Email POP Certificate not valid anymore pop.broadband.rogers.com

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Email POP Certificate not valid anymore pop.broadband.rogers.com

I am in Oshawa and for three days my email did not work. I found the answer on this forum. I use outlook and in the box for username I had not put @rogers.com after it and had used it in that format for a long time. It seems to me that maybe rogers mad a cerificate change that screwed things up.  Thanks to the post above for the solution.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Triple_Helix  Thanks for continuting to keep this question to the forefront.

I have become one of those who is not wating for any response - I am quickly shutting it down as fast as I can get my email addresses changed.  Doesn't remove the risk that my information may have been compromised, but at least I won't be getting any new information captured.  

Here is a recent article on the Toronto Star https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/09/23/rogers-email-users-warned-in-massive-yahoo-data-hack.htm...

So on a basic level, that I can find anyway, almost nothing has been said by Rogers, accept use strong password practices and change them frequently - but that doesn't deal with the reality that over a billion of customer accounts many of who were Rogers customers were possibly compromised by a trojen that was on the Yahoo servers for many years undetected.

There is a two level security level provided by Yahoo now (you will have to search that one) - I haven't done it - my goal is just get off of it totally.

When done, I will close the rogers/yahoo account, then arrange to get it off as my user name, as Rogers forced us all to go to our email as user name across the range of services.

So to the question - Can you tell us Rogers users if our emails were hacked like what has been reported many times? 

It seems that no straight answer is being given, accept for the media reports of the possible risk to Rogers clients, so we are still in the dark.  Reporting has mostly been media, the three Yahoo reports posted, and little from Rogers that I am aware of, and I can assure you I have asked.

My advise, is get off them as quickly as possible since no one seems to want to take responsibility to make us confident that our information is safe and what is being done.

But do keep asking the question. and I have been working my way through escalation once in a while to see if I can get a straight answer.  Keep asking.

Bruce

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Apparently adding '@rogers.com' to your user name in account settings will fix the problem.  I tried it and it seemed to work for me.  Why Rogers can't simply relay this fix quickly is beyond me.  I had to find this tidbit on another forum.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@gilligan1961 wrote:

Apparently adding '@rogers.com' to your user name in account settings will fix the problem.  I tried it and it seemed to work for me.  Why Rogers can't simply relay this fix quickly is beyond me.  I had to find this tidbit on another forum.

That fix is posted all throughout this thread. Unfortunately, the majority of users are incapable of performing the operation and require assistance in applying the fix. For those that can, great. For those that can't, they can either go to echat.rogers .com or call 1-855-381-7839 for assitance.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

My apologies. I did not see to the end of the thread. If I'd had the newest posts showing first I would have seen the resolution.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A while back I added the "@rogers.com" to my username. That allowed me to use my client (Outlook for Mac 2011), but I was still getting the certificate error message and had to click "continue" on it.

Today I changed my incoming server to "pop.mail.yahoo.com" and everything works as before - no more certificate pop-up.  (I prefer to run POP instead of IMAP due to the way I use e-mail on a single desktop computer.)

If anyone wishes to perform similar changes, I suggest you take a screenshot of your current settings, in case things don't work out for you, or in case Rogers does something in the near future to "mess things up" so that you can change things back...

Thank you to those people who have posted these helpful hints. Why Rogers is unable to properly address these issues for their many customers is beyond me.  They should be sending appropriate e-mails to every Rogers internet customer, the way they did for the SSL update about 3 years ago.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Bless you! Bless you! Bless you! May all your lottery tickets be winners!

A simple fix, but I would never have thought of it, having used these settings for many years.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

This incident does go to show me how poor the rogers help service is you cant get through, you get the run around, they dont know, and some member of the public figured it out by experiment. Change control 101 not followed on some new roll out.  Still they dont have a good response, I bet 90% of their customers still having problems.

I've Been Around

I agree.  I too am using Outlook and was getting the pop-up security certificate warning screen.  A simple change in my Outlook account settings for the Rogers e-mail logon worked ---> i.e. change the incoming server from "pop.broadband.rogers.com" to "pop.mail.yahoo.com" and everything works.  No other changes to my e-mail account settings were required.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I would like to suggest that if it hasn't been done yet, that Rogers add this to its support search on line and FAQ's and and email burst would may be warrented.

For those who call in for support based upon the successful suggestions here, mention to them to do these updates in information on their end.  The forum should not be the first and primary resource for support, but it often feels that way.

Just a suggestion.

Bruce