing in Comcast-land because come December 17, 2020, Xfinity WiFi On Demand passes will no longer be available for purchase.   That would mean no guest WiFi for non-Comcast customers.

I don't know why they are doing this.  Perhaps the WiFi passes were not the cash cow that they had hoped it would be... or... they are just closing a loophole where Comcast customers started using free Xfinity WiFi passes when they hit their data caps... or... perhaps Comcast has buckled from all the pressure and will FINALLY allow their users (and their Cable Co customers' customers) to just simply configure a separate Guest WiFi network.