Email POP Certificate not valid anymore pop.broadband.rogers.com

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Email POP Certificate not valid anymore pop.broadband.rogers.com

I was doing some testing of Eurodora as it got asked elsewhere - There is an FAQ at http://www.rogers.com/web/support/internet/email/87?setLanguage=en

that explains the setups and definitely, you have to have the full email address, not just the old user name.

This is an old post from about 2007, so not sure why it kept working for some.

On all of my devices, the email clients are smart enough to check what service and settings are managing a domain address and the new Eurodora set it to the yahoo site, not Rogers.

I did test the new Eurodora on the Rogers email MX server address, and it worked fine as long as I put the full email address in.

You have to wonder why they don't just kill the rogers mx email server and just push it all over to Yahoo, since that is what al the clients are doing anyway, for Pop or IMAP.  Maybe they are doing just that with the expired server, and the problems that it is now creating - maybe the old setup finally got killed entirely and now it is actually just pushing over to Yahoo through a redirection of the MX rogers email server settings.

Just a guess.

But at least we know how to work around it.

Time for Rogers to update the FAQ's to include modern clients and cell phone soft client email apps that set the connection directly to Yahoo, whether pop or Imap.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I found that on  Android, I had to set the incoming server to yahoo, and the inbound to the rogers one.  

Really weird - Rogers tech really do need to take a serious look at this and do some testing on various devices and get clear instructions passed to the forum, and update the FAQ.

If you are struggling, work with tech support to get through this one.  You may have to try alternative setups.

My own personal feeling - get off Yahoo as fast as you can.

Bruce

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Had the same issue with outlook and finally figured it out.  Open your account settings and check the "Logon Information".  The "User Name" field used to take only the portion of you email address before the "@" it now requires the complete email address.

Updated mine to add the "@rogers.com" and voila working email again.

I've Been Around

This worked for me as well. Finally got my gmail working properly.  I should also add that adding @rogers.com to my username did not resolve this issue by itself.  Had to change the pop server name as well. 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

There is definitely something a bix messed up on the MX and redirection features of the original broadband.rogers email server, the user names and we are all ending up having to tinker to get it to work - someone on Rogers end (Hello Rogers email server team) needs to contact Yahoo and clean up this mess.

I hadn't run into it, because I was on IMAP, and my cell phone from Rogers actually populated the fields in IMAP, but when I tried to do it on POP, you see the strange setup I had to do with the two different In and Out servers to get it to work.  I knew about the user name having to be @rogers from a long time ago when I got a new computer.

Me thinks it is time to Yahoo to dump the broadband.rogers MX address and redirect for email and just treat @rogers as a domain of email that goes to Yahoo.

Or as I have suggested, how about Rogers just dump Yahoo and get out of the email business - they market it being so wonderful that you can get up to 9 emails.  The reality is that if you can create unlimited emails amongst your family and for various groups or companies, you administer, and my kids get their own - I don't want to manage other people's emails.

Glad people are figuring this out - wonder if tech support understands this one yet?

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I'm back!! And not happy about it. After spending 3 days not being able to use Rogers email on computers - pop version, but could use Rogers email on iPhones - imap version - iIT HAS NOW SWITCHED!!! Now we cannot use our emails on our phones - keeps asking for password - I enter them, doesn't accept them! I know it's right - they work on out computers, and I just changed them in the last few days with all the trouble on the computer emails!!

This is so unbelievable annoying! I just do not want to have to spend hours trying to figure out this next stage of email woes!!

Anyone else having this issue? It just started a short while ago.

Thanks,

Deborah

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@thefrenchs wrote:

I'm back!! And not happy about it. After spending 3 days not being able to use Rogers email on computers - pop version, but could use Rogers email on iPhones - imap version - iIT HAS NOW SWITCHED!!! Now we cannot use our emails on our phones - keeps asking for password - I enter them, doesn't accept them! I know it's right - they work on out computers, and I just changed them in the last few days with all the trouble on the computer emails!!

This is so unbelievable annoying! I just do not want to have to spend hours trying to figure out this next stage of email woes!!

Anyone else having this issue? It just started a short while ago.

Thanks,

Deborah

Yes I have seen a few pop-ups from my Outlook 2016 email client and i just check the box and continue, it happens from time time and i don't think it has anything to do with this issue.

Microsoft® MVP Windows Insider - Windows Security
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I just got off the phone with Rogers tech support, and they said to have pop.broadband.rogers.com as the incoming mail server, which I originally had when I first saw the certificate error about a week ago.  I switched back to this, and also unchecked the "Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)", which I did have checked before, but no luck.  I had the full email address in all along.

In sending a test mail to myself in the webmail app, things go through fine.  I am using MS Outlook 2016.  What else is left to try?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@BillyBob2000 wrote:

I just got off the phone with Rogers tech support, and they said to have pop.broadband.rogers.com as the incoming mail server, which I originally had when I first saw the certificate error about a week ago.  I switched back to this, and also unchecked the "Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)", which I did have checked before, but no luck.  I had the full email address in all along.

In sending a test mail to myself in the webmail app, things go through fine.  I am using MS Outlook 2016.  What else is left to try?

POP settings in Outlook.

2017-02-07_18-42-48.png

2017-02-07_18-43-46.png

2017-02-07_18-44-04.png 

Microsoft® MVP Windows Insider - Windows Security
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the response.  

I do have those settings being matched on my end, but still no luck.