Email POP Certificate not valid anymore pop.broadband.rogers.com

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Email POP Certificate not valid anymore pop.broadband.rogers.com

As the Rogers email system is actually hosted by yahoo this may be why you are receiving messages from yahoo

I use pop to pick up emails on my iPhone and I'm getting the same server errors. I have finer control of where my emails are and how to remove emails from multiple devices than with imap
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I noticed this issue today when I got home, I had my E-Mail client using "POP" I changed it to "IMAP" and now it's working. I also changed my password at the same time. I'm using the built in Mail App on Mac OS Sierra.

I Plan to Stick Around

If I change it to IMAP do I have to change it back to POP once this is resolved? Or can I leave it at IMAP for good
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Leave it on IMAP. POP is an older method used to access e-mail, IMAP is a much more modern protocol, here is a link that explains things further.

http://www.pop2imap.com

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Same settings just IMAP I take it?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

IMAP Settings

Incoming Server

imap.mail.yahoo.com

Incoming Port

SSL

Yes

IMAP Authentication

Email address: Full Rogers Yahoo! email address
User Name: Full Rogers Yahoo! email address
Password: Rogers Yahoo! email password

Outgoing Server

smtp.broadband.rogers.com

Outgoing Port

SSL

Yes

SMTP Authentication

Email address: Full Rogers Yahoo! email address
User Name: Full Rogers Yahoo! email address
Password: Rogers Yahoo! email password

I've Been Around

Well, there's a little more to it than that. They're completely different protocols -- i.e. they deal with email differently POP3 downloads emails to your local machine; IMAP leaves them on the server.

If you're only working with a single device or machine with large storage capacity, then POP3 works just fine. If you're working on multiple devices or on a machine with limited local storage, then you will be better off using IMAP. If you want off-line access to your emails or attachments, then you need to stick with POP3 because IMAP will only give you access if you are connected.

Capisce?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RStocker wrote:

Well, there's a little more to it than that. They're completely different protocols -- i.e. they deal with email differently POP3 downloads emails to your local machine; IMAP leaves them on the server.

If you're only working with a single device or machine with large storage capacity, then POP3 works just fine. If you're working on multiple devices or on a machine with limited local storage, then you will be better off using IMAP. If you want off-line access to your emails or attachments, then you need to stick with POP3 because IMAP will only give you access if you are connected.

Capisce?

That is all true, however nowadays most people have e-mail synced to mulitple devices such as phones, tablets, and personal computers. So IMAP makes more sense, that way you can be on any device and lookup a specific e-mail, rather than only having it on one device. Also you can download IMAP e-mail/attachments to your phone/computer, rather than leaving it on the server. (I do it everyday with my iPhone)

Regardless people can decide if they want to use POP or IMAP, but with the current POP issues you can temporarily use IMAP to get your emails for now.

I've Been Around

I was trying to do this on my iPad, but it gave an error message that the IMAP server is not responding. Sigh. What an annoying evening.

I've Been Around

How do I change form POP to imap in Outlook 2016?  It looks like I have to delete the account and then set it up again from scratch.