I would like to suggest that if it hasn't been done yet, that Rogers add this to its support search on line and FAQ's and and email burst would may be warrented.
For those who call in for support based upon the successful suggestions here, mention to them to do these updates in information on their end. The forum should not be the first and primary resource for support, but it often feels that way.
Just a suggestion.
Any email setup document you pull up on the support site clearly states that the "user name" is to be the FULL email address. Don't know what year this changed but I've been here for 2 1/2 years and it has been true for that long. A judging from the call queue yesterday and the number of related calls I took myself, the first line of resource has been the phone line. Would have preferred going home early instead of steady phone calls. LOL
Right on. Well said. I'll try ANYTHING before calling Rogers Tech Support as a last resort and for the incredibly long wait in a call queue resulting in no help. Thanks to this community forum.
Any email setup document you pull up on the support site clearly states that the "user name" is to be the FULL email address.
Although the full user name has been stated for a while, people are not likely to change their setups until something goes wrong or until they receive formal notice from Rogers (which was not done). The last notice from Rogers was the SSL notice over 3 years ago when the short user name was still accepted.
Also, the setup documents DO NOT (and still do not) discuss changing the incoming server to "pop.mail.yahoo.com", which was necessary for some users to get their clients working properly. The Rogers link clearly shows a different incoming server:
(I do realize that many people are on IMAP, however, many are also on POP and sometimes for good reason (like using a single computer/device)
Thank you for posting this. It's been an awkward week with this surprise and I appreciate your putting the solution up. I tried adding 'like' to the post but nothing seems to happen when I click the button. This whole event was pretty frustrating.
I can't believe it, I've had this problem for 3 days and I was told by Rogers to delete email account and reinstall!! I just saw your email while on hold with Rogers - yet again, tried your suggestion - added @rogers.com and it worked!!
I am running Outlook 2010.
I tried each/both of the two suggested fixes:
1) Adding rogers.com to the email account user name
2) changing the incoming mail server from: pop.broadband.rogers.com
and neither worked for me....so, I called rogers tech support and discovered through them that if the two fixes above don't work ....then likely that your anti-virus program is the culprit. They have had problems with Norton and Kapersky. I am running Bitdefender antivirus. The fix for me involved:
1) Close outlook
2) Turning off my Bitdefender antivirus
3) open outlook .... & voila, my email worked again for all 7 of my email accounts
4) Turn on my bitdefender anti virus program protections
5) go back into outlook and email still working.
Don't know much about computers but the issue with the antivirus program(s) has to do with assigned ports etc ??
In any event if you haven't had success with getting your Outlook back up and running...I would recommend trying the above[ Turning off whatever anti-virus program you are using....open outlook to ensre email works....turn your anti-virus program back on]
Rogers tech support did confirm that:
1) the user name issue needs to be fixed (to add rogers.com), and
2) The incoming server should be: pop.broadband.rogers.com ---notwithstanding some have aparently had success modifying this field also.
Good luck.....& thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences here.
Finally, after changing the server to pop.mail.yahoo.com and adding the @rogers.com to my user name, I was able to retrieve my email on mac mail.
I have had the same problems as described on this thread. I have fixed my Outlook (2010) by adding the @rogers.com to my username as was suggested and then I fixed GMail by changing the pop server to pop.mail.yahoo.com. So I'm all up and running again. Tried to communicate with the Chat support people about the SSL error and well that was a complete waste of time.
Left a complaint about the level of education of the support people on the rogers site and they did try and contact me but I will doubt that they really know what is going on although fixing a certificate on a mail server seems pretty trivial to me.
Anyway thanks to those who posted possible solutions on this thread they helped me.
Unfortunately pop.mail.yahoo.com does not work on my Android phone.
For a mobile device I would highly suggest using IMAP over POP, that way if your device resets/stolen/breaks, etc. you wont loose your e-mails.
Settings for POP and IMAP can be found here: