cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable Guest Mode on Ignite TV Modem/Router

jj59
I plan to stick around

How to enable guest mode on new rogers Ignite TV modem/router?

**Labels Added**

100 REPLIES 100

Re: Enable Guest Mode on Ignite TV Modem/Router

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DougW, Rogers Ignite system, including modems and tv set top boxes are licenced copies of Comcast's Xfinity system, including modems and tv set top boxes.  Comcast believes that every internet user in the U.S. should be a Comcast customer, who can then use the modem's hotspot capability wherever they go.  So, since all U.S. users are supposed to be Comcast customers, there's no need for guest wifi capability in their modems.  Ergo, comment out the existing firmware code.  And .... since Comcast customers don't or can't have guest capability in the modems, neither can the licencees of Comcast equipment, including Rogers, Shaw and any other ISP.  Guess we're all supposed to be Comcast customers with access to the hotspots, which the modems are supposed to run.  

DougW
I plan to stick around
Just lovely!
Without guest wifi, is there any way, when a guest in my house connects a laptop or phone to my Rogers wifi, to insure that it can't see or access my devices (pc, phone, nas drive, printer, etc)?

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

No. If you need a guest wifi, bridge the rogers modem and use your own router with guest mode.

DougW
I plan to stick around
According to what I have read, if I put my Rogers Ignite device in bridge mode, the Home Connect app and my TVs won't work. True?

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Home connect app will not be needed because you are not longer be using Rogers router functionality.

TV will continue to work fine. When creating Wifi on new router make the SSID and password the same as what was on the Rogers router before you bridged it.

I have had my Rogers modem in bridge mode since day 1 of rogers introducing Ignite tv, got it within a week of introduction.  Never any problems with TV boxes.

DougW
I plan to stick around
Sorry for all the questions...but are the TVs connected to Rogers or my router? Is the Rogers box then just a modem? Are all my devices connected to my router? Why do I need to have the same network name & password?
Thanks

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

All devices will then connect to YOUR router. Same SSID and password will make it easier for the TV boxes to connect and save you from reconnecting to a new wifi, that's all. You don't need the same SSID just need to receonnect the boxes manually after new router is setup. The TV boxes still validate themselves to the rogers modem via a hidden SSID which can not be disabled. Unless of course you have connected your boxes via CAT5 cabling.

If new wifi SSID then: On the remote hold down the exit button for 5 seconds, then down arrow twice and then type 9434 (it spells WIFI) should bring you into the wifi settings for the Xi6.  There you can select the wifi SSID to connect to.

And yes the Rogers modem is just a modem now and not in gateway mode.

DougW
I plan to stick around

I connected only my router to the rogers one.  The SSID on Rogers is ABCDEFG1 and the SSID on my router is ABCDEFG.  

I turned on the Bridge mode on the Rogers modem and it then told me there was no internet.  So, I switched back.

I thought that maybe they should have the same SSID, so I changed my router to ABCDEFG1. That worked, but now I cannot access my router (192.168.0.1). Is that because they now have the same SSID?  Should I  just go ahead now and put the Rogers one into Bridge mode?

DougW
I plan to stick around

I just put the Rogers modem into bridge mode and everything seems to work. I can access both routers.

But when I look on a laptop or a phone, there are 2 internet SSIDs that are exactly the same. Is that ok?

How do I tell which one is which?

DougW
I plan to stick around

Maybe I need to turn wifi OFF on the Rogers modem?

DougW
I plan to stick around
Everything seems to be working except now I have two identically-named SSIDs. Can't tell which is which. Do I need to turn off wifi on rogers modem? How will that affect my TVs?
Thanks

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Did you put the rogers modem in bridge mode? Sounds like It is not. So now you have an extra router attached to it and are doing double NAT.

Ensure the rogers modem in bridge mode this will shut off the user accessible wifi.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DougW when you kick the modem into bridge mode, you need to reboot the router at the same time.  That will allow the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) to assign a Wide Area Network (WAN) IP address to the router.  The modem will be invisible to any trace at this point. 

You should be able to log into the modem (in bridge mode) by using 10.0.0.1 as the modems IP address.  That is done thru the router.  I've never seen this work, however @-G- doesn't seem to have any problem with this.  By logging into the modem when its in Bridge mode, you should be able to kick it back into Gateway mode, if and when that is required.  

Note that Rogers doesn't support a modem & router configuration, so, if you run into any issues, you would need to kick the modem back into Gateway mode for troubleshooting with tech support.

DougW
I plan to stick around

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

I believe that everything is now working as you suggested and as I expected.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

You should be able to log into the modem (in bridge mode) by using 10.0.0.1 as the modems IP address.  That is done thru the router.  I've never seen this work, however @-G- doesn't seem to have any problem with this.  By logging into the modem when its in Bridge mode, you should be able to kick it back into Gateway mode, if and when that is required.  

Some devices have firewall rulesets in place that block packets with private (RFC1918) source or destination addresses from egressing the WAN interface.  (They may also employ other tricks as well that accomplish the same task of preventing any such packets from escaping onto the public Internet.)  If that is the case with your router/firewall, you will not be able to access the Ignite Gateway's web admin UI unless you can make changes to its default config.

Hi, it's been 4 years and Rogers has no intentions of including a Guest wireless. I'll put this in $ for the accountants driving decisions. I was going to rent a rogers mesh pod for $10 a month but without a guest network, I won't be doing that. 

Customer Experience is everything. I will remember this, Rogers...

Hello, @whateverserious 

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can understand your desire for a gust network for Wi-Fi. Regrettably, there is no option for a traditional guest network at this time. We appreciate your feedback on the lack of this feature. 

RogersTony

Topic Stats