Enable Guest Mode on Ignite TV Modem/Router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eddiepet
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Enable Guest Mode on Ignite TV Modem/Router

Glad I thought to look for this answer just before pulling the trigger on an "upgrade" to Ignite.  Not having a network for guests is not an upgrade, it's a liability.  No sale.  Putting the new modem into bridge mode so you can run your own network kills off the wireless set top boxes, so again, that's not the upgrade it's made out to be.  No sale.   Thanks to all the contributors.

Bplayer
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@EddiepetYou do not have to put the Ignite router into bridge mode to use a second router for guest mode or IOT devices that you would like separate from your primary network. I repurposed an old router that I had sitting around for this purpose. No changes to the primary and everything works fine.

You can pickup a perfectly suitable used ASUS router for under $50.

jj59
I Plan to Stick Around

The point is you shouldn’t have to do that. You are already paying good money for service and you are forced to use Rogers modem/router. I shouldn’t have to pay more to get my system to work especially with Rogers saying they are pro-security and their big push for the best wifi out there.
Biollw

"Putting the new modem into bridge mode so you can run your own network kills off the wireless set top boxes"

No it does not kill wireless Xi6 boxes. Running that way now.

randomthoughts2
I'm Here A Lot

It's really just an annoyance piled up with the other functionalities that are missing that most other services (including Rogers non-Ignite) have. Yes, I can run in bridge mode but I'd really rather not have another device running.
-guest network
-setting DNS for DHCP
-device whitelist (which used to be available as late as December when they removed it!)

I really do like the Ignite TV service, but the Internet is annoying... I have to confess, between price and functionality, I would definitely consider Fibe.  Ignite TV is the only thing that prevents it from being a no-brainer.

Eddiepet
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for those inputs.  So you're saying I can just unplug my Rogers legacy modem, put the new Ignite box on the shelf, plug my existing Linksysy wifi router/AP into the back of the Ignite box, and my networks and IOT devices will work just fine in regular gateway mode?  AND the wireless set top boxes will work? Seems to be a hideous amount of contradictory writing on this thread and on the "alternate connections" discussion thread.  What about wifi channel selections?  

randomthoughts2
I'm Here A Lot

Well... it's not difficult, but it's not straight forward either, unfortunately.  You'll have to do some configuration on the Ignite box and some configuration on your router, but you should be able to get everything working.

This seems comprehensive: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Using-the-Ignite-TV-Modem-Gateway-in-Bridge-Mode/td-...

Bplayer

@EddiepetYes, just replacing the legacy modem with the Ignite router will work, but there are some limitations.

This is called a double NAT configuration (search the internet if you need more details). In summary:

- all your existing devices should continue to work the way they currently do using the WiFi from the Linksys router (except as noted below)

- your Ignite TV boxes, if WiFi connected, will use the WiFi from the Ignite router

- logging into the Ignite router over WiFi must be done from the Ignite WiFi, not the Linksys

- online games, opening specific port, VPN or visiting specific SSL sites could be affected

- you may need to avoid conflicts between the WiFi bands used by each router

Advanced users will start with the basics above and verify that everything works, then reconfigure the Ignite router to bridge mode and relink the Ignite TV boxes to the Linksys WiFI. There are lots of posts here on how to do this.

Eddiepet
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, Bplayer.  This is getting far too complex.  I'm looking for a service, not a puzzle to solve.  It's been my experience that anything that gives an ISP an excuse to say "oh, we neither support nor recommend that configuration" is just asking for trouble....and the link to bridge mode solutions in the reply above is quite clear about that.

Really, I'm just looking for a way to have a guest network in the house.  I don't even mind using the Ignite wifi.   Since TV and wifi had separate boxes, there were no consequences a couple of years ago to putting my "legacy" (Hitron) modem in bridge mode, so that was the easy solution to keep my private network & guest network intact.

But when I read things in the bridge mode thread above that (on top of discouraging using bridge mode as a solution) say "DO NOT connect any devices other than your router to the Ignite modem/gateway", this tells me that plugging a wired XBox, or an unmanaged ethernet switch into the ETH2 port is entirely out of the question....is it?  Or is that just an incomplete reminder that if I plug something in there, it won't be available through my own router?

This added layer of complexity is really very discouraging, and is quite effectively steering me away from this "upgrade".  This needs to be far simpler for people who are not "advanced users" or networking experts and who just don't want guests and relatives snooping through home networks with personal and work files on them.  Would Rogers HQ want visitors to their offices reading what's on their corporate networks?  Or would they provide guests with another network to use?  Come on, man, how could they not think that other users would want the same privacy in their own homes?  I know from spending the last week reading about it here that I'm not the only person who feels this way, and not the only person disappointed with the inflexibility of the "service" that's being billed as an "upgrade".

What are the chances that a software or equipment solution is on the horizon that will get sorted out soon?  Does the XB7 have a guest network?  Or am I going to be pushed to search for a new ISP/cableco?

jj59
I Plan to Stick Around

This has been an issue for over a year. I even contacted the office of the president over the issue. Only reason I stayed is because they gave me a great deal in compensation of loss of functionality that wasn’t disclosed (and the pandemic means no guests). once the pandemic is over I will definitely be looking into fibe.