cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email size

djr1
I've been here awhile

How do I determine overall email size I am sending with attachments?  I already know size of attachments.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Email size

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

An e-mail takes up almost no memory when compared to a 10MB attachment. For example, I just saved a 400 word e-mail to my desktop and it only took 12kB, or about 1/1000 of the attachment.

Edit - I have a few additional comments:

Many corporations have a limit on file size, but 10MB is quite low and arbitrary.  Perhaps if you contact them, they could raise it to 25MB or something...

If you have several attachments, send them in separate e-mails.

Have you "compressed" the attachments?

Use Cloud Storage?

https://www.howtogeek.com/171328/how-to-send-large-files-over-email/

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RogersMoin

Hello, @djr1.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. Are you using an email client like Outlook etc.? If you already know the size of the attachment; then the size of the text would be a few kilobytes. 

Is there a specific reason you want to know the size of the email? Please elaborate so that the Community can respond with more accuracy. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

djr1
I've been here awhile

No I am not using Outlook, just Rogers email.

I am sending application for refugee sponsorship to Immigration Canada and they have a 10 MB size limit on email.  I know the attachment sizes, and am close to the limit, and need to know how much the total size will be - attachments plus the email that the attachments will be attached to.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

An e-mail takes up almost no memory when compared to a 10MB attachment. For example, I just saved a 400 word e-mail to my desktop and it only took 12kB, or about 1/1000 of the attachment.

Edit - I have a few additional comments:

Many corporations have a limit on file size, but 10MB is quite low and arbitrary.  Perhaps if you contact them, they could raise it to 25MB or something...

If you have several attachments, send them in separate e-mails.

Have you "compressed" the attachments?

Use Cloud Storage?

https://www.howtogeek.com/171328/how-to-send-large-files-over-email/

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation