Enable Guest Mode on Ignite TV Modem/Router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bplayer
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Enable Guest Mode on Ignite TV Modem/Router

@Eddiepetsaid/asked:

"This is getting far too complex." Networking can be complex or a simple approach can be used. Rogers Ignite provides a simple approach, but allows a complex configuration to be implemented. If you want simple then ditch your other router and forget about Guest mode. If you must have Guest mode then install Ignite, get all your devices converted over to the new network. Then ethernet connect your old router for Guest mode. This is a simple plus configuration.

"this tells me that plugging a wired XBox, or an unmanaged ethernet switch into the ETH2 port is entirely out of the question....is it?" Not sure where you found this but it is completely inaccurate. The Ignite router has two ethernet ports that can be used for any wired devices. If you need more wired ports then a switch can be added (and Rogers can provide).

The technology was inherited from Comcast and they had a different strategy for roaming users. Assume that this will not change and there is no software/firmware solution on the horizon. An equipment solutions exists. It is using a secondary router as stated above... simple and easy. If you need Guest mode and only use a single router then switch to another provider.

Eddiepet
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Bplayer.  I found that warning not to connect anything to ETH2 (after plugging my own router into ETH1) in Step 2 on the detailed advice on the second post in this thread regarding Bridge Mode which another user in this thread referred me to.   Is some of the advice on here not as good as other advice?

Solved: Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode - Rogers Community

all4
I've Been Here Awhile

Agreed, This should not cost the consumer for a basic feature that regularly should be in a default setting of a Model/Router!
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Eddiepet wrote:

Thanks Bplayer.  I found that warning not to connect anything to ETH2 (after plugging my own router into ETH1) in Step 2 on the detailed advice on the second post in this thread regarding Bridge Mode which another user in this thread referred me to.   Is some of the advice on here not as good as other advice?

Solved: Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode - Rogers Community

If you enable Bridge Mode on the Ignite gateway, then the Ethernet ports will have a direct, un-firewalled connection to the Internet.  In this configuration, your router should be plugged into ETH1 and you should not have any devices or switches plugged into ETH2.  Any devices on your home network should connect through your router.

If Bridge Mode is disabled, which is the default configuration, then you can use both Ethernet ports on the Ignite gateway and you can either connect devices directly or through an Ethernet switch.

Note that the ETH2 port also has the following special configuration option:

Associate Ethernet Port 2 to HOME SECURITY Network:  🔲

Note: Associating Ethernet Port 2 to HOME SECURITY network will remove the port from your home network.

If this option is enabled, then you cannot use ETH2 for general device connectivity as this port will not be on the same logical network segment as ETH1 and WiFi networks.

Eddiepet
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks RE-G-    That's much more enlightening.  I appreciate the extra explanation.   What's your opinion....am I going to get screwed by trying to run my own router without bridging?  Seems this XB6 service is always just one surprise after another as I dig into it.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Eddiepet wrote:

Thanks RE-G-    That's much more enlightening.  I appreciate the extra explanation.   What's your opinion....am I going to get screwed by trying to run my own router without bridging?  Seems this XB6 service is always just one surprise after another as I dig into it.

If you need support for a guest network, the easiest way to accomplish this is to purchase an inexpensive Wi-Fi Access Point and use that to provide your guests with Internet connectivity.  A router that supports "AP mode" will suffice.  In that configuration you won't need to worry about any double-NAT issues, and revoking access or disabling the guest network when they leave is as easy as unplugging a power cord.  Use the Ignite gateway for connecting your own devices, and there is no need to enable Bridge Mode on the XB6.  One limitation of this solution is that you will not be able to "fence off" systems and devices on your home network from your guests.

Eddiepet
I Plan to Stick Around

@-G-    OK, thanks for that limitation.  I think that with the answers I've got so far, I've distilled the network topography to the following four options....before I call up and ask to switch over, am I missing any other options?  Maybe others will find the diagrams I built below worthwhile....I did.  Each comes with its own limitations and shortfalls, but I think cascading from #1 down will find me a solution before I get to #4.    Any issues? 

1. Status quo, no Ignite
  2. Simple Hitron to Ignite gateway substitution without bridging
  3. Hitron to Ignite gateway substitution with bridging 
  4. Home network on Ignite, private password on personal guest network.

RogersSlide1.jpg

RogersSlide2.jpg

RogersSlide3.jpg

RogersSlide4.jpg

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Eddiepet When you enable Bridge Mode on the XB6, it disables WiFi for the internal network, so the Ignite set-top boxes would not be able to connect to the XB6 over WiFi and Option 3 would not function as diagrammed.  However, it is possible to connect the set-top boxes to your own router's Wi-Fi.

FYI, here's how my current configuration works: I have a router (running OpenWrt) and am using business-grade APs for Wi-Fi.  On that AP, I can set up multiple SSIDs on the 2.4 and 5GHz bands.

On my XB6, I initially set WiFi up and connect the Ignite set-top boxes.  While I have the opportunity to do so, I set WiFi channels in such a way that they minimize interference with channels that would be used in my immediate area.  That's a fully-supported configuration that I can fall back to whenever I require support from Rogers.

In my day-to-day configuration, I replicate that Rogers SSID on my own AP and run the XB6 bridged.  I also have other SSIDs set up on my APs.  When I put the XB6 into bridge mode, Wi-Fi gets disabled and the set-top boxes lose connectivity; I then enable the "Rogers SSID" on my APs, reboot the set-top boxes, and after they restart they simply connect to my AP.

If I should ever need support from Rogers, I disable the "Rogers SSID" on my APs, disable Bridge Mode on the XB6, reboot my set-top boxes, and I'm back to a Rogers-supported configuration; one that looks like Option 2 in your diagram.

jj59
I Plan to Stick Around

I thought even if you put it into bridge mode the XB6 still leaves it’s wifi on; or at least some “secret” wifi signals still on which can conflict with your primary wifi router??
Eddiepet
I Plan to Stick Around

@-G-   Thanks.  Sorry.....information is starting to melt together....I've read too many threads here lately (so I won't be able to find the reference), but I'm sure that a number of users have said that the set-top boxes continue to function wirelessly (on "hidden" SSIDs that stay on) even after wifi is disabled on the XB6 (i.e. "bridging").  Is this not the case?  Are we sure that we need to do the gymnastics to make them all take their signal from my personal wifi?